The Expanse

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, the characters do take some time to develop, and the low budget is really apparent early on. I don't want to guarantee that everyone will like it as much as I do, but I gave up watching it first time round.

As for Naomi, being where she's at now I'm ok with all the emoting - plot-wise it's an interesting scenario and I'm at the stage where the tension is building with a bunch of character arcs about to meet. It was all the family stuff beforehand that did me in. I understand the emoting in that too, but... ah, she just s**ts me :lol

and the low budget is really apparent early on.
Funny thing ... I thought they had more money when Amazon bought them to continue the series, but a friend who worked on it told me otherwise. It's just that the show really became a labour of love for the crew, and it shows.

It's definitely one of the best shows as far as I'm concerned. It does make a few odd twists and turns in seasons 1-3, but after that it settles nicely into its narrative. And once Inaros comes into the scene you have one of the best villains TV has produced. Highly recommended.

I really struggled to get into Last Kingdom too. Took a few attempts before I got into it. Glad I stuck with it though.
So many people have said its great (Expanse) that I want to like it, just cant seem to engage with it.
Is there a particular episode where it clicks and the story really gets going? An episode I should power through to.
For me, it was a slow build to the final of the first season before the hook. The search for Julie Mao dominates the storyline and when that gets to where it's going (no spoilers) you get the existential protagonist properly introduced and from there you will want to see more.

The belter lingo can be a bit of a barrier for a lot of people too.

Season 5. I've found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of Naomi's scenes and wishing she'd just die.

What was jarring for me is that the actress, Tipper, doesn't look that much older than the actor who played her "son", Filip.

They looked like siblings. In which case, I know this might sound like heresy to the book readers and book fans, but maybe that would have been better for the story. If Naomi had to leave her little brother behind and he was co-opted and used by Marco Inares in his cause.

Losing Alex was a problem. He had such great chemistry with everyone. That was something that no one else in the cast could control.

I loved the series but felt like they ran out of story in the last season and maybe the last third of the previous season before it. The last episode ever just seemed anticlimactic in some ways.

I do wish we saw more of the Belter life. I think that's an aspect of the show that was often "told" more than "shown"

I think Naomi was supposed to have gotten pregnant at a young age, hence their relative closeness to age. I think she had him between age 17-19, and Filip was supposed to be in his late teens in the series. This would put Naomi in her mid thirties.

What was jarring for me is that the actress, Tipper, doesn't look that much older than the actor who played her "son", Filip.

They looked like siblings. In which case, I know this might sound like heresy to the book readers and book fans, but maybe that would have been better for the story. If Naomi had to leave her little brother behind and he was co-opted and used by Marco Inares in his cause.

Losing Alex was a problem. He had such great chemistry with everyone. That was something that no one else in the cast could control.

I loved the series but felt like they ran out of story in the last season and maybe the last third of the previous season before it. The last episode ever just seemed anticlimactic in some ways.

I do wish we saw more of the Belter life. I think that's an aspect of the show that was often "told" more than "shown"
I think that’s just extreme nitpicking. The actress for Naomi is in her 30’s and the actor for Filip was 17 I’m sure. It was always implied that she was relatively young when she was with Marco, it’s not unheard of for 16-18 year olds to have kids. Plus it’s the Belt.

Who are you referring to? Spoiler tag it just in case.
Spoiler Spoiler:

just another reason to hate Naomi :lol

I also read that in season 6 there’s a bunch of tension between Naomi and Peaches. Great. More Naomi drama to wade through :gah:

That scene between Amos and Holden when Amos comes aboard tho… priceless :rotfl

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm spoiler tagging even though this was two seasons or so ago. Am I not merciful?

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons, but that's a big number coming forward and given how well he played up the sleaze in his character I'm not surprised. Just read that season 6 is the last season... what a bummer.

I'm not one to jump on bandwagons, but that's a big number coming forward and given how well he played up the sleaze in his character I'm not surprised. Just read that season 6 is the last season... what a bummer.
Last season for that arc. The story jumps forward in time between the books. It's expected to do the same for the series.

Last season for that arc. The story jumps forward in time between the books. It's expected to do the same for the series.
Has there been something official on the series front yet? I cancelled my Amazon Prime Video after season 6.

It's likely that it's the 'last season' for arcane contractual reasons. Nothing confirmed that I know of but the story will likely be continued, possibly as a spin-off or something. They chose a good end point but it's definitely wide open.

Back