The best Lord Of The Rings book box set?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there is a UK and a US version, I'm probably going for the Uk version because of the nice sleeve and red colors :)

Lotrdeluxe2004-coverang.jpg

UK
103404095.jpg

US

I found a store that has the Silmarillion in stock for just 60! Then when I ordered I looked at my order details, it says ETA June 17 2012...... O______O

Apparently the reprint date for the silmarillion is somewhere in May so, yeah....

Been talking with a Belgium seller all evening, and according to him there will NOT be any more reprints of these books. He says there will most likely be new deluxe editions very soon.
He also says he still has at least 10 full sets wrapped in paper of the first 500 prints. At the moment I'm negotiating price with him, the lowest he wants to go is 350 euro's, but even then he says he will not make any profit of of it. So he's a great guy if hes willing to sell me these books without him having any profit at all. Of course that's what he SAYS.....

Leaving aside the very expensive truly limited editions, and the original 1st/1st publications, these are the ones I own and love most of all.

Best single volume:
Deluxe Slip-cased Edition - Allen & Unwin, 1969, ISBN 004823091X
Deluxe Slip-cased Edition (quarter-bound leather) - Harper Collins, 1997, ISBN 0261103687
Expect to pay 500 pounds or more for a 1st edition Deluxe Allen & Unwin, around 300 for a Harper Collins (less for later printings). But they are both truly lovely books - much better quality than the Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, 2004, ISBN 0007182368. In fact that whole run of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion & The Children of Hurin (previously mentioned in this thread) lack much of the quality of earlier deluxe editions.

Best three volume edition:
Hardback Illustrated Centenary Boxset - Harper Collins, 1992, ISBN 0261102958
Much easier to handle and read than the unwieldy single volume (or the equally large 3 volume movie tie-in 2008 release) but almost impossible to find as a boxed set of three, though it is sometimes possible to find individual hardback volumes of this edition. I think I paid around 300 pounds for mine, but I have seen them as high as 600 pounds. A lovely and very collectible set. The deluxe version (just 250 copies, ISBN 0261102990) usually goes for around 1000 pounds.

Best seven volume edition:
Hardback Millennium Edition Boxset (+ CD) - Harper Collins, 1999, ISBN 0261103873
The easiest to read (nice & small) and in six volumes as Tolkien intended (seventh is Appendices). Becoming increasingly hard to find in hardback, but still available for around 100 pounds (a lot less for the paperback version). These are the ones I reach for most of all when I fancy a read.

Sean.

ISBN numbers from https://www.tolkienbooks.net/ not always reliable.

Do you have pictures of these books? Amazon doesn't seem to have them and I'm really curious to see what they look like.

Posting that custom edition was kind of irrelevant to the OP's question, but if I had it I would probably take any advantage I could to brag about it as well. :D

In a way yes, but at the same time, I got my 'Red book' rather then getting any super fancy, limited edition, 50th anniversity, etc, etc type copies.

I did look into it all at the time, as I wanted a very good and special version of the books. Once I got past the basic general ones (be it paperback, hardback, etc) then what was left was the really nice, likely leather bound, limited editions and around $200+

So at that point I decided to go with something extra special and rather unique and just keep my old paperback editions as the 'full' text version.

I bought the one from above from amazon a little while ago and its gorgeous.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-50th-Anniversary-Edition/dp/B0062CU3ES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334799827&sr=8-2[/ame]

Do you have pictures of these books? Amazon doesn't seem to have them and I'm really curious to see what they look like.

I'll try and post some pics.

The OP seems most interested in the Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Edition. Though I only collect UK editions (Allen & Unwin and Harper Collins) in terms of quality, this is one case where the cheaper American Edition (Houghton Mifflin) is actually much better value than the British one. The Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Edition is already in its 3rd printing and wasn't worth the 100 pounds MRRP even in its first run of 3,000 copies. It is also worth noting that the 400+ Euro boxed set the OP is also considering will not contain a 1st printing of The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary Edition; most likely a 2nd or 3rd impression.

