Tennis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneWolf

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's strange that there is no thread for Tennis here. There has to be other Tennis fans/players in this forum. :impatient:

Let's talk about the sport here, including:
- the ATP Men's & WTA Women's Tour
- Playing non-professional competitive tournaments
- Social tennis
- Tips & Secrets to improve gameplay
- Tennis equipment, apparel & gear

TennisMatchStangl288(1).jpg

Tennis_Racket_and_Balls.jpg

I'll watch the semis and finals of the bigger matches. Some of those recent matches between Nadal, Jkovic, Federer have just been amazing.

I do with my teen age daughters and some times my wife. My girls and I get after it when we play. None of this just lob it over the net when serve and rally.

I also LOVE tennis. I'm more of a watcher, as I suck REAL bad and don't have anybody to play with, but I watch the 4 Grand Slams and some tournaments on TV when I can.

Wimbledon 2012

Congratulations to Roger Federer for winning his 17th Grandslam Title (7th Wimbledon Title), and reclaiming the #1 ranking.
For being #1 this week, he ties Pete Sampras for the most number of weeks as World #1 in the Men's Tour. He just needs 1 more week to eclipse the record:

weekly-jul9-federer_gala.jpg

I hope he wins the US Open, and further silences his critics that he is too old to play tennis and can no longer keep up with Rafa & Novak. :clap

Glad he got one more although I hope that wasn't Andy Murray's last chance at a Wimbledon final.

:pray: hoping he can raise his game to be able to beat Nadal or Djokovic because he surely won't get so lucky as to not have to play either of them in the semis next year and beyond.

I am a Federer fan, so I'm glad that he won, but on the other hand, I feel really bad for Murray :lol Poor guy got so close, in his home country's grand slam final, and couldn't seal the deal.

I guess you could say i am a closet Tennis fan and my favorite player is Nadal for sure, Joker is ok but, he's a ****** so, good on Rodger for reclaiming #1 spot.

For the women, you just can't say Serena Williams isn't the most dominant player in the history of womens tennis and i love that she doesn't sound like a dying pigeon when she hits the ball, actually she doesn't make any sound at all yet all the others do and they still can't hit the ball as hard. XD

:lol

Yea, i remember that. XD

Still, disputes like that are always occurring in tennis from time to time.

I just find that most of the European women on the court look sexy sure but, they ____ing suck compared to the Williams sisters..i laugh every time i see these matches, they look helpless. :lol

It's just physical domination. I was talking to my wife about this the other day. I remember when Martina Hingis was one of the most dominating female players around, except when she played the Williams sisters and they just humbled her. Hingis had probably as much technical skill and grace as you could ask for, but it was a whole other level when the strength and speed of the Williams's showed up and just shoved the ball down opponents' throats.

Love tennis. I was very happy to see Fed and Venus winning at wimbledon again. Hope Federer or Nadal take the US Open.

I'm not a fan of the williams sisters. I like underdog stories, and the two Ws are just too overpowering to be likable. Also, they have horrible attitudes. They drop out of tournaments on a whim, often to avoid facing each other. They act like they deserve every victory. Don't acknowledge the other players. Basically they are they Barry Bonds of tennis. If they weren't American's they would be hated here.

Not arsed with the womens game at all to be honest. Other than the Williams sisters everyones too inconsistent to make me give a ****.

Wierd that this thread was brought up just after Wimbledon finished. I didn't know there was one, would have talked about it while the tournament was on.

I don't have any TV service in my apartment so I went down to our little weight room expecting to find it on NBC but NOPE!:( and no ESPN or ESPN2 either.

Really glad that Fed won his first major in 2 years. I can't see this happening but I would love for him to atleast tie Graf's record of 22:yess:

wonder if we'll hear anymore from the guy that beat Nadal
hum.gif

I remember someone beating Sampras back in the day and then getting knocked out himself by Tim Henman. That chap went on to some success later on though, he's now on 7 Wimbledon wins.

Wow.. started this thread a few months back & did not get as much response. Glad to see more Tennis fans on the board. :wave

Agree with a-dev, I couldn't care less about Women's tennis. If you notice, every Grandslam tourney there's almost always a new winner, different from the last 3 or 4. :slap At the beginning of the year, everybody thought Victoria Azarenka is the new "powerhouse" in women's tennis, then Sharapova won the French Open (to complete a 'career Grandslam'), then Serena again in Wimbledon. It's not always good to see a sport where there are no 2-3 consistent dominant/best players.
E.g. Men's Tennis (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic), Basketball (LeBron, Kobe, Durant)

I am a Federer fan (stupidly bought one of his U$80 signature Nike Tennis shirts pretty recently, instead of 1/6-scale stuff), so I hope he wins another 'slam or 2 in the next 2 years. Andre Agassi was World #1 when he was 33 years old, age shouldn't matter for great players. :)

I'm a casual fan really. I wouldn't seek out French, US and Australian opens on TV, couldn't really tell you who won those in any given year. I pretty much just watch Wimbledon.

What tennis is like to me, moreso if you're actually backing someone, is a really long football (soccer) penalty shootout. It can be that intense throughout a match especially when you're talking about breakpoints, set points, tie-breaks and obviously match points - all these different times in a match that have you almost curled up in an effeminate ball on your chair with the nerves.

You hit the nail on the head about the womens game, thats what I was getting at. Williamses excepted there is no one who you can say is any more than a one or two slam wonder - and no one that dominates for any long period, they win one and then not another one for another 2 years or something. And they all have 'ova' at the end of their names making them virtually indistinguishable!

I remember the Agassi comeback years. I loved Agassi, wished he'd won more Wimbledons.

Back