Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i cant remember but i think i had a lot of reward points i put towards this back then i think i had over $100 i put toward this release as i didn`t have a 3po in true scale. i had the medicom version but wasn`t happy with the scale wise.

I don't think HT would be able to top it and if they tried it would be around $500 or better if they tried full diecast. The MSRP for the tamashi through SS was $400 which I why I waited it out after it was released.

HT has never done a full diecast figure and i doubt they would start with C3PO. The Iron Man figures have about 90% of the diecast in the legs.

Is shortening Tamashii to Tama a thing in 1/6th circles? Honest question. Been collecting Bandai for years, and never saw anyone referring to the brand that way.

People shorten everything, Proto.
:lol Obviously he doesn't do a lot of typing of brands... such as SSC, HT, Medi, BW, GG and... Tama.

The rule appears to be anything more than six letters and that brand gets shortened (Hasbro and Marmit seem to have survived the dreaded shortening, yet Medicom with seven did not, though Mattel with six still gets Matty... even from Mattel itself.) :rotfl

And um, technically we should be writing "Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin" every time we talk about 3PO, so even "Tamashii" is shortening. :lecture

:lol Obviously he doesn't do a lot of typing of brands... such as SSC, HT, Medi, BW, GG and... Tama.

And um, technically we should be writing "Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin" every time we talk about 3PO, so even "Tamashii" is shortening.
"Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin" who has time to type all of that?

And um, technically we should be writing "Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin" every time we talk about 3PO, so even "Tamashii" is shortening. :lecture

"Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin" who has time to type all of that?

We should just go all out and use the longest and most cumbersome name possible:

Bandai Kabushiki-gaisha Co., Ltd. Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Written and Directed by George Lucas C-3PO Die-Cast Sixth Scale Figure Assortment Number 901863 UPC 4543112779748

We should just go all out and use the longest and most cumbersome name possible:

Bandai Kabushiki-gaisha Co., Ltd. Tamashii Nations Perfect Model Chogokin Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope Written and Directed by George Lucas C-3PO Die-Cast Sixth Scale Figure Assortment Number 901863 UPC 4543112779748
yeah um no

Clearly this thread needs some pics

C5BECF80-CECF-462B-A78C-1827809ABF5B.jpeg

Agreed the C-3PO looks beautiful, but never understood why anyone would want to spend so much on an R2 with rivets on the panels. Is that accurate to some source? I always wondered.

As to the name shortening conundrum, thing is when people collect Bandai - from the kaiju vinyls all the way to SH Figuarts, nothing is really labelled as ‘Tamashii’, if you see what I mean. These came out under the Chogokin banner, didn’t they? I’m surprised they don’t get more frequent reissues. I think the R2 did some years ago, but I never saw the 3PO get rereleased since I came out of my dark ages a decade or so ago.

Agreed the C-3PO looks beautiful, but never understood why anyone would want to spend so much on an R2 with rivets on the panels. Is that accurate to some source? I always wondered.

As to the name shortening conundrum, thing is when people collect Bandai - from the kaiju vinyls all the way to SH Figuarts, nothing is really labelled as ‘Tamashii’, if you see what I mean. These came out under the Chogokin banner, didn’t they? I’m surprised they don’t get more frequent reissues. I think the R2 did some years ago, but I never saw the 3PO get rereleased since I came out of my dark ages a decade or so ago.

Yes, it's technically accurate but a case of trying to be a little too accurate.

They had two types of R2-D2 props for Episode IV; a two legged version for Kenny Baker, and a three legged motorized remote controlled version. The remote controlled R2-D2 ended up with prominent rivets, though most people never noticed.

Tamashii Nations made them far too big, and it doesn't help that they're painted in on the figure. At this scale, they should've been needle point small or left off entirely which would've been preferable. Still a beautiful representation of R2-D2 overall, though.

tantive-3leg.jpg

Chogokin in Japanese means super-alloy, which was a word made up for a brand of manga, anime, and die-cast toys in the 70's.

C-3PO and R2-D2 were released under the Tamashii Nations brand. They are called Perfect Model Chogokin figures (probably an homage due to their die-cast parts), but they are not part of Bandai's Soul of Chogokin brand.

