Temple Of Doom Fans

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's almost as if during filming Spielberg and Lucas had a bunch of old pulp adventure and EC Horror comics laying around the set and Spielberg would look at a bunch of the images and be like "And I want the next scene to look just like this comic panel!"

LJN's TOD action figures.

You read that right. The same company that made so many awful movie-licensed games back in the day made a TOD toyline (among toylines for other popular properties back in the day). Sadly the Short Round and Willie figures never got made. Supposedly a mine cart and playset was supposed to be made but never happened, from what I remember reading. Those toys don't look to be the most high-quality but still have that vintage charm and appeal to them. They go for a lot nowadays as you'd expect for vintage toys from the 80s.

LJN's TOD action figures.

You read that right. The same company that made so many awful movie-licensed games back in the day made a TOD toyline (among toylines for other popular properties back in the day). Sadly the Short Round and Willie figures never got made. Supposedly a mine cart and playset was supposed to be made but never happened, from what I remember reading. Those toys don't look to be the most high-quality but still have that vintage charm and appeal to them. They go for a lot nowadays as you'd expect for vintage toys from the 80s.

God I'd love to see what that mine cart playset would've looked like!

For whatever reason, the Indiana Jones figure license never gets the love as many other famous 80s movies. Im assuming Hasbro has the license at the moment but the last time we got anything was during the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull release.

Since Neca has done wonders with 80s movie licenses from Gremlins, Aliens, Terminator, to Back to the Future. I wish they can get the license to make ultimate Indiana Jones figures. Its not like anybody else is doing anything with the license.

Indy has never had great luck with toys, and merchandising as a whole. I'm not entirely sure why. I would absolutely LOVE if Neca got the license!!!!!! Can you imagine?!

I too would love it if Neca got the license, but since filming has just started on the new Indy film, I would expect Hasbro to reveal a Black Series type line closer to the film release. :pray:

Such a shame how the TOD wave in the 2008 Hasbro series was the last to see release and thus also the rarest and most pricey. There's a good chance we'll at least get a new Indy toyline next year to coincide with the release of the new film. Such a shame there's never been all that much in the way of Indy merchandise and action figures.

uch a shame how the TOD wave in the 2008 Hasbro series was the last to see release and thus also the rarest and most pricey. There's a good chance we'll at least get a new Indy toyline next year to coincide with the release of the new film. Such a shame there's never been all that much in the way of Indy merchandise and action figures.

I think I got everything that Hasbro made for the 3 3/4" line, multiples of many of the figures and vehicles because they were so heavily reduced by the end. Though I think I only got one of each of the TOD range, because they were rarer.

I'll have to go up into the attic and catalogue what I actually did end up with.

At the time they were like a dream come true. The only thing I have from the original Kenner range is a carded Sallah.

Then there was a Disney series, of which I only got the German Mechanic, and the Ark crate that came with the German soldier. Probably not something we'll ever see again in a toy line, considering the markings:

GERMANSOLDIER_loose.jpg

The last of the Hasbro series to actually see release was the Raiders 30th Anniversary box set, which was an SDCC 2011 exclusive:

indianaJones30th35_M.jpg

(Photo taken from Hasbro Indiana Jones Toys - SDCC 2011 Exclusive 30th Anniversary Set - Parry Game Preserve)

It was the only part of that series that I didn't stash away.

I still kind of regret passing up on that Lost Wave. It goes for ridiculous eBay prices now.

I haven't checked the prices in years. It was so long ago I can't remember how much I paid, but it was when they first came out.

It's the only figures that I don't have loose examples of.

I haven't checked the prices in years. It was so long ago I can't remember how much I paid, but it was when they first came out.

It's the only figures that I don't have loose examples of.
Probably dirt cheap by today's standards. They were available directly thru Hasbro's site, I recall. At the time, I was kind of disappointed in the quality of the figures they put out, the paint especially. And those scrawny necks.

Probably dirt cheap by today's standards. They were available directly thru Hasbro's site, I recall. At the time, I was kind of disappointed in the quality of the figures they put out, the paint especially. And those scrawny necks.

I think I got mine on eBay.

When I decided to focus on 1/6 I got rid of much of everything else, but the Indy collection was too nostalgic. Probably because I'd missed out on the originals.

Funnily enough I had no problem getting rid of the Kenner Star Wars collection, even though I'd been collecting that almost since it began.

My favourite piece from the Hasbro Indy line was the Mercedes truck. I ended up with several of them, including the version with the fabric cover.

Prior to the 30th Anniversary set, the very last pieces that ended up dumped in the clearance shops were the little trap sets and the German soldier with the motorcycle.

I kinda ignored the Hasbro stuff during KOTCS since I was focused on 1/6. I got a few 3 3/4 Indys though when I would see them on clearance, including the 12" talking Indy. I would have liked the truck too and I always had my eye out for that if it was ever on clearance, but I don't think it ever was, or I just missed it. I was looking to pay like $20 bucks for it. Nowadays it's ridiculously priced on ebay--like over $100. Way too much for me.

There were definitely some nice pieces throughout that line, the vehicles especially. But they never seemed to get Indy right. Close at times, but never right on the money. I really hope to see that wrong made right with Indy 5 under way. Indy has never gotten the respect the property deserves when it came to merchandise and collectibles.

Back around that time somebody was making TOD monkey heads and ROTLA Tough Sergeant heads for the 3 3/4" series.

Monkey Heads.jpg

Tough Sgt.jpg

As a stand in for the flying wing I got a 1/18 Me 262 which took up so much space I had to put it on top of the wardrobe:

Jet.jpg

And because there was no black uniformed Vogel I gave one a repaint:

Vogel.jpg

I found those photos in my old Photobucket account, and they're all that seems to be left of the ones I took. I also had a Cairo market scene with building frontages, and one for KOTCS with the Temple of Akator set, the Russians and their jungle cutting tank.

The Harry Potter 3 3/4" Hogwarts made for a pretty good TLC castle interior!

I lost interest in the smaller figures but couldn't bear to part with them.

I kinda ignored the Hasbro stuff during KOTCS since I was focused on 1/6. I got a few 3 3/4 Indys though when I would see them on clearance, including the 12" talking Indy. I would have liked the truck too and I always had my eye out for that if it was ever on clearance, but I don't think it ever was, or I just missed it. I was looking to pay like $20 bucks for it. Nowadays it's ridiculously priced on ebay--like over $100. Way too much for me.

There were definitely some nice pieces throughout that line, the vehicles especially. But they never seemed to get Indy right. Close at times, but never right on the money. I really hope to see that wrong made right with Indy 5 under way. Indy has never gotten the respect the property deserves when it came to merchandise and collectibles.

Between the cloth covered and plastic covered truck, I preferred the latter:

2155cd6614b24b9ea73c751bfc0b4920lg.jpg

41oz8WMeTwL.jpg

Googling for the photos it looks like quite a few people customised and painted the truck up and made it look pretty special.

Back