Storm Collectibles - Mortal Kombat

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My figures arrived yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time to spend with them yet - especially with their accessories and alternate hand options - but I've got a pretty good feeling for them to formulate some opinions.

IMG_0987.jpg

These are my first Storm Collectibles figures. Ever. I was never really a fan of the proportions on their 1/12 figures (or the fact their "1/12" MK figures were closer to 1/10th...), but the proportions here were pretty solid. So, initial thoughts:

Pros:
- The material usage here is great. Almost everything here is cloth goods sans the hoods, feet, and hand guards. The sculpting is great on the faces (even if they're both seemingly the same face). There's a very slight "weathering" on the cloth and armor pieces that give it a lived-in feel that works well. Since nearly everything is removable, those looking to do a body swap shouldn't have too many issues.
- While they've had their looks change and evolve over the years, this is very much the classic versions filtered through the MK11 lens and it works incredibly well as a near perfect hybrid for me of all the styles they've had over the years.
- I have so many Hot Toys that are just so rigid they almost might as well feel like statues. These guys are highly poseable and the cloth goods ensure they're not going to deteriorate and fall apart if I have the audacity to put these ninjas in actual ninja-like poses. That's legit great.
- They have a decent selection of accessories to boot. I got the "Special Editions" from Bandai so they all came with a bonus set of bloody weapons and accessories that have a very authentic Mortal Kombat feel. I'd recommend going that route.

Cons:
- There's no getting around it for me; the joints aren't very aesthetically pleasing. They're MUCH improved over the promo shots, so kudos to the team for making them blend better. But they still don't look great. You can kind of hide the shoulder joints if you push the armbands up higher, and certain angles can hide the elbow bends, but it still feels like they missed the mark. The figures have double-jointed elbows, but get just barely past a 90 degree bend regardless.
- Some might not care either, but I'm a stickler for these kind of things, especially at this scale and at this price, but they are undersized. Officially, I know both characters are about 6'2" but proportionally they're closer to 5'8" in scale. Some ankle extenders might eleviate the problem, but it's still a bummer that Storm made their 1/12 figures too big and their 1/6 figures too small.
- Joint strength is surprisingly weak on my copies. They can still hold a pose, but their legs feel very loose - Sub-Zero more than Scorpion - and they're prone to doing the splits if they aren't balanced right or have too much weight on a pose. I expected a stronger core body here. Sub-Zero has fallen over twice now.
- I've heard so much about the nightmare that is changing out the hands. It's true. These things are a royal pain. Boiling water, hairdryer, pliers... you'll need it. It makes me not want to change them out ever again.
- They both do come with stands. That said, they remind me of Gundam kit stands, and feel very impersonal and generic. Why they don't have proper custom bases is beyond me; they're screaming for it. Give me a Sub-Zero with an icy snow base and Scorpion with a burning Netherrealm base. What we get feels undersized and generic to the point they take away from what the figures display so well. They're presented like premium figures, but the stands don't fit that.
- I'll be blunt that there's a feeling that something is "missing" on them to really feel like they justify the asking price. It's hard to honestly say there's a lot of value here. They're asking for Hot Toys-tier pricing, and you get a lot of bare essentials. 5 sets of hands for both. Subby gets some nifty ice effects, an iced over skull and spine, an ice axe, and some kunai daggers he never uses in the game, while Scorpion has his trademark spear, two katanas, and a chain and a fire uppercut effect. The Bandai store doubles up on the weapons with bloody variants, which does feel like a better value. But it's still not hard to see some glaringly obvious missing options here. Scorpion lacking a skull head is a no-brainer. Both have unmasked head options in the game proper. Outside of Bandai-exclusive weapons, there's no real gore effects like I've seen Storm do so well with their 1/12 line or the previous 1/6 Worldbox figures. I could come up with a half-dozen alternate accessories to better replicate moves and shots from the games that are just lacking in these releases, and at the asking price it feels like we just should have gotten more.

Conclusion:
- I may have come across as pretty critical, and a lot of that is because I have a lot of high expectations and an insane love for these characters. I grew up with these characters - of my younger brother and I as kids duking it out on the Sega Genesis (he was Scorpion, and I was Sub-Zero). We watched the movie on repeat so many times. We had the soundtrack on cassette. I was a moderator on the Mortal Kombat online forums for over a decade. I'm still into the series. I've had the pleasure of speaking with the Mortal Kombat creators a few times for interviews and retrospectives. So a lot of my critiques come from wanting them to just have a homerun release with this 1/6 line of MK figures, for it to succeed, and for more to be made.

