The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the show is more interesting if you know these things beforehand.
Agreed. I'll watch an episode and be kind of lost with the history referenced and then do a little research and it all becomes more interesting.

I wish the show had a 3-min "spoilers" history you could select prior to the episode that would catch you up on things referred to in the episode.

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode.

Not gonna lie

This is starting to feel more like…

Lord of the (bor)-Ring

I am starting to have the same issue with this as many of the Marvel and SW shows… Too much filler. I loved the first two episodes and parts of the last three have been good but man this all could have been told in 2.5 episodes instead of 5.

If there was more world building I think I would be ok with it but we just keep rehashing the same stuff every episode talking longer then a trip to mount Doom to get to the point.

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode.

Not gonna lie

This is starting to feel more like…

Lord of the (bor)-Ring

I am starting to have the same issue with this as many of the Marvel and SW shows… Too much filler. I loved the first two episodes and parts of the last three have been good but man this all could have been told in 2.5 episodes instead of 5.

If there was more world building I think I would be ok with it but we just keep rehashing the same stuff every episode talking longer then a trip to mount Doom to get to the point.
Unfortunately I've given up on the series.

Well, as the episodes come out it becomes clear to me that this is actually bad.
The production design looks kinda cheap, the dialogue isn't very inspired, the characters are run of the mill clichés... The story itself is interesting, so I'll keep watching but the script is pretty poor.
So yeah, I can't see 1 Billion Dollars here. Not quality-wise at any rate.

Well, as the episodes come out it becomes clear to me that this is actually bad.
The production design looks kinda cheap, the dialogue isn't very inspired, the characters are run of the mill clichés... The story itself is interesting, so I'll keep watching but the script is pretty poor.
So yeah, I can't see 1 Billion Dollars here. Not quality-wise at any rate.
Not in a million years would’ve anyone ever imagined that Andor would be better than TROP.

Arondir = Worst Field Commander Ever :ROFLMAO:

Spoiler Spoiler:

As others have said, this show is goofy and ill-conceived, but not yet bad enough to abandon it. I *do* want to see where they go with it, so it's not Book of Boba Fett levels of bad.

Wait, I hadn't seen the end of the episode yet. Oh no...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Well, it’s pretty at least. I’m not sure any of the big dramatic moments are hitting home… for me at least. I just can’t put my finger on what it is that isn’t quite working about this show. Anyone?

On a separate note please don’t ever make us have to sit through another bloody “inspiring” Bronwyn speech again.

Well, it’s pretty at least. I’m not sure any of the big dramatic moments are hitting home… for me at least. I just can’t put my finger on what it is that isn’t quite working about this show. Anyone?
Weak script and weak directing are the primary issues here.

Makes the big dramatic moments hollow. When you have something that's admittedly somewhat predictable in terms of tropes and general narrative with a known outcome, the only way to make it interesting is to get the audiences invested in the characters while making the narrative machinery believable enough.

I don't care about any of these characters, none of them are grounded or have enough depth, and they make idiotic decisions that strain suspension of disbelief while the plot amounts to a bunch of hand waving and conveniences.

Arondir and Bronwyn also have zero chemistry, but then again they are cardboard cut-outs so I guess that makes sense.

Weak script and weak directing are the primary issues here.

Makes the big dramatic moments hollow. When you have something that's admittedly somewhat predictable in terms of tropes and general narrative with a known outcome, the only way to make it interesting is to get the audiences invested in the characters while making the narrative machinery believable enough.

I don't care about any of these characters, none of them are grounded or have enough depth, and they make idiotic decisions that strain suspension of disbelief while the plot amounts to a bunch of hand waving and conveniences.

Arondir and Bronwyn also have zero chemistry, but then again they are cardboard cut-outs so I guess that makes sense.
You’ve hit the nail on the head there, thank you for explaining. Six episodes in we should really care about the characters, I feel next to nothing for any of them. Not that I’m calling the show bad or a total disaster or anything, it’s just nowhere near as good or epic as it thinks it is.

1664543881358.gif

Seeing this makes me glad Amazon cancelled The Dark Tower series. They’d have butchered that.

Stephen King butchered that himself.

The first four books were incredible. Off the charts.

The beginning of The Wolves of Calla showed massive promise. Then it all fell apart. SK showed he was more invested in finishing rather that completing the series. This was post car accident for him, so who knows, maybe he had a relapse and went back on the coke.

I still believe his last two Dark Tower books were written by someone else. Or mostly through someone else. Anne Rice was often accused of this, using her staff to write major sections of her later books.

I would have liked to have seen it make it to HBO. Then it would have gotten a 5 season/50 episode type treatment. Unfortunately books 2 and 3 would have been insanely expensive to film. Wizard and Glass could actually be a stand alone film.

The only way I could see the Dark Tower working as a series is if they cast Clint Eastwood, as King intended, as a narrator and shows Roland at the end of his life, and film all his scenes at one time ( in case Eastwood died) and have him "retell" his story. Then cast someone else as a younger Roland.

Get the right showrunner and leave them alone. I guess the question was if Bezos could have done that.

Arondir = Worst Field Commander Ever :ROFLMAO:

Spoiler Spoiler:

As others have said, this show is goofy and ill-conceived, but not yet bad enough to abandon it. I *do* want to see where they go with it, so it's not Book of Boba Fett levels of bad.
Wait, I hadn't seen the end of the episode yet. Oh no...

Spoiler Spoiler:
Wow, that’s a pretty harsh assessment of Arondir considering
Spoiler Spoiler:

I rather enjoyed this episode.

On a separate note please don’t ever make us have to sit through another bloody “inspiring” Bronwyn speech again.

Take half of the current budget ( roughly 35 million per episode after the splitting ) and make four different shows

Show #1 - Arondir and a company of Elven Rangers on some mission

Show #2 - The Navy of Numenor on some mission

Show #3 - The heated and longstanding conflict between Dwarves and Elves

Show #4 - An animated series starring Galadriel doing something.

So the three live action series would be 10 million per episode ( which is still a crapload of money to spend per episode) and some wiggle room plus what it costs to do an animated series.

Spread out your risk. Also allow room to breathe for actual character development.

The scope is too big right now. The smaller the basic storyline of the show, the more intimate you can get with the audience in terms of character development.

Part of the problem with Bronwyn is Nazanin Boniadi is just too good looking. It's distracting. It's very difficult to have immersion and ask audiences to see her as some poor downtrodden farmer woman. She was close to perfectly cast in Counterpart, but here, not so much.

Take half of the current budget ( roughly 35 million per episode after the splitting ) and make four different shows

Show #1 - Arondir and a company of Elven Rangers on some mission

Show #2 - The Navy of Numenor on some mission

Show #3 - The heated and longstanding conflict between Dwarves and Elves

Show #4 - An animated series starring Galadriel doing something.

So the three live action series would be 10 million per episode ( which is still a crapload of money to spend per episode) and some wiggle room plus what it costs to do an animated series.

Spread out your risk. Also allow room to breathe for actual character development.

The scope is too big right now. The smaller the basic storyline of the show, the more intimate you can get with the audience in terms of character development.

Part of the problem with Bronwyn is Nazanin Boniadi is just too good looking. It's distracting. It's very difficult to have immersion and ask audiences to see her as some poor downtrodden farmer woman. She was close to perfectly cast in Counterpart, but here, not so much.
Her perfect white straight teeth was the norm in medieval times so the show is pretty accurate. :monkey1

Back