Star Wars: Visions | Disney+ | September 2021

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is being gay bad? Plus it's literally supposed to be a child. It was the worst episode by far though.

Is being gay bad? Plus it's literally supposed to be a child. It was the worst episode by far though.
Been burning through the episodes today. Loved the Kurosawa inspired one, find the rest uneven at best but it's more a stylistic issue. I will say that most of them do a good job nailing two aspects of the OT: a simplistic story told in broad strokes, with plenty of space left for mysteries wherein we're left to fill in the blanks ourselves rather than being force-fed via a firehose of vertical marketing integration and sloppy connect-all-the-dots writing, which is what Star Wars became over time.

The episode with the child-robot I skipped within 2 minutes because the animation style and tone were just too far afield from my own tastes.

Been burning through the episodes today. Loved the Kurosawa inspired one, find the rest uneven at best but it's more a stylistic issue. I will say that most of them do a good job nailing two aspects of the OT: a simplistic story told in broad strokes, with plenty of space left for mysteries wherein we're left to fill in the blanks ourselves rather than being force-fed via a firehose of vertical marketing integration and sloppy connect-all-the-dots writing, which is what Star Wars became over time.

The episode with the child-robot I skipped within 2 minutes because the animation style and tone were just too far afield from my own tastes.
I'd probably rate them like this:
  1. The Ninth Jedi (makes me realise how bland and unispired the Sequel Trilogy was, it should have been this but obviously more fleshed out).
  2. The Duel
  3. The Elder/Lop & Ocho
  4. The Village Bride
  5. The Twins
  6. Akakiri
  7. Tattooine Rhapsody
  8. T0-B1

Careful, someone's gonna call you 'woke' any minute. :LOL:
Everytime that word gets thrown around, I remind myself how Gina Carano's career is in the toilet to balance things out, then carry on with my day.

The Duel was visually interesting - apart from the First Order Stormtrooper helmets (!) But it was Star Wars re-imagined to the extreme with everything so overtly (Kurosawa) Japanese. The inexplicable bamboo hat thing on the droid, the lightsaber constantly ignited so it resembled a sheathed katana. Was that a beskar scabbard?

Tatooine Rhapsody was actually a more believable entry. The entertainment industry in Star Wars never did get much of a look in beyond the cantina and Jabba's house band.

The Twins was boring and silly. The graphics were as horrible as the constant exposition. It reminded me of an old He-Man cartoon.

The Village Bride was a little better. And then the Roger Rogers arrived. Ugh!

The Ninth Jedi was a lot better. Far into the future, with the universe having descended into a dark age, it felt very melancholic throughout.

T0-B1 was just horrendous. I skipped forward though this one to shorten the duration. :lol

The Elder was slow, boring, and visually bland. I also skipped through this one.

Lop & Ocho looked good as it began, then almost instantly turned into something else. It was another one that was so overtly Japanese, even down to the Kanji writing. It was too pointless to watch, so I skipped through it.

Akakiri was another horrible overly Japanese cartoon. I couldn't even bring myself to watch it.

Only The Duel and The Ninth Jedi would be worth a re-watch, and the latter only marginally so. The series was largely uninspired and cheap looking, and if it weren't for the wafer thin connection to Star Wars most of them would never have seen the light of day.

Overall Love, Death & Robots was a far better animated anthology series, with some jaw dropping artwork and better stories.

The Duel was visually interesting - apart from the First Order Stormtrooper helmets (!) But it was Star Wars re-imagined to the extreme with everything so overtly (Kurosawa) Japanese. The inexplicable bamboo hat thing on the droid, the lightsaber constantly ignited so it resembled a sheathed katana. Was that a beskar scabbard?

Tatooine Rhapsody was actually a more believable entry. The entertainment industry in Star Wars never did get much of a look in beyond the cantina and Jabba's house band.

The Twins was boring and silly. The graphics were as horrible as the constant exposition. It reminded me of an old He-Man cartoon.

The Village Bride was a little better. And then the Roger Rogers arrived. Ugh!

The Ninth Jedi was a lot better. Far into the future, with the universe having descended into a dark age, it felt very melancholic throughout.

T0-B1 was just horrendous. I skipped forward though this one to shorten the duration. :lol

The Elder was slow, boring, and visually bland. I also skipped through this one.

Lop & Ocho looked good as it began, then almost instantly turned into something else. It was another one that was so overtly Japanese, even down to the Kanji writing. It was too pointless to watch, so I skipped through it.

Akakiri was another horrible overly Japanese cartoon. I couldn't even bring myself to watch it.

Only The Duel and The Ninth Jedi would be worth a re-watch, and the latter only marginally so. The series was largely uninspired and cheap looking, and if it weren't for the wafer thin connection to Star Wars most of them would never have seen the light of day.

Overall Love, Death & Robots was a far better animated anthology series, with some jaw dropping artwork and better stories.
Roger Rogers improve everything.

Roger Rogers improve everything.

giphy.gif

:lol

The series was largely uninspired and cheap looking, and if it weren't for the wafer thin connection to Star Wars most of them would never have seen the light of day.

Absolutely.

In 1997 I was obsessed with anime, particularly Evangelion, to an unhealthy degree. If an anime Star Wars project had come out at that time, I'd have **** myself. Even if it was as lame as this.

I was so starved for the idea that I even bought all the rip-off overpriced Dark Horse "Star Wars Manga" comics, and those had truly awful art. They're such garbage, but I convinced myself I "NEEDED" them cause it was "Star Wars + Manga."

This was just lazy, awful, stupid trash. At least "The Animatrix" got some big names to do segments. These were embarrassing. But it's a perfect example of just how far the Star Wars brand and anime in general has fallen. Everything had a golden age, and it sure as hell isn't now.

Love, Death + Robots absolutely smoked this series in every way, especially the second season.

I wouldn't mind a continuation of some of those stories. These appear to be all new studios though I think.
The Ninth Jedi being the most deserving of a followup imo, would say its one of the best Star Wars things put to screen.

I’ve yet to watch Visions. Mostly because it’s not canon and I’m not really one for anime. Maybe one day I’ll burn through it quickly.

I’ve yet to watch Visions. Mostly because it’s not canon and I’m not really one for anime. Maybe one day I’ll burn through it quickly.
It’s soft canon, really. I think most of them are great, “The Ninth Jedi” is fantastic.

Season 2 isn’t just anime, it’s worldwide studios - even Wallace & Gromit studio is involved now.

You can finish it in an afternoon.

Give them a go. I tried. I got as far as half way through the 3rd episode before throwing in the towel. This stuff just isn't for me, but you might find you like it.

Back