The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My copy of the steelbook for Dragonslayer has been shipped. I sure hopes it works on a UK player!

From what I've seen and read it's a stellar disk, with an amazing transfer and great special features including a commentary with Guillermo Del Toro.

And Vermithrax Perjorative is indeed the coolest dragon ever committed to celluloid.
If it's 4k, it will work in any country as they got rid of regions for 4k.

Bought 4K Dragonslayer and watched it. Damn the cinematography in that movie is gorgeous. And the visuals definitely looked better in a number of areas, whether due to being recomposited or tweaked more substantially I can't say. @JAWS I instantly noticed the DNR in the final battle, I'm guessing it was added as a sort of blend to the many overlapping opticals. I'm glad it was for just that one sequence.

Dragonfire, nudity, gore. Disney gave us GOT waaay before HBO, lol.

I also bought the new 4K Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition and watched it for the first time in any form in absolutely *ages* and WOW what an experience that was. I don't know if it was because the movie was really improved with the director's tweaks, or if it just stands the test of time on its own or if it was due to seeing it so shortly after eye-rolling Mandalorian derpery but it was truly sublime.

I would dare say that it was even Kubrickian in its magnificence. I'm not familiar enough with the movie to notice what new visuals were added (which is a HUGE credit to how seamless the updated visuals obviously were) but I will say that everything looked spectacular. The picture quality, visuals, overall tone, I know that it has long been maligned as being slow and boring but I just loved every minute of it. So much so that I immediately went out and bought the new 4K discs of STII and VI and very much look forward to giving both a spin.

Bought 4K Dragonslayer and watched it. Damn the cinematography in that movie is gorgeous. And the visuals definitely looked better in a number of areas, whether due to being recomposited or tweaked more substantially I can't say. @JAWS I instantly noticed the DNR in the final battle, I'm guessing it was added as a sort of blend to the many overlapping opticals. I'm glad it was for just that one sequence.

I also bought the new 4K Star Trek The Motion Picture Director's Edition and watched it for the first time in any form in absolutely *ages* and WOW what an experience that was. I don't know if it was because the movie was really improved with the director's tweaks, or if it just stands the test of time on its own or if it was due to seeing it so shortly after eye-rolling Mandalorian derpery but it was truly sublime.

I would dare say that it was even Kubrickian in its magnificence. I'm not familiar enough with the movie to notice what new visuals were added (which is a HUGE credit to how seamless the updated visuals obviously were) but I will say that everything looked spectacular. The picture quality, visuals, overall tone, I know that it has long been maligned as being slow and boring but I just loved every minute of it. So much so that I immediately went out and bought the new 4K discs of STII and VI and very much look forward to giving both a spin.
Those original cast ST movies are super fun aren’t they.

Then there is ST Final Superman IV Rocky 5 Frontier lol

Yup, have developed a whole new appreciation of TMP in my geezerdom. True SF as opposed to the space opera that followed (which I still love but for different reasons).
Same here. I used to say that bad Star Wars is still better than good Star Trek but I don't think that anymore.

Gotta love the interplay between Trek's "big three" (and wider crew):

97334b9147e1978005a1a5acc5a7fddbfd73fd20.gif
876c34ac9cd5d0f41b15fed75fefca972350434d.gif
e3702e62728bcefd1aa6e9857e369b7611e9ec1f.gif
4c46587f460c5ce71aa494c53c9efe5931b7d07d.gif

b9c9fa187ec5ac0bcc7c4d5b230c208163e24dbb.gif
89aa71b2a6a77b0482b6fb80c88edc1267ada873.gif
e583b2a65291fbab2571c7003d47224259705514.gif
cf1fac3144239eff8a832316a6891699743aeffc.jpg

For decades TMP was unfairly judged. It's a true Science Fiction movie, more in line with the good Science Fiction episodes of Trek, then the action Sci Fi that people were beginning to expect thanks to Star Wars.

That ST TMP ever got made was a miracle, and reading about the behind-the-scenes drama is eye opening and entertaining. It really deserved the Director's Cut it eventually got. Which IMO is the only way to watch the movie now. IT really needs a in depth behind the scenes making of, or a dramatic TV series like The Godfather got.

I'm a big Trek fan so I'm biased. But I love all the TOS movies for various reasons, even STV for being as bad as it is, it has some truly great character moments that make it worth watching. The I need my pain" scene in particular really defines Kirk, and IMO us humans. STV is another one that that has troubled making of story that is interesting to read about.

There was a discussion here recently about the Superman 4K box set (and the audio issues) so I thought some might be interested in this podcast with three of the main guys who worked on the first Superman DVD special edition waaaay back in the day (and have worked on subsequent versions but this is mainly about the first one). Really interesting and some great stories. They are going to do another one for Superman 2.

Rocky Set down to $46 lol
So what's the verdict on the quality of this set? Are they fixing the reported issues?

I *finally* revisited Rocky V for the first time since it came out over 30 freaking years ago. I remember being so disappointed with it that I never bothered watching it again. And while it might still be the weakest of series when compared to the others holy crap it's a freaking masterpiece compared to so much of what passes for entertainment today. I'd give it a solid 7 or 7.5 out of 10. Not an embarrassment at all.

The flashback scene with Mickey is absolute gold. The rest of the movie is forgettable and unnecessary.

Watching order should be 1-4, just the Mickey scene, Rocky Balboa, Creed 1-3. Creed 3 is optional.

"Get up you son of a *****, cause Mickey loves ya!"

Paramount not Disney right? Loved everything else!

Disney were going through a dark period at the time (in more ways than one). I mean there were a ton of kids films but there were films like Watcher In The Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes as well. They were having big failures and just throwing darts on the wall to see what would work. The Black Cauldron is another.

Last edited:
Some 4K dates:

Battlestar Galactica 78 movie out 11th July (I saw this in the cinema, from memory it’s the first episode, which was feature length)
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm out 12th Sept
The Exorcist (which includes both versions) out 19th Sept
Kill Bill Vol 1 20th Anniversary (out later this year, no date yet, and will be followed next year by Kill Bill Vol 2 and Jackie Brown). Still no sign of The Whole Bloody Affair.

Back