The Boys (on Prime Video) 1/6th scale figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL Superman would destroy Homelander.

As far as HT or any other 1/6 scale company, I?d probably be interested in Homelander, Maeve and Starlight.

Hot Toys would never touch this with a ten foot pole...They do not do TV shows...and with very very minor exceptions do not do figures from non Disney or DC properties...Alita and John Wick slipped through but in today?s Hot Toys that is the exception not the norm.

*Cough* *Cough* Mandalorian *Cough*

A major Disney property. They also did Daredevil and Punisher but that was in the middle of the Marvel craze.

They are *highly* unlikely to go near a property like The Boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Toys would never touch this with a ten foot pole...They do not do TV shows...and with very very minor exceptions do not do figures from non Disney or DC properties...Alita and John Wick slipped through but in today?s Hot Toys that is the exception not the norm.

Punisher Ghost rider, Daredevil, The Flash, The Mandalorian(Plus IG-11, incinerator trooper, Death Trooper, heavy Mandalorian, Scout trooper), Clone Wars Anakin(Plus Ahsoka, Rex, Coruscant Guard, Darth Maul), amongst others. We are up to TMS25(Tv Masterpiece Series), in case you’re counting.
Although they probably won’t touch this, there is evidence online to support the idea that they do occasionally make figures from TV shows.
Also, if you do a check online, you will see they have plenty non-Disney and non DC figures. It’s not “very few exceptions”.

A major Disney property. They also did Daredevil and Punisher but that was in the middle of the Marvel craze.

They are *highly* unlikely to go near a property like The Boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly...Mandalorian is Star Wars IP first and a TV show second and Hot Toys is of course all in on Star Wars.

Punisher Ghost rider, Daredevil, The Flash, The Mandalorian(Plus IG-11, incinerator trooper, Death Trooper, heavy Mandalorian, Scout trooper), Clone Wars Anakin(Plus Ahsoka, Rex, Coruscant Guard, Darth Maul), amongst others. We are up to TMS25(Tv Masterpiece Series), in case you?re counting.
Although they probably won?t touch this, there is evidence online to support the idea that they do occasionally make figures from TV shows.
Also, if you do a check online, you will see they have plenty non-Disney and non DC figures. It?s not ?very few exceptions?.

This is all Star Wars...I established that Hot Toys is all on Star Wars that happens to be on TV as well as a whole bunch of other places...The others things that you mentioned were all Marvel (Disney) or DC...are you beginning to see a pattern? You are mistaken if you think that there are more than a few exceptions to TODAY?s Hot Toys venturing away from Disney and DC.
I don?t need to do a check online I can check my own shelves. I have been buying these things since 2009 and sadly watched my non Disney or DC options dwindle away over the years.

I think the acting on this show is overlooked. Carl Urban does such a great job. I rewatched the scene between Butcher and John Noble as his father (Eomer and Denathor) and that scene was so well done with amazing chemistry between both actors. Butcher’s scene with Vogelbaum was also fun to watch.

I just saw that there’s actually an official “The Boys” store on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/stores/TheBoys/TheBoys/page/29E29489-B4B8-402A-874F-80FBC67E86FA
At first I thought it was just a parody promo (which in part it is), but it looks like you can order merchandise like t-shirts and Funco Pops. Why Amazon isn’t releasing its own action figures is beyond me. I’m sure they’d get blowback if they released Kenner style 5” figures aimed at kids, but they could probably offer 12” figures for teens and adults and 1/6 scale premium collectible figures. I wonder if anyone like ThreeZero, Asmus, Blitzway, or one of the smaller producers has already pitched them.

I think the acting on this show is overlooked. Carl Urban does such a great job. I rewatched the scene between Butcher and John Noble as his father (Eomer and Denathor) and that scene was so well done with amazing chemistry between both actors. Butcher’s scene with Vogelbaum was also fun to watch.

I just saw that there’s actually an official “The Boys” store on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/stores/TheBoys/TheBoys/page/29E29489-B4B8-402A-874F-80FBC67E86FA
At first I thought it was just a parody promo (which in part it is), but it looks like you can order merchandise like t-shirts and Funco Pops. Why Amazon isn’t releasing its own action figures is beyond me. I’m sure they’d get blowback if they released Kenner style 5” figures aimed at kids, but they could probably offer 12” figures for teens and adults and 1/6 scale premium collectible figures. I wonder if anyone like ThreeZero, Asmus, Blitzway, or one of the smaller producers has already pitched them.

