The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisstbh

Thrawnald McDonald
Reaction score
A new age begins September 2, 2022. Journey to Middle-earth with The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power #LOTRonPrime #LOTR #LOTRROP

---

About "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth's history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.

It’s never a good start when you have to show off and bring attention to how authentic you are instead of letting the title sell itself.

They already didn’t trust their own artistic endeavors to elicit the emotional response from the audience that the property has built up since LOTR.

Amazon threw a ton of money at this. We'll see if it is good or not.

I'm willing to wait and see. Unlike many, while being an LOTR fan and Hobbit fan, both series had issues. That doesn't make me not a fan or not a collector.

Am not willing to shred this just because it isn't Peter Jackson redux.

Only 8 months to go...

I remember in the months before release how hesitant I was for FOTR.
Then I seen the first trailer and was super excited.
2nd trailer solidified it for me and then the movie for me,was nailed.
One of the greatest stories and movie trilogies ever made imo.

I will await the trailer feverishly and hope that Amazon can pull this off!!

Only 8 months to go...

I remember in the months before release how hesitant I was for FOTR.
Then I seen the first trailer and was super excited.
2nd trailer solidified it for me and then the movie for me,was nailed.
One of the greatest stories and movie trilogies ever made imo.

I will await the trailer feverishly and hope that Amazon can pull this off!!
I really hope they do.

Any reason why? Genuinely curious, haven’t really read any discussions on this on other sites.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/l...eature-strong-female-characters/1100-6496973/
Multi cultural and diverse Hobbits.

There are plenty of dark skinned people in Middle earth they could have used for "representation". People that would have fit the world and lore. But no. We're getting diverse Moari Hobbits.
Says plenty about their priorities and attitude toward Tolkiens work.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/l...eature-strong-female-characters/1100-6496973/
Multi cultural and diverse Hobbits.

There are plenty of dark skinned people in Middle earth they could have used for "representation". People that would have fit the world and lore. But no. We're getting diverse Moari Hobbits.
Says plenty about their priorities and attitude toward Tolkiens work.
But it says he plays a Harfoot, which are described as being Hobbits with darker skin. As far as I can see there are no official of a Harfoot from Tolkein, so how dark is certainly up for debate.

But it says he plays a Harfoot, which are described as being Hobbits with darker skin. As far as I can see there are no official of a Harfoot from Tolkein, so how dark is certainly up for debate.

Indeed. They may have been described as having "darker skin" but not being a mixed group of multiple ethnicities and does "darker skin" mean Lenny Henry?

Frankly I just don't have any faith in modern writers to adapt Tolkiens work. Especially when some of the earliest details about the show are centered around how diverse the cast is and assuring us there's strong female characters. It's all a bit of a red flag to me. I'd just rather sit it out.

Indeed. They may have been described as having "darker skin" but not being a mixed group of multiple ethnicities and does "darker skin" mean Lenny Henry?

Frankly I just don't have any faith in modern writers to adapt Tolkiens work. Especially when some of the earliest details about the show are centered around how diverse the cast is and assuring us there's strong female characters. It's all a bit of a red flag to me. I'd just rather sit I out.
I guess we're 50 years too late in asking that question.

I'll give it a fair shot regardless, Amazon have made some good TV in recent years, if nothing else I'm sure it will be a good spectacle given it's supposedly the most expensive show ever made.

I guess we're 50 years too late in asking that question.

I'll give it a fair shot regardless, Amazon have made some good TV in recent years, if nothing else I'm sure it will be a good spectacle given it's supposedly the most expensive show ever made.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. For me, Tolkiens work is something I just don't like being messed with.
I'd rather modern writers go off and create their own stuff and leave classics alone.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. For me, Tolkiens work is something I just don't like being messed with.
I'd rather modern writers go off and create their own stuff and leave classics alone.

As good as Peter Jackson's films were, there's never been a substitute for the magic of the original novels themselves. The writing is so evocative.

As good as Peter Jackson's films were, there's never been a substitute for the magic of the original novels themselves. The writing is so evocative.

Yes agreed.

And those films are 20 years old. Modern writers? Not for me.

I'm not really a book guy, so I guess my POV on things is slightly different. For me LOTR is the movies, not the books.

Not The Hobbit though, **** The Hobbit.

Oh I see, fair enough. Yeah if you're not really into the Tolkien books, I can see how you'd have a different view of things.
For me, these books are something really special and I don't want to see them adapted by people I just have no faith in to properly respect the subject matter.
Tolkien's works is one of the very few things I feel this protective over.
Yeah the Hobbit movies are just a tragedy. So much potential.
Instead of trying to make them as epics directly connected to the Peter Jackson LOTR, they should have told them as a quirky little fairy tale (and they ought to have been 2 movies at the most, not stretched into 3, though I do appreciate he was trying to get as much of Tolkien into it as possible). I could really see them as originally intended with Del Toro directing.
The way he presented the Troll market in Hellboy 2 or Pans Labyrinth.

Last edited:
Back