The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is waiting for Black Friday to get the Sony A80j OLED it just had a significant drop this morning from $2,300 to $1,850 for the 65”!!!!!!

That is insane now is your chance because I don’t see it going any lower than that even on BF!

Thanks for the heads up jye! These will be at Best Buy?
Sony.com: $1,850 (1 yr warranty)
BB: $1,850 (1 yr warranty)
Costco: $1,800 (3 yr warranty)

At Costco known as A80cj lol

77” $3,000!

Hands-down the best TV ever created for consumer use in the history of TVs (for movie viewing not gaming, gaming goes to the LG C1 although that will change when Sony releases the new FW for their OLED).

Last edited:
If anyone is getting the 65” A80J from BB just remember fo have them match Amazon so that you get the $52.00 discount.

Hey that’s helps pay for an Indy box set that really should have been 2 movies not 4 lol

It’s crazy that Sony priced the 65” A90J 2K more than the 65” A80J.

Or just buy the 77” :horror

Movie theaters should just replace their projectors with Imax sized OLED lol

If anyone is getting the 65” A80J from BB just remember fo have them match Amazon so that you get the $52.00 discount.

Hey that’s helps pay for an Indy box set that really should have been 2 movies not 4 lol

It’s crazy that Sony priced the 65” A90J 2K more than the 65” A80J.

Or just buy the 77” :horror

Movie theaters should just replace their projectors with Imax sized OLED lol
I was a little worried about OLED burn in. Seems like they have tech that refreshes the screen to prevent that, but in store the Samsung QLED looked the best. OLED looked so dark in store, I wanted something that works in light and dark. In store clearly the light is blazing on the tvs, but to the eye the QLED looked best to me.

I was a little worried about OLED burn in. Seems like they have tech that refreshes the screen to prevent that, but in store the Samsung QLED looked the best. OLED looked so dark in store, I wanted something that works in light and dark. In store clearly the light is blazing on the tvs, but to the eye the QLED looked best to me.
They both certainly have their strengths and weaknesses.

But nothing can touch the OLED depth.

QLED = ANH/TOD/ROTK/IW/CW
OLED = ESB/Raiders/FOTR/EG/TWS

Last edited:
You need to flip IW and EG... :)

I guarantee you, 5 years from now, you will be watching IW more than EG.

IW = ESB for Best movies without an ending.
Good point about the ending….

Wor-Gar wins round 1.

But I added those 2 specific movies in that order specifically just to bait you…

Jye wins…..Fatality lol

Last edited:
If I didn't buy my Sony 75'' just two years ago, I would but this 65'' Sony A80j OLED!

My next TV has to be 95'' or larger...

I want Tile-Television so I can panel an entire wall.

If I didn't buy my Sony 75'' just two years ago, I would but this 65'' Sony A80j OLED!

My next TV has to be 95'' or larger...

I want Tile-Television so I can panel an entire wall.
Has to it really been 2 years already sheesh.

Time flys when you’re having corona.

The 83” A90J is $8,000 lol

That is the real king.

A90J > A80J > Any other TV

Last edited:
Finally got it set up…

402B3741-5AD5-47F5-9782-B60E571EB142.jpeg

18C39117-4C19-4F95-9076-A124A7AE1BFE.jpeg

12B401D7-DF42-422A-B298-E4D1F7D86EF2.jpeg

Do any of you worry about a time when the DVD/Blu-ray format might no longer be supported?

I absolutely love physical media, and it makes me anxious to think that one day everything might only exist online.

I have one room that has a wall of shelves with DVDs and Blu-rays from floor to ceiling. All those worlds contained on shiny discs, secured inside boxes with eye-catching artwork.

When everything's only online you're at the mercy of the provider's site being active, what the provider makes available, and what access to it you have.

I hope that DVDs merit the same kind of concern as lovers of vinyl records, whereby record players are still made to support the outdated format. At present most new PCs don't come with DVD/Blu-ray players, which is reminiscent of the time when CDs were replacing floppy discs.

In an attempt to emerge from my technological stone age I've been looking at alternatives. Tiny SD cards can have a nominal maximum capacity of 512GB, which sounds massive, but it's still only ten dual layer Blu-ray discs. It won't look that great on a shelf either. :lol

Also, is the SD card as archivally stable as a disc? :unsure:

I worry about that too, but mostly from the censorship angle. Every day people are finding new things to be offended about, so it's only a matter of time before something in ALL of my favorite movies offends someone and they need to censor it.

But it's silly to "worry" about something I have so little control over. Eventually, my DVD and bluray players won't work and there's nothing I can do about it. Better just enjoy them now while I can.

I worry about that too, but mostly from the censorship angle. Every day people are finding new things to be offended about, so it's only a matter of time before something in ALL of my favorite movies offends someone and they need to censor it.

But it's silly to "worry" about something I have so little control over. Eventually, my DVD and bluray players won't work and there's nothing I can do about it. Better just enjoy them now while I can.

Yes, it's easy to censor something more completely when access to the media itself is controlled, and never actually in your own hands. Much more relevant to new material at the moment that doesn't see physical release; and relevant for the time when physical media can't be played.

My old PC had been gradually playing up. First the DVD drive stopped working, then came back from the dead but not fully operational. Then the PC would freeze at odd times, and need rebooting. Sometimes the power button was even inoperable during these lockups. One of the last times it did it the LED ring around the power button was red (instead of white) - never seen that before! It would reboot fine as if nothing was wrong. It wasn't reliable, so Tuesday evening I searched for a replacement, and remarkably it arrived the next morning.

It's a brand new PC running Windows 11, after installing the update yesterday. Yet it's quite old school. It still has a DVD drive, and the keyboard and mouse are USB wired, as opposed to the wireless ones that came with my old PC, and went through batteries fast. It's as though there are still diehards out there, catering to like minded people like myself.

So, in the house there's two Blu-ray players, two DVD players, plus the cheap portable DVD player I bought when the PC one failed. That's a least a little future proofing for some of the disc collection. :lol

Lots of things seem to be becoming ephemeral, or non-physical. There's things you don't possess, but access remotely as with movies online, or documents and files in clouds. Sometimes rather than walk fifty feet to look at one of my figures to check something I'll search for a photo of it likely stored thousands of miles away in my Flickr account instead.

I still wonder, whether the love for Blu-rays and DVDs could be as wide, or even wider than, vinyl.

Great post. I’m too busy watching The Matrix, Akira, True Romance, The Thing, Donnie Darko and Parasite in 4K to worry about such things.

As first reported by Digital Spy, Maguire's Spider-Man trilogy and Garfield's two The Amazing Spider-Man movies will receive separate boxsets with the five films remastered in 4K Ultra HD. As you can see below, both will feature some very cool artwork of their respective logos. These go on sale November 8, just in time for Spider-Man: No Way Home's release on December 17.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spid...-for-spider-man-no-way-home-a189172#gs.eu61wb
Bit dubious about the remastered bit. I’ve got 1-3 on 4K and they are gorgeous. Not sure what could be improved. Might be just a PR thing.

Back