The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone who never watched the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies and only ever read the one Hobbit book this does not grab my interest at all but youtube recommended this video to me and it made me lol. I guess folk dislike the look of this show?

As someone who never watched the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies and only ever read the one Hobbit book this does not grab my interest at all but youtube recommended this video to me and it made me lol. I guess folk dislike the look of this show?

There are outrage channels that hate the look of every upcoming movie and show these days :lol

There are outrage channels that hate the look of every upcoming movie and show these days :lol
There are many, and some probably do it just for views. But some of the anger is justified, and rightly so. Don't bunch all the complainers into the same pile. Listen to the arguments first before judging disgruntled fans.

This Amazon LOTR show is a doozy, as far as how far it is straying from the original source material. Amazon is crapping on Tolkien even more than Disney is on Lucas. If you think Star Wars fans are passionate, they got nothing on diehard LOTR fans!!! :lol

There are many, and some probably do it just for views. But some of the anger is justified, and rightly so. Don't bunch all the complainers into the same pile. Listen to the arguments first before judging disgruntled fans.

This Amazon LOTR show is a doozy, as far as how far it is straying from the original source material. Amazon is crapping on Tolkien even more than Disney is on Lucas. If you think Star Wars fans are passionate, they got nothing on diehard LOTR fans!!! :lol

Haven't they only got the license for LOTR and the Hobbit? So this series is mostly made up by their writers?

Made up by the writers usually results in poor quality adaptation. That is a bad sign already but no problem for me as I have no interest anyway, but I do truly hope it ends up being great so the LOTR fans don't have to experience their beloved franchise go the way of almost all the others: the slow death of bad adaptations/sequels/remakes and general mediocrity.

Last edited:
I noticed there is a lot of negativity but coming from the Star Wars fandom I find most (not all but quite a bit) of the outrage on youtube directed at Star Wars to be grounded in actual valid criticism. I have no idea if that is the case when it comes to LOTR and DR Who etc as I do not care about franchises like those but if they are making similar points (such as bad writing, ignoring canon, low production value etc etc etc) then maybe they are correct. I know the Halo tv adaptation was terrible and when I went on to youtube, Rotten Tomatoes etc etc almsot all my complaints about that bad adaptation were echoed there.

With the outrage channels I get hating the constant negativity (especially if you actually enjoy the content they are complaining about) but do you consider any of their points valid? Or do you dismiss out of hand in a shoot the messenger sort of fashion?? I actually do not care who makes a statement so long as it is true but I get not giving as much weight to a good point if it comes from a disingenuous rage baiter. However, if ponts are made then their validity should be adressed separate from the individual making them, so I guess the TLDR is this: are you dismissing the rage baiters because they are just haters with no good points or do they make good points but get dismissed anyway? In the case of this show I do not actually know.

Edit: I think I already wrote a long essay above but since I have a few mins with nowt to do I will add:

I recall in University learning about certain psychological conditions and one that stuck out that I cannot recall the name of was how Chinese citizens were conditioned to be unable to separate critism of their gov from critism of themselves because it was all entwined in their minds, part of their identity and emotional state, so if any negative comment was made against said gov or even a particular policy they would have a sort of emotional knee jerk reaction, though they could not on an intellectual level counter any points made they would simply reject and attack in a sort of "lalala I cant hear you, now shut up" kind of way. I recall a classmate said what I was thinking when she stated that it was not unique to Chinese folk (of course it isn't, it is simply more common) and I mentioned football fans I knew who were the same way with football.
I think this effect explains a lot of the polarizing hostility in pop culture when sub par products come along (not saying this show will follow that pattern, it might end up great, I will follow the thread to see what fans here think).
When an adaptation/entry is bad 3 groups form: those who kinda don't care as they are casual viewers who aren't invested, then there are the "haters" who are fans hurt to see their beloved franchise being mishandled because they are invested in the franchise then finally there are the fanboys who love brand no matter what, they defend it because it is entwined with their identity, who react emotionally to any criticism as if it is an attack on them personally.

I think that the two latter groups then get more extreme due to the echo chamber effect of online algorithms resulting in the haters becoming uber haters negative about everything, such as when youtubers say Solo was completely terrible despite it actually being an ok movie, it was simply caught up in the backlash against the Last Jedi so they looked for reasons to hate it and confirmation bias prevented them seeing its merits. Meanwhile, the fanboys are unable to counter the 60-70% of critism that is valid coming from the haters and so instead of countering the points and offering good arguments, they just attack the critics directly and usually lump anyone critical of the brand in with the uber haters.
I think that toxic negativity exists but so does toxic positivity, and when I see a post or video critical of something being dismissed with "another hater" style of response (avoiding countering any points, instead attacking the person) I cant help but feel that the psychological effect I mentioned earlier is at play.

I guess what I am not really doing a good job of asking in my long rambling post is this: do the haters have valid points? If not, what are the rebuttals?

What are reasons some think this LOTR show will be trash and what are the reasons others think it won't be? Is this show going the way of Halo/TBOBF or is it getting unjust hate like Solo?

Last edited:
THE ENEMY IS STILL OUT THERE!
IT IS OVER!
I HAVE SEEN THINGS!

WE MOVE FORWARD OR DIE!

Damn, where else will one find such inspired dialogue, accompanied by such phenomenal acting?!

original.gif

I'm not even going to pirate it.

THE ENEMY IS STILL OUT THERE!
IT IS OVER!
I HAVE SEEN THINGS!

WE MOVE FORWARD OR DIE!

Damn, where else will one find such inspired dialogue, accompanied by such phenomenal acting?!

original.gif

I'm not even going to pirate it.
I have Amazon Prime and I won't be watching it.

Back