They are releasing figures, NECA is making Homelander and Starlight to start.

I think he means why don’t Amazon create their own action figure line for their property. It’s probably way less hassle and just as financially viable to simply hire out the license to other companies. No R&D or production costs- just ‘give us money and we’ll let you do the work.’

I’d rather we get unlicensed 1:6 figures of Butcher and The Seven. It keeps costs down and paint and tailoring is usually at a completely satisfactory standard.
Toys Era, Toys Works, Eleven, SooSoo Toys, Virtual Toys, Art Figures, random customisers on Instagram; who needs Hot Toys?

I think he means why don?t Amazon create their own action figure line for their property. It?s probably way less hassle and just as financially viable to simply hire out the license to other companies. No R&D or production costs- just ?give us money and we?ll let you do the work.?

I?d rather we get unlicensed 1:6 figures of Butcher and The Seven. It keeps costs down and paint and tailoring is usually at a completely satisfactory standard.
Toys Era, Toys Works, Eleven, SooSoo Toys, Virtual Toys, Art Figures, random customisers on Instagram; who needs Hot Toys?

if I recall correctly, DC axed their own in-house DC Collectibles/Direct and now farm out a lot of it to Mcfarlane Toys.

I see why this is might be prudent from a business aspect, by eliminating overhead and just licensing out merchandise.

But at the same time, in this particular case I feel like it limits the variety of products for the consumer. Mcfarlane usually caters to upper lower and middle tier market and are mostly strictly figures in the $20-30 range. Whereas I think DC Collectibles had a mix of products including some semi premium statues that I liked.

And I agree that unlicensed 3rd party companies these day produce some good figures and rival the top 1/6 companies. Although there is no guarantee that the licensed figures will look better, they are put to a higher standard by the licensor so odds are they will - the main thing is the accuracy sculpt.

I just got the Star Ace Kill Bill Bride - that was licensed but a hot mess. Luckily I own the superior custom Iminime too.

I think he means why don’t Amazon create their own action figure line for their property. It’s probably way less hassle and just as financially viable to simply hire out the license to other companies. No R&D or production costs- just ‘give us money and we’ll let you do the work.’

Yeah, that isn't generally how companies like to handle their IP.
They make shows and hope people want to licence the IP.
They *seldom* solicit people to take on licences, instead waiting on licensors to approach them and ask for a deal to manufacture their products. One example of the other way is i have a file a friend sent to me from late 2000, and is an RSVP invitation sent out to companies who normally buy SW licences, asking them to come to an AOTC presentation. As SW memorabilia is released as the movie comes to market, they must want to show potential licensors the art work, or specific visuals to try and get them to take on a licensing deal.

if I recall correctly, DC axed their own in-house DC Collectibles/Direct and now farm out a lot of it to Mcfarlane Toys.

I see why this is might be prudent from a business aspect, by eliminating overhead and just licensing out merchandise.

That DC Direct collapsing and closing down is a weird one. It was the best of all worlds. DC kept their licences to themselves for those particular statues and products and only had the manufacturing overheads. All their artists were contracted in house, and DC didn't have any third parties to pay, and kept all the profit. They were able to make a lot of cool comic covers as statues that perhaps a normal licensor might not have touched.
The only thing i can think is that their QC(And some of the statue design) was atrocious, and perhaps their sales suffered near the end as a result. There were entire runs of certain statues that just arrived broken(The Kiss with Superman and Wonder Woman springs to mind, but there were others). I'm guessing that the money it cost to retool statues and replace others must have made the whole thing unfeasible. They did give it a decent go, though, and lasted a while. It's a shame as they had a lot of cool stuff on the go. My Brother has a shelf at work with all the DC Superman statues. He collected their whole line. The dude in charge often sent him advance copies of new statues for him to review.

Yeah, that isn't generally how companies like to handle their IP.
They make shows and hope people want to licence the IP.
They *seldom* solicit people to take on licences, instead waiting on licensors to approach them and ask for a deal to manufacture their products. One example of the other way is i have a file a friend sent to me from late 2000, and is an RSVP invitation sent out to companies who normally buy SW licences, asking them to come to an AOTC presentation. As SW memorabilia is released as the movie comes to market, they must want to show potential licensors the art work, or specific visuals to try and get them to take on a licensing deal.