So despite a lot of shortcomings, I'm still extremely happy with them. They're not homeruns, but they didn't strikeout either. They pose better than half my collection, the materials used feel premium, and what accessories we do get fit them well and have a lot of display possibilities. I think a lot of issues could be fixed with a Phicen body swap with a stronger metal frame (the hand openings are larger than a typical Phicen port, FYI), but they're still solid enough - just enough - for me to be happy to have them, and they'll have a prominent position in my display. I'm always going to look at them and think of those times I fought my brother in the original games and smile. That counts for a hell of a lot.

And for some fun, a comparison with the first MK figure I ever bought.
IMG_0988.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw someone do one. I think it looks much better.
Storm Collectibles MK 11 Sub-Zero & Scorpion

Picture 15 shows off the Phicen swap. I was told "The belt is tied in the back and will be the hardest part to remove and put back on. The head and feet mate with the Phicen perfectly BUT the hands will not. The stock wrist pegs are huge so the holes in the hands are bigger than the Phicen metal wrist peg. You can use the Phicen hands or use sticky tack to attach the stock hands."

Good info to have.
Awesome, thank you for the info!!!

Got my Subzero & Scorpion and swapped the original bodies for the Phicen M33 bodies. Phicen bodies are definitely taller than the stock bodies. Phicen Skin tone is a bit off from the factory painted skin tone but not by much. Seamless body looks much better though. As mentioned in a previous post, the phicen metal pegs are too small to fit the Storm collectibles stock hands. You can use the phicen hands which are fine but I ended up using Teflon/plumbers tape to bulk up the phicen pegs and it worked really well with the stock hands and look much better. A couple of other minor issues I ran into are the clothes fit a bit too snug on the phicen body so it'll restrict the poses a bit. Any crazy dynamic poses will more than likely put stress on the stitches which won't be good in the long run. Also, I had to detach the knee pads from the shin gaurds to place them properly. The shin gaurd doesn't slide all the way up the phicen leg shin completely so if left attached, the knee pad will sit below the actual knee cap on the phicen body. One other thing, the biceps on the stock body are prettly bulky which the arms bands fit tightly on. The arm bands are pretty loose on the phicen biceps since they're not as bulky but since its silicone, the arms bands wont slide off as long as you position them a certain way. Besides that, I'd day it's worth it to swap to M33 bodies. Now, I'm trying to see how to custom paint my next M33 body for Noob Saibot😉. Posted a quick pick of Subzero and Scorpion with the M33 bodies.
20221114_192843.jpg

Last edited:
Got my Subzero & Scorpion and swapped the original bodies for the Phicen M33 bodies. Phicen bodies are definitely taller than the stock bodies. Phicen Skin tone is a bit off from the factory painted skin tone but not by much. Seamless body looks much better though. As mentioned in a previous post, the phicen metal pegs are too small to fit the Storm collectibles stock hands. You can use the phicen hands which are fine but I ended up using Teflon/plumbers tape to bulk up the phicen pegs and it worked really well with the stock hands and look much better. A couple of other minor issues I ran into are the clothes fit a bit too snug on the phicen body so it'll restrict the poses a bit. Any crazy dynamic poses will more than likely put stress on the stitches which won't be good in the long run. Also, I had to detach the knee pads from the shin gaurds to place them properly. The shin gaurd doesn't slide all the way up the phicen leg shin completely so if left attached, the knee pad will sit below the actual knee cap on the phicen body. One other thing, the biceps on the stock body are prettly bulky which the arms bands fit tightly on. The arm bands are pretty loose on the phicen biceps since they're not as bulky but since its silicone, the arms bands wont slide off as long as you position them a certain way. Besides that, I'd day it's worth it to swap to M33 bodies. Now, I'm trying to see how to custom paint my next M33 body for Noob Saibot😉. Posted a quick pick of Subzero and Scorpion with the M33 bodies.
View attachment 607889

Would you say the M33 bodies are more tan than the figure or more pale?

View attachment 607889
I wonder if Phicen M32 being slightly thinner might help with the suit tightness although it is taller than M33. The skin tone might be closer to the skin shade of the hands and head too.

