The best Lord Of The Rings book box set?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? It's in stock at Amazon.

Huh...it seems your right, last time I checked I couldn't find it. Well that still leaves out the silmirillion, I'm trying to find all these books so I can get them as a set, if I can't find that exact version of the silmirillion I'll just wait until the set is back in stock.

EDIT: the collection is actually on Amazon, but as anywhere else it's out of stock. [ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-J-Tolkien-Collection-Silmarillion/dp/0007273568/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334665290&sr=1-9[/ame]

The following are currently in my possession. I have more but can't find the pictures. I would highly recommend the History of the Hobbit and LOTR books with Alan Lee's illustrations.

51J7Pdp3YSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51GVPRRHQDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51wXyQH-A5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

515%2BylclFEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

5145EE1KTTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41cDpLUpsLL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51UUe7waLzL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

51SboR-%2BggL.jpg

51NZMXH24FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

daec225b9da0b5864f604110.L.jpg

I have/had many versions of LOTR but I agree with what some others have already said about the hard cover 50th anniversary edition - it is definitely my favorite. But the copy that get's all the wear and tear of everyday reading is the soft cover 50th anniversary edition.

Last edited:
Yeah there's a US and UK version, both have pros and cons, I'm going with the UK ones though because all of their versions are same height and have same design. That way they'll look nice in my bookcase :)
Still waiting for an answer from tolkien.co.uk for when they get back in stock, these things make me edgy..

EDIT: man...it seems like that entire website is dead, customer service line is not working, phone says the number doesn't exist, they're not responding to my emails, and they're having stuff on the front page like new books as NEW, yet the publish date on some of those books is YEARS ago. But it's an official site so I have no idea what's going on there.

Last edited:
Well, to be fair that one is what fairly rare that someone did for members of the S&F. While its amazing looking its not exactly something we can order at amazon. :lol

Collaboration with a few members of Lord of the Rings Guide originally and made by Indy Magnoli. :lecture :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/aQVsyidQB6U"]https://youtu.be/aQVsyidQB6U[/ame]

Collaboration with a few members of Lord of the Rings Guide originally and made by Indy Magnoli. :lecture :)

https://youtu.be/aQVsyidQB6U

How wonderful it would be if this went to print and we could all have the opportunity to have one in our LOTR collection...I for one would love one. :pray:

Anyone know Indy Magnoli? :dunno

If yes, could you ask him to make some more.

Could be a nice little earner for him. :wink1:

:duff
Bill

Leaving aside the very expensive truly limited editions, and the original 1st/1st publications, these are the ones I own and love most of all.

Best single volume:
Deluxe Slip-cased Edition - Allen & Unwin, 1969, ISBN 004823091X
Deluxe Slip-cased Edition (quarter-bound leather) - Harper Collins, 1997, ISBN 0261103687
Expect to pay 500 pounds or more for a 1st edition Deluxe Allen & Unwin, around 300 for a Harper Collins (less for later printings). But they are both truly lovely books - much better quality than the Harper Collins 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, 2004, ISBN 0007182368. In fact that whole run of The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion & The Children of Hurin (previously mentioned in this thread) lack much of the quality of earlier deluxe editions.

Best three volume edition:
Hardback Illustrated Centenary Boxset - Harper Collins, 1992, ISBN 0261102958
Much easier to handle and read than the unwieldy single volume (or the equally large 3 volume movie tie-in 2008 release) but almost impossible to find as a boxed set of three, though it is sometimes possible to find individual hardback volumes of this edition. I think I paid around 300 pounds for mine, but I have seen them as high as 600 pounds. A lovely and very collectible set. The deluxe version (just 250 copies, ISBN 0261102990) usually goes for around 1000 pounds.

Best seven volume edition:
Hardback Millennium Edition Boxset (+ CD) - Harper Collins, 1999, ISBN 0261103873
The easiest to read (nice & small) and in six volumes as Tolkien intended (seventh is Appendices). Becoming increasingly hard to find in hardback, but still available for around 100 pounds (a lot less for the paperback version). These are the ones I reach for most of all when I fancy a read.

Sean.

ISBN numbers from https://www.tolkienbooks.net/ not always reliable.

Last edited:
How wonderful it would be if this went to print and we could all have the opportunity to have one in our LOTR collection...I for one would love one. :pray:

Anyone know Indy Magnoli? :dunno

If yes, could you ask him to make some more.

Could be a nice little earner for him. :wink1:

Bill

Actually, all you have to do is e-mail him and put in an order....he makes them to order. IF he's still making them. Be prepared - he will ask for $$ upfront.

Actually, all you have to do is e-mail him and put in an order....he makes them to order. IF he's still making them. Be prepared - he will ask for $$ upfront.

Thanks Wetanut :wave...do you have his email address or do I need to PM him here or over at the S&F?

Bill

Edit: Indy Magnoli is not coming up as a member here or at the S&F...any ideas anyone?

Posting that custom edition was kind of irrelevant to the OP's question, but if I had it I would probably take any advantage I could to brag about it as well. :D

Posting that custom edition was kind of irrelevant to the OP's question, but if I had it I would probably take any advantage I could to brag about it as well. :D

:goodpost:

8aad2dbf_Derailment.jpeg

However, :wave I would say the Easton Press versions are my favorite. I just love the smell of a leather book. But they are costly.

Yeah, there are maps within the book.

Thanks Josh!

I have a 1965 Houghton Mifflin edition with the slipcase. They come with maps and I'm just wondering if the maps are the same. I'll have to check out the 50th edition.

Yeah, the 50th anniversary edition is really nice. Leatherish type material, slip case, gold leaf on the edges of each page, maps at the start of the book, and even the end of the book. Heck it's so nice IMO I have two of it. One I got for Christmas one year and another I bought and have kept sealed in its wrapper.

Back