That DC Direct collapsing and closing down is a weird one. It was the best of all worlds. DC kept their licences to themselves for those particular statues and products and only had the manufacturing overheads. All their artists were contracted in house, and DC didn't have any third parties to pay, and kept all the profit. They were able to make a lot of cool comic covers as statues that perhaps a normal licensor might not have touched.
The only thing i can think is that their QC(And some of the statue design) was atrocious, and perhaps their sales suffered near the end as a result. There were entire runs of certain statues that just arrived broken(The Kiss with Superman and Wonder Woman springs to mind, but there were others). I'm guessing that the money it cost to retool statues and replace others must have made the whole thing unfeasible. They did give it a decent go, though, and lasted a while. It's a shame as they had a lot of cool stuff on the go. My Brother has a shelf at work with all the DC Superman statues. He collected their whole line. The dude in charge often sent him advance copies of new statues for him to review.

Thanks for the insight regarding licensors and DC Direct, I had not thought through all the inner workings and you articulated them well.

Yeah, having an in-house staff led to a lot of creative collectibles that might never of been made.

Until you pointed it out, I forgot those Kiss statues (based on Jim Lee Hush) were from DC Direct - those are still amongst my favorite pieces, regardless of scale or IP.

I do not recall QC issues with the Batman/Catwoman kiss but you are correct, the Superman/Wonder Woman kiss statue pictured below had severe issues with the leg of WW breaking off from the attached cloud. It appears to be a design flaw, they did not factor the distribution of weight and should of provided better structural support.

BBTS gave me a partial credit and I was able glue mine back together. But I am playing it safe - I currently have one side of the statue pressed against the glass wall for support - and several clear fishing lines tied to the Detolf metal columns for additional support. [emoji23]

They are lovely statues but DC Direct must of taken a huge loss on this statue as you mentioned.

What channel does your brother do his YouTube statue reviews?

d9ce9e7bf8f8c3bc8b79fd28d383d67f.jpg

Thanks for the insight regarding licensors and DC Direct, I had not thought through all the inner workings and you articulated them well.

Yeah, with almost all IP content owners these days, they just make good content(Hopefully), and hope people come flocking to them to buy licences.
A friend of mine made SW themed Hawaiian shirts back in the day, and all he did was approach them and ask how much a licence was. They asked for samples of what he planned to make to check the quality(SW doesn't like to lend it's name to inferior products), and they asked him how many he planned to make and what price point. They came back with a $30,000 licencing fee, and that covered him for a five year period. He really ramped up his designs and had to make way more than he normally would, just to turn a profit.

Yeah, having an in-house staff led to a lot of creative collectibles that might never of been made.

Until you pointed it out, I forgot those Kiss statues (based on Jim Lee Hush) were from DC Direct - those are still amongst my favorite pieces, regardless of scale or IP.

I do not recall QC issues with the Batman/Catwoman kiss but you are correct, the Superman/Wonder Woman kiss statue pictured below had severe issues with the leg of WW breaking off from the attached cloud. It appears to be a design flaw, they did not factor the distribution of weight and should of provided better structural support.

BBTS gave me a partial credit and I was able glue mine back together. But I am playing it safe - I currently have one side of the statue pressed against the glass wall for support - and several clear fishing lines tied to the Detolf metal columns for additional support. [emoji23]

They are lovely statues but DC Direct must of taken a huge loss on this statue as you mentioned.

My Brother has several of those and never got one that didn't break.
They managed to track the problem down to the styrofoam packing being the wrong shape. It was just the difference of a few square cm, which, if removed, would have put no pressure on the leg joint. But when the statue was clamped into the box, it put so much torque on the leg, it always snapped. My Brother is also friendly with the guy who sculpted that statue(Amongst many others), and he even sent him an unproduced DC statue. DC had commissioned it and paid him for it, but in the end, cancelled it. He sent the painted proto to my Brother, and he has it here at work, on display in his detolf in his office as it's one of his fave pieces(Although his full scale Cavill Suit in a Mannequin is probably the total fave, and always raises eyebrows when people come into his office for the first time).

What channel does your brother do his YouTube statue reviews?

He doesn't have any recent content on there. I think he mostly posts on Facebook these days as he's too busy with work, but he does have a review room up here at work, with a full lighting setup. He just doesn't get much time these days, as we are both busier with work, and our Dad has developed dementia, so we share the looking after duties.
In case you want to see any of his Superman related stuff and hear reviews of old statues with a Scottish accent, his channel is Stewmurray47:

https://www.youtube.com/user/stewmurray47/videos

Back