Bandai's Tamashii Nations division is pretty prominent, especially for the US market. They're in charge of producing the higher end collectibles - mainly figures and props - like Figuarts, Movie Realizations, and Proplicas.

The full name for the Figuarts line is "Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H. Figuarts" but nobody would say that in normal conversation.

Last edited:
Yes, it's technically accurate but a case of trying to be a little too accurate.

They had two types of R2-D2 props for Episode IV; a two legged version for Kenny Baker, and a three legged motorized remote controlled version. The remote controlled R2-D2 ended up with prominent rivets, though most people never noticed.

Tamashii Nations made them far too big, and it doesn't help that they're painted in on the figure. At this scale, they should've been needle point small or left off entirely which would've been preferable.

View attachment 557822

Chogokin in Japanese means super-alloy, which was a word made up for a brand of manga, anime, and die-cast toys in the 70's.

C-3PO and R2-D2 were released under the Tamashii Nations brand. They are called Perfect Model Chogokin figures (probably an homage due to their die-cast parts), but they are not part of Bandai's Soul of Chogokin brand.

Bandai's Tamashii Nations division is pretty prominent, especially for the US market. They're in charge of producing the higher end collectibles - mainly figures and props - like Figuarts, Movie Realizations, and Proplicas.

The full name for the Figuarts line is "Bandai Tamashii Nations S.H. Figuarts" but nobody would say that in normal conversation.
Thanks for the break down. So are these in perfect 1/6 scale or under scaled? I like that they include the diecast elements. They look really great.

Tamashii Nations made them far too big, and it doesn't help that they're painted in on the figure. At this scale, they should've been needle point small or left off entirely which would've been preferable. Still a beautiful representation of R2-D2 overall, though.

View attachment 557822

Actually, the Chogokin (in the general meaning of the word) line has more sublines. There is the popular one, Soul of Chogokin, the higher end and larger scaled DX SOC, the DX Chogokin line which includes the massively popular DX Macross stuff, and the other Chogokin line - often casually referred to as simply Chogokin - under which this R2 would fall (they also have a Hello Kitty metal figure I see …). You can see what’s what on the Japanese TN website.

For all of the short comings people point out on the Sideshow version, it really looks great in that group shot. Would love to have one with some diecast, but the SS really does display well in terms of looking like he did on screen.

I agree - in that lineup, the SS R2 looks the most R2-ish to me! I have (and love) all 3 - plus the HT OT version too of course :)

The Hot Toys and Tamashii are pretty comparable in size. The Sideshow is a bit underscaled.

View attachment 557831

Picture courtesy of Rebelscum.
I have all three of these guys as well. Here's my opinion if you're interested.

Tamashii:
Tamashii is the most accurate for what it's trying to accomplish (if you covered the rivets, it would be the most accurate in general). Every detail is there. It's almost entirely metal, it comes with the hoses, which are nice, and it has the most accurate lights. The cons are that it's way too pristine looking, and the the part you would most expect to be metal, is plastic, which is the dome, and it looks plastic to me, which is a bummer. The lights while nice looking, suffer from the same problem my Tamashii 3PO has which is that they are as bright as flashlights. It barely comes with any accessories.

Hot Toys (TFA version):
Hot Toys R2 has the best overall presentation, and the dome is made of metal, and it looks like it. There's a few missing details, but they are minor, and it has the best paint job of them all. The lights on the Hot Toys version are almost as perfect as the Tamashii, but they are dimmed to the correct level on the Hot Toys version, which I think puts it ahead of the Tamashii lights overall. The TFA version is bare bones and comes with nothing, but the second offering from Hot Toys comes with everything, and I missed it.

Sideshow:
The SS version is satisfactory for displaying in a way that he's not being featured, as in riding on the back of the land speeder, or on his tip-toes, looking into Yoda's hut. This one also comes with the most accessories of you got the deluxe. The drawbacks are that it's the least accurate of the three, and has a cheap overall feel in your hands, but that's irrelevant when he's being displayed.

All three are decent purchases, and there's a place for all three in your collection. I use Tamashii for my ANH version, and Hot Toys for my ESB display, and the SS version for my RotJ display, with the bartender attachments.

Back