The Glory and Splendor of Classical and Ancient Warriors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's here!

The real chain mail is a score. The portrait is not good at all, but there are some options out there.

There are some nice pieces here, but also some things that will need some work. For instance, some paint colors and weathering choices were not great.

The high boots have zero articulation making this figure a challenge to pose.

The shield is plastic, but the weapons are die-cast.

Nevertheless, the bones are pretty good, although the Pangaea version might be better out of the box.
e2f554c81cac58e3726bfc2c0e6c806a.jpg
ee77cd53201f58ffe2afa4b955f645a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting your pics and review, gin007.

It's definitely a good starting point for anyone looking for this character in 1/6 scale.

I just don't see enough goodness to offset the price.

- That colosseum backdrop piece would never see the light of day.
- The body and head sculpt would be immediately replaced.
- I think the only parts I would end up keeping would be the great looking chainmail, the shin guards and the boots, as I have the outfit, armor, sword and shield from the Pangea release.

Will wait for Ebay or TA in order to pick up those loose parts, if available.

Already on ebay

I also only really like the chainmail, but since I already have some long arm chainmail I'm not sure I want to spend another 100 on one of these

Yeah depending on the number of parts you need, you are always better of buying the whole figure.

I wonder how high the prices will go next few years for figures. I can't imagine people paying much higher prices for parts. I'm already at a limit what I'm willing to spend for stuff like boots, belts or arm/shin/leg protection. Only thing I spend higher amounts are probably chain armor or good looking coats. "Bigger parts"
All this small stuff adds up too much, especially if we compare it to real life outfits lol

Heng Toys Prince of Persia
7a30cc481583e829f63a71e3335b393c.jpg
8f6cc2d2c66977d909f97ffaaf5b8f86.jpg

Thanks for posting your pics and review, gin007.

It's definitely a good starting point for anyone looking for this character in 1/6 scale.

I just don't see enough goodness to offset the price.

- That colosseum backdrop piece would never see the light of day.
- The body and head sculpt would be immediately replaced.
- I think the only parts I would end up keeping would be the great looking chainmail, the shin guards and the boots, as I have the outfit, armor, sword and shield from the Pangea release.

Will wait for Ebay or TA in order to pick up those loose parts, if available.

Gladiator arrived last week. Head sculpt isn't terrible, but doesn't look like Crowe. I already had a couple of replacements so not a big deal. The body also needs to be upgraded due to the distracting joints. Would also add some dirt, blood and weathering. The metal armor is pretty incredible, however the breast piece is way too big. I wonder if I can find someone who can trim and contour it to be more screen accurate (maybe Fullmetal?). Shin guards could also be squeezed in more. The helmet is too big and bulky. I think I have an old custom around somewhere but need to check around. Agree this is a good starting point. The metal armor definitely sets it apart. But it will take some work to make into a perfect Maximus. I also picked up one of the female gladiators. At some point I'll figure a way to get her dirtied up and battle scarred so she looks like a warrior as opposed to a model. I think something like sand bases with a decapitated head in helmet, limbs, a couple of broken weapons, and a broken chariot wheel could make for a good display idea. The backdrop piece may work if placed well behind the figures.
Would be nice to see a white and/or black outfit Commodus and Lucilla at some point.

Thanks for the review. It appears to have similar negatives to the General Maximus figure. For the price, it should have been better, all around.

A Commodus in that outfit would be amazing.

I recently picked up the HY Toys Imperial Army Greek Heavy Infantry figure. I love the outfit and the look, but felt the exposed elbows and knees were a bit much. Here is a before and after with a TB league body swap. The TB is a bit shorter, but the heft is perfect for all the metal armor on this guy:

Original:

greek-orig.jpg

Seamless:

greek-tbleague.jpg

He looks much better without the joints! Since you've got him in hand, can you tell me if the shield is metal or plastic and if the pteruges that hangs off the chest armor - can you tell if its real leather or is it pleather? TIA!

He looks much better without the joints! Since you've got him in hand, can you tell me if the shield is metal or plastic and if the pteruges that hangs off the chest armor - can you tell if its real leather or is it pleather? TIA!

The shield is plastic, and for me that is fine. It's painted really well, which my photos don't show. I have found metal shields hard for the figures to hold in every position. The armor belts are pleather. One other thing for this figure that I only discovered when I did the body swap was the connectors for the shoulder pieces at first were held by duct tape (!), but once I took the duct tape off, I discovered they were connected with fabric belts, which here looks like leather

TB League -- Tutankhamun3210362d-eabc-44fa-bbfb-c85e065d5d46.jpg69a1a365-70dc-4eec-97ee-efbe31985877.jpg

Back