The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tumblr_c4a9ae365f35854b3201.gif

I just rewatched this too. Still as good as ever, but everytime I rewatch this, that final act (with the flood and Riddler clones) gets worse and worse. I really wish it ended with him and the Riddler at Arkham.
Luckily it ends with an amazing speech

Finally picked up a 4K UHD copy and have to agree about the picture - WTF??? They have lightened it too much; the blacks are very milky now. Obviously you still want shadow detail in dark images, but this is washed-out gray. I have a reference level screen, so it's really on the nose. Very weird decision and I bet Greig Frasier would not be happy. Saying that, it's a (relatively) easy fix, just turn down the brightness a couple of notches. Not perfect, but better than how it's now presented.

The Dolby Atmos is absolutely reference level (although Dune is still the best) and the digital compression is virtually non-existent.

The other thing that's GREAT is the "Making of" video. At 53 minutes it feels too short :)

Unlike the recent SW "Making of's" that are full of mind-numbing back scratching, where everyone loves everyone and it's all so amazing - this is more for those that want to learn about filmmaking at that scale/budget. Interesting stuff. Having recently watched the Ron Howard and James Cameron Masterclasses, I actually picked up more interesting little things from this video than those!

Sadly, I won't be buying this 4K until they fix the overlit issue.
It's one of the best looking movies I own and Bill Hunt from www.thedigitalbits.com calls it reference quality.

"The Batman was captured digitally in a variety of formats (at 4.5 and 6K) by cinematographer Greig Fraser (Dune, Rogue One, Zero Dark Thirty) using Arri Alexa LF, Mini LF, and Sony CineAlta Venice cameras with a host of Arri, Cook, and Canon anamorphic lenses. The film was finished as a native 4K Digital Intermediate at the 2.39:1 aspect ratio. For its release on Ultra HD, that source has been graded for high dynamic range (both Dolby Vision and HDR10 options are included). The result is a highly cinematic yet moody image, definitely one that lives and breathes in the darkness. So it’s truly surprising how much detail is visible in the 4K presentation—a genuine credit to Frasier’s photography. The HDR adds pleasing subtleties to the color palette, and strongly benefits both shadows and brightly-bold highlights alike, resulting in a remarkably deep and dimensional looking image. And those with Dolby Vision capable displays will be glad to have them. Simply put, this is a gorgeous and beautifully-textured presentation, delivered in reference-quality 4K."

ROTK could have had several epic fade to black moments except it just kept going and going before finally ending on Sam's door which was the least epic of all the ending moments. :lol

But man not only did TB have one of the greatest final shots of all time but he also had one of the greatest entrances of all time too. It was basically Darth Vader walking out of the dark in RO but with footsteps replacing the breathing. :thud:

And even the the batmobile reveal appeared to be a bit of a riff off the Tumbler intro with it revving it's engine next to the side of the building holy crap that freaking fighter jet engine sound absolutely blows away the Tumbler engine!
I’m not entirely convinced that ROTK is actually over. Are you SURE it ended?

Yeah, I much prefer the look of the disc version in dolby vision to the streaming version. It was too dark in dolby vision(as many things are through streaming services) but the disc seems just right.

It’s amazing just how dumb WB truly are they deserve their status.

The critically acclaimed The Batman from THIS YEAR is nowhere to be found on their HBO Max service you have to actually type the movie name to go find it even the DC portal is from Zack Snyder.

It’s like they’re embarrassed of their own movie just go to Disney+ the crappy MCU shows are ALL front and center to be viewed yet their crowning achievement The Batman, which is critically rated higher than most MCU movies not just DS2 its direct 2022 competitor, is already hidden. :slap

Dumb Asses lol

Last edited:
Back