Temple Of Doom Fans

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love a ShortRound, I've been trying to commission a 3d model head sculpt so I can create the moulds but no one seems to want to have a go :dunno

I've also tweaked the paint job on the latest ToD mine carts and improved the lamps slightly.

Cart 02.jpg

Cart 03.jpg

Cart 01.jpg

Cart 04.jpg

Jas

Been so long since I was last here. Hope everyone is well, especially during these scary and uncertain times with this pandemic going on. I've had a lot going on in my life as of late, thankfully mostly not bad. I hope the same for everyone else.

TOD is still not just my favorite Indy film but one of my all-around favorite films ever. The backlash it still sometimes gets saddens me but it's awesome to see it has it's share of fans and defenders. It's totally it's own animal among the rest of the series and IMO in the best way possible. I can never imagine the series without it.

I'd love for the next film to be more akin to it with a darker, creepier tone and storyline. Seeing as Spielberg is stepping down as director, I wonder if this could mean a more TOD-like installment? Spielberg has always been vocal about his disliking for it (which no doubt has played a big role in the hate) and he seems to be reluctant to even acknowledge it exists. No idea if James Mangold is a TOD fan, but I think the fifth and final film is in good hands under him. He directed the two best X-Men films with Logan and The Wolverine, and I trust he'll give Indy an excellent swansong. If he happens to be a TOD fan and might want Indy 5 to be akin to it that'd make it all the more awesome to me. We could still get a darker in tone Indy film under Disney, after how Rogue One for Star Wars was. Indy's final adventure IMO should be something dark, bold and intense, not something run of the mill that plays it safe and tries too hard to be nostalgic.

I'm sure Mangold will try to bring back some of the edge and intensity of the first two films, but it won't be as dark or creepy as TOD. Especially with this being the final one in the series starring Ford, the studio will probably insist that it be as audience-friendly as possible.

At the very least I'm hoping it's tonally close to Raiders, which has equal moments of darkness and levity. TOD went for a more Horror-like tone than the others, whereas Raiders balanced out the adventurous and scary elements quite well. In any event, I hope to leave the theater two years from now feeling I not only witnessed an epic series finale, but the best entry since TOD.

The mine cart is still one of my favorite pieces in my collection :hi5:

It's my favorite sequence from the films and to have it in toy form would be amazing. Wasn't a playset originally supposed to be made for the LJN toyline back in 1984 when TOD came out, but it was never produced? I know that line also had planned figures of Short Round and Willie that sadly also went unproduced.

With Indy 5 planned to come out in 2022, I'd imagine this coming year Hasbro will likely get to work on production for the new toys, so it'd be nice if any TOD figures were much easier to find and also included a mine cart vehicle/playset combination. The TOD line for the 2008 toys was the last to see release and did so right near the tail end of the line's run, unfortunately making all of the figures in it very rare and difficult to acquire.

YGYFZoN.jpg

Apparently there's a campaign (or was?) to get new Indy Lego sets which haven't been made in a long time. Macabre yet cute to see the sacrificial altar/chamber from TOD in Lego form. Thats such an intense moment from the film and I'd imagine it scarred many kids back in the day.

I probably posted about this before here, but the Slave Children's Crusade is such an amazing, epic piece of music that rates among the very best tracks John Williams has ever done (that's saying a lot considering his other epic, iconic scores). What a heroic, dynamic piece of music, and it's usage during the scene where Indy appears before punching the Thuggee guard... absolute cinematic magic.

This is probably a long shot but does anyone have a spare 1/6 "heart" available for sale?

I just can't bring myself to pay $27 bucks for one on ebay.

My Mola Ram needs his bleeding heart... :lol

Did you check again with Spenser? He did say everyone who got his outfit will get a heart. That said, I'm waiting on mine too. I'm thinking when he gets back to Short Round in February would be the best time for him to follow up on that.

Did you check again with Spenser? He did say everyone who got his outfit will get a heart. That said, I'm waiting on mine too. I'm thinking when he gets back to Short Round in February would be the best time for him to follow up on that.

Yep. I reached out twice to him but never heard back. I didn't want to keep bugging him, as I'm sure he's busy, so I figured perhaps another option would be possible. But I'm in no rush if it will eventually be made available.

I found a local mine that was doing tours, so I put together a 'Temple Of Doom' photoshoot with some local cosplayers!

(I can't post links or photos yet since my account is new)

I've been working slowly on a costume for years, getting a few items from WHAT PRICE GLORY, and some vintage New York Giants hats from eBay.

I found a local mine that was doing tours, so I put together a 'Temple Of Doom' photoshoot with some local cosplayers!

(I can't post links or photos yet since my account is new)

I've been working slowly on a costume for years, getting a few items from WHAT PRICE GLORY, and some vintage New York Giants hats from eBay.

Definitely want to see these, this sounds awesome.

I read the article from not too long ago where Spielberg disowns TOD and called it horrific. Sad to see even Spielberg has disowned TOD :( No doubt his vocal disdain for it has only added to the hate. I wonder if he's ever had a chance to re-visit the film? He was firing on all cylinders when he made that film and you'd never be able to tell it's director hated the film with how energetic it is.

One thing about TOD that always stuck out to me is the opening title, how it's the only one of the series that actually uses the comic book-esque, pulp style whereas the other three using the basic black and white text. I think the opening title (combined with the musical number the film opens with) really sets the tone for what a larger than life adventure TOD is and how it really embraces the pulp roots of the character. It'd be awesome if 5 used the font for the opening titles.

One thing about TOD that always stuck out to me is the opening title, how it's the only one of the series that actually uses the comic book-esque, pulp style whereas the other three using the basic black and white text. I think the opening title (combined with the musical number the film opens with) really sets the tone for what a larger than life adventure TOD is and how it really embraces the pulp roots of the character. It'd be awesome if 5 used the font for the opening titles.

Great points. I loved the opening scenes of TOD right up until they jumped out of the airplane in a life raft. That was a "What da?!" wincing moment that only got worse with each drop.

The raft as parachute stunt is absurd for sure but I find the movie makes it work. It's no more out there than any other outlandish stunt in the series, which I think is part of the appeal of the series as a whole. Plus I think with more pulpy feel and tone the film was going for it fit. TOD of all the films really feels like it tried to replicate the tone, feel, style and visuals of the vintage adventure serials and pulp comics that inspired the character to begin with, and there's numerous shots you'd swear they used the pulp comics as storyboards.

The raft as parachute stunt is absurd for sure but I find the movie makes it work. It's no more out there than any other outlandish stunt in the series, which I think is part of the appeal of the series as a whole. Plus I think with more pulpy feel and tone the film was going for it fit. TOD of all the films really feels like it tried to replicate the tone, feel, style and visuals of the vintage adventure serials and pulp comics that inspired the character to begin with, and there's numerous shots you'd swear they used the pulp comics as storyboards.

AGREED.

Back