The Expanse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Expanse is my favorite series currently on TV—sci-fi or otherwise. I always tell folks they need to get about 4-5 shows in. I remember trying to watch it when it first came out and only got about one and a half episodes in (Thomas Jane in the fedora got on my nerves). A friend convinced me to give it another shot when S5 was 2 episodes in. I binged S1-S4 in about a week or so then watched each remaining episode the day it dropped. It's a bit of a slow burn at first due to the necessity for world building and character introduction, and there are a couple of lags in the storytelling, but overall it's a great series with an overarching narrative. The 6th (and final) season is already off to a solid start. I much prefer series that have a definitive end point as opposed to those that overstay their welcome.
I really hated the way exposition was handled in the first episode... it felt contrived and clumsy to me at the time. But everyone I knew who had got further into it was just raving about it so one night when I had nothing better to do I gave it another shot. One thing I came to love about it was that it didn't take itself too seriously, even as it was building this huge, diverse world/universe and fleshing out pretty complex characters.

The show ended beautifully IMO. That said, there are rumors they "ended" the show because how some legacy contracts with SyFy and "ending" the series effectively gives Amazon free(er) reign to adapt the rest of the books. Hopefully there is truth to that.

I have not read the books, but now I probably will. While I would love to see more shows based on that universe, I am happy where it ended. Season 6 was too short IMO but I am happy we were given that.

I did not know there were additional content per episode.... Now I have to rewatch this season to see them all. Also, an excellent analysis of episode 6:

Finale was great, obviously left a lot open so hopefully we get a sequel series or something one day. Nice little tease in the credits for what may never come.

Everyone in the Expanse crew and cast seem very chill about the "cancellation". It really gives me hope that maybe they have something in the pipeline to finish adapting the last 3 books.

This show was truly one of the best of the last few years, and it managed to end perfectly. No mean feat.
Since the next three books are set thirty years in the future and with a completely new set of characters, I doubt any of the cast would show up if they were adapted.

Season 5. I've found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of Naomi's scenes and wishing she'd just die.

Season 5. I've found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of Naomi's scenes and wishing she'd just die.
They really lean into her emoting to the point of scenery chewing at times. I mean ... they put her in a pretty desperate situation so I see what they were aiming for.

I tried with this show. Watched up until the 3rd or 4th episode I think but just couldn't get into it.

Yeah, she quickly became an annoyance for me.
I tried with this show. Watched up until the 3rd or 4th episode I think but just couldn't get into it.
That's unfortunate, I think it might be some of the best sci-fi ever (especially on the small screen). It's similar to Breaking Bad in the sense that it takes a good few episodes to get going.

Yeah, she quickly became an annoyance for me.

That's unfortunate, I think it might be some of the best sci-fi ever (especially on the small screen). It's similar to Breaking Bad in the sense that it takes a good few episodes to get going.

I really struggled to get into Last Kingdom too. Took a few attempts before I got into it. Glad I stuck with it though.
So many people have said its great (Expanse) that I want to like it, just cant seem to engage with it.
Is there a particular episode where it clicks and the story really gets going? An episode I should power through to.

I really struggled to get into Last Kingdom too. Took a few attempts before I got into it. Glad I stuck with it though.
So many people have said its great (Expanse) that I want to like it, just cant seem to engage with it.
Is there a particular episode where it clicks and the story really gets going? An episode I should power through to.
I can’t really pinpoint it honestly, at a certain point it just clicks. I’ve convinced a couple of people to watch it and they felt the same as you do then ended up hooked.

I really do think this is one of the best sci-fi series ever committed to screen. But it didn't grab me at first. The characters took some time to develop into 'people', the FX in the early seasons looked a little low budget, and I didn't love the hard-boiled detective trope.

I can't tell you when it all crossed over for me but I now love this show.

Back