As with all Tolkien books the question is whether you want something to keep & collect or something just to read...

Pics:

1. 1969 1st Edition/1st impression 1-volume slipcased Deluxe Edition - numerous further printings and impressions until 1992.
2. 1997 1st Edition/1st impression 1-volume slipcased Deluxe Edition, quarter-leather version - further four impressions until 2002.
3. 1992 3-volume Centenary illustrated hardback boxset - not reprinted.
4. 1992 3-volume Deluxe Centenary illustrated hardback boxset - not reprinted.
5. 1999 7-volume Millennium Edition hardback boxset - not reprinted.

Sean.

Last edited:
Finally...

A full set of the best deluxe Harper Collins (quarter-leather) editions: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and The History of Middle-Earth. Expect to pay around 2000 pounds in total for these six - if you can find them.

The relative thinness of The Lord of the Rings in this pic is because of the special Indian paper used in its construction; almost the same size, and weight, as The Hobbit. A lovely book - readable and very collectable (the earlier Allen & Unwin versions are even smaller) and make the more recent single volume editions look like doorstops in comparison.

Sean.

Last edited:
just get this, one of the best and wont break your wallet too much.

41yl2AgXxbL.jpg
I have this one. It's ok. The print seems to get lighter and darker at various spots in the book. At least in my copy. It's kinda annoying. Also there is no illustrations which is disappointing. I don't like reading it very much cuz it is so big and ackward. I just prefer to read some cheap paperbacks. However, i own a green colored version of The Hobbit done in this leather style and it is truly amazing. It has Tolkiens illustrations in it and everything.

I'll try and post some pics.

The OP seems most interested in the Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Edition. Though I only collect UK editions (Allen & Unwin and Harper Collins) in terms of quality, this is one case where the cheaper American Edition (Houghton Mifflin) is actually much better value than the British one. The Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Edition is already in its 3rd printing and wasn't worth the 100 pounds MRRP even in its first run of 3,000 copies. It is also worth noting that the 400+ Euro boxed set the OP is also considering will not contain a 1st printing of The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary Edition; most likely a 2nd or 3rd impression.

As with all Tolkien books the question is whether you want something to keep & collect or something just to read...

Pics:

1. 1969 1st Edition/1st impression 1-volume slipcased Deluxe Edition - numerous further printings and impressions until 1992.
2. 1997 1st Edition/1st impression 1-volume slipcased Deluxe Edition, quarter-leather version - further four impressions until 2002.
3. 1992 3-volume Centenary illustrated hardback boxset - not reprinted.
4. 1992 3-volume Deluxe Centenary illustrated hardback boxset - not reprinted.
5. 1999 7-volume Millennium Edition hardback boxset - not reprinted.

Sean.

Dude the "1969 1st Edition/1st impression 1-volume slipcased Deluxe Edition - numerous further printings and impressions until 1992." is worth A LOT of money, amazing that you have that one. Really the only reason I'm considering NOT buying the US 50th anniversary edition is because it just comes as the Lord of the Rings. The Harper Collins ones all come in the same size and same design, making them more of a collection then the Houghton Mifflin one. But because of your comment I'm beginning to doubt if its worth the extra money :p. Your description of the Houghton Mifflin one may or may not convinced me to buy the that one instead.

EDIT: Can anyone find me an in depth review of the Houghton Mifflin 50th anniversary Lotr edition? Or a video review? The thing is, I'm looking to buy the Hobbit, the silmarillion and the children of hurin as well. But the Houghton Mifflin doesn't come with a matching set. First world problems people!

There is a very nice quarter-leather deluxe Harper Collins The Lord of The Rings on eBay UK right now for just 75 pounds (or bidding starts at 50 pounds) which is a bargain even if it is a 2002 version (Item number: 140740900534).

