The Batman - Part II (October 3rd, 2025)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
batman-movies.gif

Batman: "Don't be hating."​

Yeah, I guess when I went to see the movie called BATMAN I expected it to be about BATMAN, not Jack Nicholson.

Many "Batman" stories don't focus on Batman - it's almost just as much a shorthand for the setting ("The World of Batman"). For instance, the celebrated"Batman: Year One" is more of a James Gordon story than a story about the character of Batman. Nevertheless, it seems like you're judging a movie by its title, and upset that it doesn't give you what you thought the title implied it would give you, rather than judging the contents of the movie itself, on their own merit.

Is "Dr. No" a flawed movie because instead of being about Dr. No, it's about some goofy guy named James Bond?

And in the few scenes where BATMAN actually appears, I was hoping the character might slightly resemble the character from the 50 years worth of comic books that were being celebrated at the time.

Which character is that? There isn't one "Batman" character in the comics, there are hundreds of different Batman, written by hundreds of different writers - with some features common to most (if not all), and plenty of difference between them in characterization. Burton's "Batman" is just yet another characterization, and it's bizarre to me that you'd think the translation to live action film wouldn't feature any kind of unique characterization (even if somehow you could pin down one specific characterization as being the definitive comic characterization that you would want to be emulated).

But he's got the ears, the suit, the logo, the gadgets, the car, the science-based detective skills, the martial arts, the use of fear and intimidation, the origin story, the affect of the uninterested playboy millionaire, the sarcastic butler he ignores, the mansion outside the city, the limited vocalization when suited up....

...I'd say he at least "slightly resembles" many a Batman featured in 50 years of comic books.

For most of us who had been huge fans of the character for years, or even decades, the portrayal in the Burton films was disappointing.

That is certainly not my memory of how they were received.

To my memory, most of the fans were blown away and more than happy with the dark characterization of Batman, as both being authentic to the comics (both the originals and the recently-released gritty stuff from Miller, et al) and being a relief from the fear that more Adam West-style antics would be perpetrated.

The Burton films were generally considered the gold standard of comic book movies until the X-Men films came along, and I only ever saw negative opinions about them sometime after the release of "Batman Begins."

Just cause I don't think Batman and Batman Returns were well-executed doesn't mean I somehow "don't understand" them as you're implying. I think the movies are flawed. You don't. I guess we disagree.

Weird that you quote "don't understand," as if I had said that, when in fact I can find no such statement in my post.

What you did was list some facts about the movies and conclude the movies are flawed, but you failed to explain why those facts arbitrarily lead to the conclusion that the movies are flawed. I asked you to explain - you've declined to do so. If there is one person who "doesn't understand," it's me, in not understanding your logic, hence my querying.

It is as if I were to look at a Ferarri, say "This is not a Dodge Ram," and conclude on that basis that the Ferarri is flawed. The fact I stated is true - but it's nonsensical to imply that that must be a flaw in and of itself, or to judge the car based on a set of criteria that the car had no intention of attempting to fulfill in the first place (i.e., being a pickup truck).

Many "Batman" stories don't focus on Batman - it's almost just as much a shorthand for the setting ("The World of Batman"). For instance, the celebrated"Batman: Year One" is more of a James Gordon story than a story about the character of Batman. Nevertheless, it seems like you're judging a movie by its title, and upset that it doesn't give you what you thought the title implied it would give you, rather than judging the contents of the movie itself, on their own merit.

Is "Dr. No" a flawed movie because instead of being about Dr. No, it's about some goofy guy named James Bond?

Which character is that? There isn't one "Batman" character in the comics, there are hundreds of different Batman, written by hundreds of different writers - with some features common to most (if not all), and plenty of difference between them in characterization. Burton's "Batman" is just yet another characterization, and it's bizarre to me that you'd think the translation to live action film wouldn't feature any kind of unique characterization (even if somehow you could pin down one specific characterization as being the definitive comic characterization that you would want to be emulated).

But he's got the ears, the suit, the logo, the gadgets, the car, the science-based detective skills, the martial arts, the use of fear and intimidation, the origin story, the affect of the uninterested playboy millionaire, the sarcastic butler he ignores, the mansion outside the city, the limited vocalization when suited up....

...I'd say he at least "slightly resembles" many a Batman featured in 50 years of comic books.

That is certainly not my memory of how they were received.

To my memory, most of the fans were blown away and more than happy with the dark characterization of Batman, as both being authentic to the comics (both the originals and the recently-released gritty stuff from Miller, et al) and being a relief from the fear that more Adam West-style antics would be perpetrated.