Thought I'd share an update in regards to the seamless bodies in case any is interested. Originally I replaced the stock body with the phicen M33 body for both Scorpion and Subzero. Despite the minor issues I mentioned a few posts ago, the m33 bodies are pretty good and I really like them. With that said, I decided to try a phicen m30 after looking at a few comparisons online. Like I said, the m33 is great but the m30, in my opinion is actually a perfect replacement for the stock body. The proportions of the m30 are very similar to the Storm stock body. So the clothes fits MUCH better. The m33 is taller and leaner but the m30 is bulkier especially in the biceps which, IMO, look alot better. Here's a couple of pics I took comparing the m33, storm stock body and m30 along with a side by side comparison of Scorpion with the m33 and Subzero with the m30 seamless body. Sorry about the crappy lighting😅
20221120_195655.jpg
20221122_132332.jpg

Thought I'd share an update in regards to the seamless bodies in case any is interested. Originally I replaced the stock body with the phicen M33 body for both Scorpion and Subzero. Despite the minor issues I mentioned a few posts ago, the m33 bodies are pretty good and I really like them. With that said, I decided to try a phicen m30 after looking at a few comparisons online. Like I said, the m33 is great but the m30, in my opinion is actually a perfect replacement for the stock body. The proportions of the m30 are very similar to the Storm stock body. So the clothes fits MUCH better. The m33 is taller and leaner but the m30 is bulkier especially in the biceps which, IMO, look alot better. Here's a couple of pics I took comparing the m33, storm stock body and m30 along with a side by side comparison of Scorpion with the m33 and Subzero with the m30 seamless body. Sorry about the crappy lighting😅View attachment 609215View attachment 609226
Not sure if you're keeping the different bodies on Scorpion and Sub-Zero but I love how the different height and body mass adds a bit more to differentiate the two as well.

Not sure if you're keeping the different bodies on Scorpion and Sub-Zero but I love how the different height and body mass adds a bit more to differentiate the two as well.

I agree. Ankle extenders can always be added to the M30 body to make them taller which is definitely a great option. I actually won't be keeping the m33 bodies. These things are too expensive so I can't justify having two of them just laying around as extras😅. Really glad amazon allows returns which is what I've done and used the refunds towards the m30's. So pretty much an exchange is what I did.

Thought I'd share an update in regards to the seamless bodies in case any is interested. Originally I replaced the stock body with the phicen M33 body for both Scorpion and Subzero. Despite the minor issues I mentioned a few posts ago, the m33 bodies are pretty good and I really like them. With that said, I decided to try a phicen m30 after looking at a few comparisons online. Like I said, the m33 is great but the m30, in my opinion is actually a perfect replacement for the stock body. The proportions of the m30 are very similar to the Storm stock body. So the clothes fits MUCH better. The m33 is taller and leaner but the m30 is bulkier especially in the biceps which, IMO, look alot better. Here's a couple of pics I took comparing the m33, storm stock body and m30 along with a side by side comparison of Scorpion with the m33 and Subzero with the m30 seamless body. Sorry about the crappy lighting😅View attachment 609215View attachment 609226

Thanks for the info, i plan getting these soon and this looks far better. Time to get some synthetic black dye for Noob coming out soon

I finally got my Sub-Zero. Great figure just like Scorpion swapping the hands needs a blow dryer or hot water. Unfortunately out of the box my copy has a stain on the upper left arm from the clothing. Bit concerning on a new figure that hasn’t been posed this is already there. Randomly decided to try an Ash head on the body too Groovy!

Attachments

• D8F8020F-A9A3-4AA0-BBBF-336C0A387D2B.jpeg
    D8F8020F-A9A3-4AA0-BBBF-336C0A387D2B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3CD56663-E48C-4725-A93F-A0BA05C1C777.jpeg
    3CD56663-E48C-4725-A93F-A0BA05C1C777.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EDE52209-C695-445C-A5D0-C49AFF7B8995.jpeg
    EDE52209-C695-445C-A5D0-C49AFF7B8995.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I finally got my Sub-Zero. Great figure just like Scorpion swapping the hands needs a blow dryer or hot water. Unfortunately out of the box my copy has a stain on the upper left arm from the clothing. Bit concerning on a new figure that hasn’t been posed this is already there. Randomly decided to try an Ash head on the body too Groovy!
He looks great, maybe magic eraser for the arm stain? I’m still waiting for Timewalker to receive theirs so I can finally have my 2 ninjas.

He looks great, maybe magic eraser for the arm stain? I’m still waiting for Timewalker to receive theirs so I can finally have my 2 ninjas.
Waiting on EKnight for mine. I think all US vendors are waiting on sub zero. Scorpion is in a BBTS and EK

Back