This matches a deluxe The Silmarillion currently going for 100 pounds (Item number: 370605413989). I can't see any matching deluxe copies of The Hobbit at the moment, but this is usually the easiest to track down.

You could have those 3 for a similar price to the set you were already looking at (350 - 400 Euro) if you don't mind not being able to have The Children of Hurin. Will hold their value going forward far better, too.

Sean.

PS I think I paid about 500 pounds for my 1969 1st/1st Allen & Unwin The Lord of the Rings and about 200 for the matching 1976 1st/1st The Hobbit. I can happily live without the movies (and the statues) but not the books.

Found a good comparison review of the UK and US versions on amazon.

"(Please note: I wrote this review in 2005 about the 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Hardcover) - the UK and US versions thereof. My apologies, however, if this appears as a review for any other edition, paperback, audiobook, etc.. At the time of writing - 2012 - Amazon appear to be lumping all the LOTR reviews together, regardless of edition, leading to unintentional inaccuracies across the board.)

Tolkien's US publisher, Houghton Mifflin, has produced a slightly larger book in leather, with a faint marbled appearance and a brushed feel. The paper on the US edition is good quality too, with an appealing translucency that sits well with the gilded edges (although when the book is closed, the gold looks a little cheap compared with the pale finish on the available HarperCollins India paper edition). The boards, however, both for the slipcase and book seem a little thin, and once the gilded pages have had a cursory ruffle, it's a surprise to find the book needs squeezing back in the slipcase, which then bows out in response. Should you wish to remove the book, a good shake is required to free it.

Where the US edition shines, however, is in the inclusion of the two large-scale fold out maps, laid in at either end of the book. These are exceptional, but sadly omitted in the UK deluxe edition of this release.

What, the UK edition doesn't have fold out maps? At twice the price? Well, it does, but they are not the large-scale affairs that graced the original releases and which are represented in the US edition in question; the ones HarperCollins have laid in throughout the text of their deluxe edition fold out horizontally only, which is to say they are scaled down. I presume that this design choice is made to tie in with the format of the fold out Thror's Map in the matching deluxe Hobbit, but still, it seems a wasted opportunity.

Indeed, compared with the US edition, it is easy to see what this edition does not have: i.e., leather, big maps, two tone print, and gilding, but a cursory glance at the design and build of HarperCollins' deluxe edition quickly reveals its superior quality. For a start, the boards used for both book and slipcase are thicker and sturdier, and the uncovered slipcase innards are constructed from a closely matched, light grey board. Similar care has been taken in the UK edition's old fashioned presentation: the case has a gently curved front for effortless book removal, and a circular window reveals part of the book's front design, completing it with its own embossed motif. The selection of fine quality coverings cannot be faulted either: the mottled grey paper perfectly complements the textured maroon quarter-binding and matching slipcase (in turn, the grey backing is also used on the deluxe Hobbit, going equally well with green).

Crucially, however, the execution of the design is spot on, something sorely lacking in the US edition: the folds of the covering within the slipcase are deep and symmetrical, which is even more impressive considering the curved front, and the embossing is firmly pressed in, lending depth and texture. Basically, everything you expect from the manufacture of such an expensive book is delivered in the UK edition: from the engineering of the slipcase window, to the squareness of every available edge, care with the details shines through."

I really don't know anymore! XD

It really just depends on how much you are willing to spend and whether or not you are happy with an American printing of a British author.

The US version is better value for money (you can get a decent used one for next to nothing) but it is not a better book. Or rather, the UK version is not worth the 100 pounds MRRP.

BTW, the review above is not accurate.
The 2004 Harper Collins edition is not printed on Indian paper.

Last edited:
There's a cheap new Silmarillion book here :lol [ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0007264895/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1334856471&sr=8-5&condition=new[/ame] I'd never pay that much for a book.

EDIT: When should the The Silmarillion be read ? Before The Hobbit ? After LOTR ? I'm not very familiar with this one.

Last edited:
Back