The Burton films were generally considered the gold standard of comic book movies until the X-Men films came along, and I only ever saw negative opinions about them sometime after the release of "Batman Begins."

Weird that you quote "don't understand," as if I had said that, when in fact I can find no such statement in my post.

What you did was list some facts about the movies and conclude the movies are flawed, but you failed to explain why those facts arbitrarily lead to the conclusion that the movies are flawed. I asked you to explain - you've declined to do so. If there is one person who "doesn't understand," it's me, in not understanding your logic, hence my querying.

It is as if I were to look at a Ferarri, say "This is not a Dodge Ram," and conclude on that basis that the Ferarri is flawed. The fact I stated is true - but it's nonsensical to imply that that must be a flaw in and of itself, or to judge the car based on a set of criteria that the car had no intention of attempting to fulfill in the first place (i.e., being a pickup truck).

Oh shut up.

I wish I was younger for The Batman.... I'd be curious to know what my "young self" would think of the movie.
I think my 'young self' would love the hell out of it. Same reason my older self does -- so much atmosphere.
I love Zoe sashaying like a bad girl.
I mean ... that makes me glad to just be alive.

I'd love to see Clayface in The Batman 2. The Nolan universe already provided a real world Batman and it would be good for Reeves to look at more of the more out there characters. It would also be good to see Poison Ivy, Man-Bat, Gentleman Ghost and Bloom.

Last edited:
I'd love them to do a retelling of the Knightfall story in this world. Imagine it from Batman's point of view, suddenly all these villains have been broken out of arkham, we see him working hard over the course of 48 hours, using all his detective and physical skills to track them down as quickly as possible. After all this he's exhausted, his body and mind pushed to the limit, until Bane steps out of the shadows after watching and studying his every move. Bane kills Alfred then after an epic fight in the batcave, breaks Batman's back. End of film, then go in another direction with someone else taking up the mantle in the next film...

I think Reeves' will keep things "grounded".
“Here’s the thing,” Reeves answered, “In my view, I just feel drawn to finding the grounded version of everything. So to me, it would be a challenge in an interesting way to try and figure out how that could happen. Like, you know, even the idea of something like Mr. Freeze, that’s such a great story, right? And I think there’s actually a grounded version of that story which could be really powerful, and could be really great.

“So I love the fantastical side Batman, but this iteration... to me, I think it is very comics-faithful, but I don’t think that this one is necessarily— it doesn’t lean as hard into the fantastical, I guess. But I think, to me, what would be interesting would be to try and unwind the fantastical and see, how could that make sense here?”

Besides Gunn's DCU will have it's own Batman and that will definitely be comic book fantasy.

Only upgrade I want it to take is the same inspiration of the first suit based on lee bermajo art. View attachment 640329View attachment 640330
That’s pretty much exactly what I’m advocating for; sharper ears, sculpted cowl frown, gauntlet blades and a larger bat emblem.
The iconic gold/yellow utility belt would be a lovely touch as well.

This would be the perfect maturation of what Pattinson is currently wearing.

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m advocating for; sharper ears, sculpted cowl frown, gauntlet blades and a larger bat emblem.
The iconic gold/yellow utility belt would be a lovely touch as well.

This would be the perfect maturation of what Pattinson is currently wearing.
Definitely and it's still very similar to his original suit design but adds new things to it making it an upgrade and also advancing his tech a bit without it being extremely advanced. Maybe by the time we get to part 3 the suit is more high tech.

I like the low tech/high tech marriage. Stuff that's handy or believably made by a recluse. His techy eyeworks seem believably hi-tech yet he still has zip ties and basic weapons. Makes him feel more grounded considering he's wearing a bat costume.

The villains should be in keeping with that level of grounded reality. Somewhat exotic but not "shape-shifting" clay-men.

I'd love them to do a retelling of the Knightfall story in this world. Imagine it from Batman's point of view, suddenly all these villains have been broken out of arkham, we see him working hard over the course of 48 hours, using all his detective and physical skills to track them down as quickly as possible. After all this he's exhausted, his body and mind pushed to the limit, until Bane steps out of the shadows after watching and studying his every move. Bane kills Alfred then after an epic fight in the batcave, breaks Batman's back. End of film, then go in another direction with someone else taking up the mantle in the next film...
I read Knightfall when it first came out. The writing, art and portrayal of Batman is amazing.

The opening prison break is so well done, Batman having to go after all the escapees.

I remember one line when one of Bane's men is squeezing him:

'A wet snap at my side. Has to be a rib.'
cbb0e17d458697efab8fc9ca14099ca7--comics-online-bats.jpg

Back