The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom-cruise-top-gun.gif

A HUGE mistake, The Batman is the best Batman movie since The Dark Knight, possibly the second best overall, is widely adored, and raked in over 770million. It was left wide open to go beyond one film. It’s films like The Batman and Joker that keep DC interesting imo, the rest just feels like it’s trying a bit too hard to be like Marvel.
Id still put begins 89 returns and bvs above the batman. My problem with the movie was the plot ******* sucked. But everything else was perfect.. the tone the look the character everything except for the actual story. They have spent 4 years developing that weak script. Get better writers and the sequel could be the best batman film.

Id still put begins 89 returns and bvs above the batman. My problem with the movie was the plot ******* sucked. But everything else was perfect.. the tone the look the character everything except for the actual story. They have spent 4 years developing that weak script. Get better writers and the sequel could be the best batman film.
That's kind of how I felt the first time of watching, I didn't dislike it but I felt it was a bit overhyped and didn't live up to expectations. The second time of watching I did a complete 180 on it, I fell in love with it. I've never had that experience with a film to that extent before. The opposite has happened plenty of times, liking a film the first time of watching and slow growing to dislike it on subsequent re-watches (eg The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker). I've watched The Batman three times now and it got better with every watch. I'm no Batman expert but I loved that 90s serial killer movie tone to it. Imo it has more in common in tone with films like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs than it does other Batman films. Which probably explains why I liked it so much, with Silence of the Lambs being my favourite film of all-time.

That's kind of how I felt the first time of watching, I didn't dislike it but I felt it was a bit overhyped and didn't live up to expectations. The second time of watching I did a complete 180 on it, I fell in love with it. I've never had that experience with a film to that extent before. The opposite has happened plenty of times, liking a film the first time of watching and slow growing to dislike it on subsequent re-watches (eg The Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker). I've watched The Batman three times now and it got better with every watch. I'm no Batman expert but I loved that 90s serial killer movie tone to it. Imo it has more in common in tone with films like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs than it does other Batman films. Which probably explains why I liked it so much, with Silence of the Lambs being my favourite film of all-time.
I might watch it today would be my third time

I partially agree with this except I’d say I’d put all of TDK films above The Batman and nothing else. Everything other than those four is just way too superficial and didn’t really attempt to create rich characters or a proper tone.

I like the look and tone of The Batman, and they didn’t do anything bad with the characters, they also didn’t do anything to really make me love the characters. The plot really is a huge drag though and at no point does Batman have the upper hand or outsmart the villain which is really underwhelming and non-batmany in my opinion.

:ROFLMAO:

I'm forgetting, when did Batman outsmart the Joker in TDK?
When he found him, alerted the police to his location, saved all the hostages dressed as clowns, stopped all the henchmen dressed as doctors, and several swat teams and then directly stopped Joker from blowing up the ferries.

It was a blink and you’d miss it throw away moment honestly. Even well intentioned totally not intellectually dishonest people could have missed it.

When he found him, alerted the police to his location, saved all the hostages dressed as clowns, stopped all the henchmen dressed as doctors, and several swat teams and then directly stopped Joker from blowing up the ferries.

It was a blink and you’d miss it throw away moment honestly. Even well intentioned totally not intellectually dishonest people could have missed it.

But that's the end of the movie, most heroes win at the end, even if a small victory -- just like The Batman did.

Plus, blink and all, TDK Joker didn't lose... he still had Harvey which put Batman on the run and into hiding.

To address your earlier point: I think The Batman was as "unsuccessful" in The Batman as Batman was in TDK.

Cognitive dissonance is a powerful tool, to the uninitiated.

The Batman’s Batman only even gets to the climax because a side character gives him the hint he needs to unravel the Riddler’s plot after it’s basically too late. He literally never is ahead of the curve at all. He gets there barely in time to save some people but he doesn’t really stop or solve anything in the whole film.

Joker’s entire point as a character is that he’s Batman’s intellectual equal. Riddler often gets embarrassed and frustrated by not being able to foil Batman. It’s a completely unlike comparison based on the source material.

None of this negates the fact that Batman does outsmart the Joker in the film. You’re choosing to ignore it because it doesn’t fit your predisposition.

Joker “Wins” in the film but not by defeating Batman. He wins by corrupting Dent as a backup plan. That doesn’t mean Joker wanted to fail with the ferries, Batman still unequivocally stopped Joker’s plan with the ferries and it wouldn’t have been stopped without Batman’s actions. No amount of mental gymnastics can remove that fact from the film just because you didn’t like it for subjective reasons.

Last edited:
I think it was actually part of the script that the war was between unstoppable force and an immovable object, the implication being they were destined to do it forever. There may be victories on each side, but those were just battles. The war will always keep going.

The joker causes chaos, it doesn’t matter what happens after that. Chaos is his main purpose. As long as he’s doing it, he’s winning.

I don’t think we should assume that batman won in tdk just because the joker went to jail. He went there once before and did pretty well for himself.

Shame ledger left us so early.

Back