The Batman (June 25, 2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's definitely the 60's look. They kept those ridiculous tights though to the 90's with Carrey.

But at this point, Riddler is pretty much his green suit and derby (or tights) and cane. No rhyme of reason why. Penguin makes sense. Joker makes sense. Riddler... never made sense. You're a brilliant strategist mastermind and you choose green tights?

There is so much possibility to reinvent the Riddler with a whole new look. Seems like it would be fun and a challenge. Not that The Batman movie will accomplish it, but adding the Seven-style serial killer angle is sheer brilliance. And gives this mastermind a fiendish and frightening Zodiac killer menace he never had before. That's a great start. Now change up his outfit.

That's definitely the 60's look. They kept those ridiculous tights though to the 90's with Carrey.

But at this point, Riddler is pretty much his green suit and derby (or tights) and cane. No rhyme of reason why. Penguin makes sense. Joker makes sense. Riddler... never made sense. You're a brilliant strategist mastermind and you choose green tights?

There is so much possibility to reinvent the Riddler with a whole new look. Seems like it would be fun and a challenge. Not that The Batman movie will accomplish it, but adding the Seven-style serial killer angle is sheer brilliance. And gives this mastermind a fiendish and frightening Zodiac killer menace he never had before. That's a great start. Now change up his outfit.
60's looked fun and that was what it was back then. Carrey Riddler was ridiculous. I like my Riddler with tenacity until he is cornered and folds. He is a step ahead mentally, but has the hubris to leave clues to show his superiority. Opens the door for him to get caught.

Interesting to make him a serial killer. A unique twist to take the character in a different direction. I like bold but smart risk-taking that the director is going with. I hope it pays off. The better the villain, the better the movie.

Ironically, the Zodiac killer looks an awful lot like the Riddler.

WtP1Lj8.jpg

Ironically, the Zodiac killer looks an awful lot like the Riddler.

WtP1Lj8.jpg
I hope they use a photo like that in the movie. I will instantly feel creeped out!

I was a little paranoid after watching Zodiac. Like just sitting at a stop light at night, a dude could be coming out of the shadows just to blow your brains out and you never seen it coming.

What if the Riddler has a bunch question mark tattoos and riddles all over his body? :lol That's one way to update the question marks spandex outfit. :chase

Serial killers in real life don't wear anything crazy.

Last edited:
If it was up to me, I'd make his green costume his day job uniform.

Like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo, except green instead of blue. Those same glasses too, but with a purple frame as a reference to his old mask days.

ZiU6bR1.gif

The tattoo thing just makes me think Jared Leto.

Riddler is too smart for markings. He'd be like John Doe -- acid off his fingertips, change his dental records, wear contacts, etc.

I think a great Riddler would also be a paranoid psychopath -- he's so smart he'd feel the government must be watching him, that they must have smart people like him in their clutches. He wouldn't leave anything to chance, and no clues left behind except what he wants left behind.

His own paranoia would be a great way to trick him and defeat him in the end. By his own insecurity and fear.

The tattoo thing just makes me think Jared Leto.

Riddler is too smart for markings. He'd be like John Doe -- acid off his fingertips, change his dental records, wear contacts, etc.

I think a great Riddler would also be a paranoid psychopath -- he's so smart he'd feel the government must be watching him, that they must have smart people like him in their clutches. He wouldn't leave anything to chance, and no clues left behind except what he wants left behind.

His own paranoia would be a great way to trick him and defeat him in the end. By his own insecurity and fear.
I don't know.

I see him as always daring himself to be caught - hence the riddles. If someone of high enough intelligence solves the riddles, (e.g., The Batman), he'll have various back up plans. It's all about the challenge, the battle of wits that he craves to make his exploits interesting.

I liked The Riddler of Gotham, the kind of villain who could've slotted into the Nolanverse.

the-new-gotham-power-couple-s4e19.jpg

No.

But that cliche Irish longshoreman image for Riddler seems to go against his very conceit -- brilliant mastermind.

I would not have picked either "dockworker ginger" or "Leprechaun" for Riddler. A limited imagination created that. Hmmm, let's see, green outfit, red hair... I know, he's Irish, like a Leprechaun. :lol

The better choice is to go against that in every way, since the colors already build that in.

Is Poison Ivy an Irish lass too in this comic?
My Dad was an Irish longshore man who came to America , he ended up as a Dean of a college of Engineering......

No, not really.....but why can a super smart guys start out in a physical labr and end up as a intellectual mastermind? I think it’s much more cliche to make him a computer nerd who get picked on and fights back.

I found it very refreshing to see a more physically intimidating and gruff version of the Riddler who also was sly, and tricky. Which is what this version was. He was not so much a computer nerd, but a trickster who was a good planner and deceiver .
Jim Carey’s wacko Riddler was my absolute least favorite. It was basicallly the Mask character in Batman....but that while film was a disaster to me.

That is not an example.
Damn dude....you are being quite the contrarian today......
Here you lazy bones....

Chris Gardner
There are many examples of people from low end hard working class to make it out. Intelligence is not limited to the wealthy. Power for good or bad can be leveraged from many beginnings.

Ben Affleck would match the description of working class to super star, influential .....

No, I get that, isn't that just about every heroic and feel-good movie?

I assumed maybe you had someone specific in mind, I wasn't suggesting that it was impossible. I couldn't think of anyone -- a real-world example of a rough-and-tumble low means type becoming a world famous mastermind. Plenty examples of poor people becoming rich... but a world class mastermind I couldn't think of.

Anyway, I still don't like the stereotypical red-headed Irish roughabout becoming a wily mastermind super-criminal. The two stereotypes don't fit well.

Back