The Crow reboot with Bill Skarsgard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that is inevitable. Like any other popular franchise. They're just going down the list. I have zero hope for the TV series that's supposedly coming.

The art of original filmmaking is just about gone forever because of the... ahem.. folks that run the industry today. They're talentless. And originality requires talent.
Lol and guess what they are about to reboot already with a shared universe? Halloween! lol.

So afriad to take risk anymore. That last movie was garbage.

That looks horrendous.

As someone who read the graphic novel back in the day after seeing the first film, this thing completely ignores the source material in every way.

I hope they lose a ton of money.
I'm not famiiar with the original graphic novel only saw the movie. How does this ignore the source material? Just wondering.

In any case, I just do not understand the logic behind the majority of remakes. It's pretty much always a generic, poor man's version of what came before. So again, why bother and are modern audiences clueless to this franchise?

Remakes align to "cost certainty", which is solid gold in just about any industry. I'm not saying fans should agree with it, or not, just that from a business rationale, it's not totally insane.

There are actuaries who crunch the numbers and project out when a "remake/reboot" should come out. The goal is to maximize the IP. For example, the Indiana Jones franchise is one where it's commonly cited, quietly, that it left money on the table. Obviously it was hampered by Harrison Ford being a long time A list movie star, and there was a long period in his career where he was only chasing roles he thought could help him win an Oscar. So his availability wasn't predictable.

If you watch Hunger Games at 13-16 years old, well you aren't likely working at that point to make your own money. How about 30 years later when you are 45 years old, and in theory, in your prime earning years? Or at 35, when you are in much more coveted marketing demographic? Previous films didn't take advantage of the synergy in the marketing and roll outs as well. Now you have a "universe", with a potential trilogy, video games, merchandise, action figures, graphic novels, etc, etc, all tied into it.

Had Brandon Lee lived, we might have gotten a Crow 2, 3, 4 and an origin story with him, and maybe he's not held in the same light. Same as James Dean. What if he didn't die young? Did anyone want to see James Dean reduced to scraping by for money doing cameos for Hallmark films as a geriatric?

I get why the studios, bean counters and marketing people want remakes/reboots. I also understand why many fans abhor them.

My take is I'll give them a chance. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. If not, I'll fast forward to any good action scenes or any good sex scenes/spectacle involved. There are plenty of good individual scenes in otherwise moderately OK or less films out there. ( The "wire" scene in Ghost Ship is one. Hold The Dark has an action scene that is both wildly unrealistic but also slightly plausible at the same time)

Whether or not this film works or not, what it will do is raise awareness of the 1994 original with Brandon Lee to an entirely new generation that might not have known much about it otherwise. It might make them curious and they might go see the original too. And they might come to that conclusion too, that the original is better. More eyes on the original is still a win for those who love Brandon Lee. I want to give Bill Skarsgard a chance. He's a great physical actor and here's an opportunity for some dramatic chops to roll out for him. Also looks like FKA Twigs, a non actor by trade, might also roll out some good sex scenes too. Or she might surprise everyone and show up with a great dramatic performance.

You are right, most remakes/reboots are pretty lackluster. But most of the time I try to find the win whenever I can. Your mileage might vary on that, and that's OK too. Just some thoughts.

pcs19fyd1boc1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not famiiar with the original graphic novel only saw the movie. How does this ignore the source material? Just wondering.

The only thing that it has in common from the graphic novel - from what we've seen so far in the trailer - is their names.

Saying that, the original movie added a lot to the graphic novel. Top Dollar, and his sister and the Tony Todd characters weren't part of it, T-Bird and the gang were the main antagonists. But it was at least 60% (from memory) was true to the novel. Having read it after seeing the film, it definitely felt like it was a good adaption that enhanced the original story.

Who knows, this might do the same, but watching the trailer felt like a generic, soulless, 2024 sensibilities, by-the-numbers, borefest.

Romulus? Supposedly a trailer is imminent, whatwith the film releasing later this year.

I don't know what it was called, Dane just called it Alien (whatever number), and said it was suffering from the usual studio interference and that the director was banging his head against a brick wall.

Back