The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ben Affleck Batman film

I'm all for Affleck directing (but what if he is pretending to direct a Batman film to get hostages out of Iran?)

LtQzWZa.jpg

rBmkUPg.gif

I wasn't sold on Affleck as Batman at all until I saw that latest BvS trailer from Comic-Con. I think he's really going to surprise everyone with his tenure as the World's Greatest Detective.

:exactly:
This.

I'm sick of all these plot macguffins where the whole city (or world) is in danger. You can tell a story for a comic book film without some huge, "epic", high stakes BS, especially with a character like Batman.

:goodpost:

Yup. And you could even go smaller than the Dark Knight and still have a compelling film. Batman can fit into pretty much any genre. I can just imagine a detective, thriller story.

So I guess it's up in the air where this fits in the DC saga calendar, right?

This.

I'm sick of all these plot macguffins where the whole city (or world) is in danger. You can tell a story for a comic book film without some huge, "epic", high stakes BS, especially with a character like Batman.

I know what you mean but I think that's what it takes for it to work on the big screen. Anything short of epic high stakes equals "just another day in the life of Batman/Justice League/Avengers/etc". That's fine for the random monthly comic or even a random episode if it were a show like Daredevil, but it's gotta be big for the big screen.

Yup. And you could even go smaller than the Dark Knight and still have a compelling film. Batman can fit into pretty much any genre. I can just imagine a detective, thriller story.

Yeah, I don't think they've ever successfully captured the whole 'world's greatest detective' angle in any of the films before. Would love to see a story revolving around Batman using his brain instead of his fists/tank-car-thing/giant bike with guns to get from one end of the story to the other.

I think Riddler's the ideal candidate for a more slow-paced, cerebral Batman movie.

So I guess it's up in the air where this fits in the DC saga calendar, right?

I know what you mean but I think that's what it takes for it to work on the big screen. Anything short of epic high stakes equals "just another day in the life of Batman/Justice League/Avengers/etc". That's fine for the random monthly comic or even a random episode if it were a show like Daredevil, but it's gotta be big for the big screen.

Not every film is like that though. Silence of the Lambs, The Departed, Gone Girl, Seven, Leon the Professional, Taxi Driver, etc.

I definitely think it's possible to make a more personal film without the explosions or a countdown clock. That's what was so refreshing about Dredd and Mad Max Fury Road. The plot was straightforward and really captured a "day in the life of the character" sort of feel to the story. Batman and his rogues are the perfect way to do a great character study.

I really don't see what they can possibly do for Avengers 3 or the Infinity Wars that hasn't been done. The whole cosmos is going to blow up? Who cares? :lol

I really don't see what they can possibly do for Avengers 3 or the Infinity Wars that hasn't been done. The whole cosmos is going to blow up? Who cares? :lol
I'm with you. At this point, where every Marvel film has a threat to the universe, planet or, in the smallest scale films, only the country as a whole, you can't keep making the movies more impressive by presenting more threatening villains (I realize Apocalypse--a movie where I'm a defender of sorts--is trying to do just that :lol ). At some point, it's just not impressive anymore, and you've got to scale down and change the nature of the narrative to keep things fresh IMO.

And that's what you see in comics. It's not only about escalation all the time, but you have major, universe-shattering events, and once it's over Batman finds himself dealing with gangs in Gotham, or the Teen Titans have a battle with Deathstroke or whatever.

I wonder if they'll use character(s) from Suicide Squad as makeweight villain(s) just to kick things off and give the main villain a big build up?

I'm so glad they got Geoff, some people think he hates Batman but he really doesn't, I hope he gets to write the JL movies and more in this universe, he's on fire right now.

Bats-Hal-ring.jpg

"You're about to see exactly what's on my mind---" "Quiet." And they grab each other.

That's Brokeback dialogue if I ever read it. Plus they're talking about a "ring".

Back