1/6 Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - 1/6th scale Darth Vader 40th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious as to how the leather/pleather (whatever it's called) holds up over time? Has anyone had any cracking/crumbling issues with the first Empire version of Vader? I assume they used the same materials.
We're all doomed, these pleather suits are a ticking time bomb. First out will be us ANH owners, then, the cracking and peeling will slowly start to affect ESB suits… Might be 8 years from now, or earlier.

I'm curious as to how the leather/pleather (whatever it's called) holds up over time? Has anyone had any cracking/crumbling issues with the first Empire version of Vader? I assume they used the same materials.
No problem with mine so far. I gave him a bath with 303 Aerospace protectant last year. But after some years these pleather/faux leather suits might rot anyway, especially since HT pleather is lower quality than Sideshow. I have the first Vader Premium Format statue SSC have made (the one that is dueling with Obi) and his suit is like new.

My ANH Vader’s gloves are all flaking now. I’m just hoping the suit doesn’t start doing the same.

My ANH Vader’s gloves are all flaking now. I’m just hoping the suit doesn’t start doing the same.
Man, that stinks. Glad I was able to get a complete set of the v2 proper Tarkin ANH Vader gloves. Well, as long as the rest of him stays intact that is....

My ANH and ESB versions are fine. This issue is environmental, rather than a materials issue. I don't apply any protectant or any other preservative to any of my figures, and they are all fine. I've never experienced any sort of rotting/flaking issue on any figure I've owned.

My ANH and ESB versions are fine. This issue is environmental, rather than a materials issue. I don't apply any protectant or any other preservative to any of my figures, and they are all fine. I've never experienced any sort of rotting/flaking issue on any figure I've owned.
It’s definitely a materials issue as well. Pleather will peel overtime regardless of what type of environment it’s in.

The 303 protectant has been highly recommended as a precautionary treatment. I have not personally tried to use it yet. I do try to keep my hands clean when handling the figures in hopes to keep any acidic and corrosive finger prints off them.

I have non-1:6 pleather items from twenty years ago that have held up just fine with no special treatment. On the other hand, I've also seen accelerated degradation from well cared for poly coated fabrics.

Aside from neglect and abuse, I believe a superior product is capable of remaining stable for an extended period of time.

It's definitely not fun having a high end figure crumbling before your eyes on shelf. Sorry to hear that about your Vader @Cocoboloboy.

Have we seen any evidence that HT has made any attempts to address these issues? I know some things in a collection will be around for decades, others not so much.

The last thing I want to have is a case of HT collector's ptsd, but I am concerned enough that I've been avoiding certain figures that appear suspect of these issues.

Last edited:
Mine did as well. I used Angelus Black leather paint and that did the trick and restoring them. Mine weren't completely falling apart though. Just some spots around the edges. Just don't get the "matte" sealer thinking you'll get a matte finish. It's totally misnamed as it dries glossy. You have to buy the matte sealer and add in a few drops of their other product called "Dull" or "Duller" to... well... dull the gloss. It does work though and now my Vader's gloves look brand new and now they're sealed for extra protection.

The suit on the other hand is still in like-new condition and that's with taking the suit on and off a couple times trying out different bodies.

:lecture

Just have to remember to obey the first two rules of keeping a Mogwai:

1. Don't let pleather get wet. i.e., control the humidity.

2. Don't expose pleather to direct sunlight (or let it get too hot).

My figures with pleather don't get to see any sunlight or any ultraviolet lighting; and their room has the humidity controlled so it never rises above 55% RH.

The only damage I've had to pleather was due to user error - a tissue thin pleather jacket that got caught when closing the zip, and a Dragon flying jacket from circa 2000 that has cracks across the back because it spent the first part of its life in uncontrolled conditions, and the years since tossed into a box of clothes. I've actually tried to see how much more damage I could do to it by pulling the cracks apart, but the material simply stretches and returns leaving the cracks as they were before.

The only pleather that have deteriorated for me are thin stuff like straps. All my stuff is away from sunlight in cases.

It’s definitely a materials issue as well. Pleather will peel overtime regardless of what type of environment it’s in.
Exactly. After some years the pleather will peel no matter what. It depends on a series of factors (type of pleather, environment, humidity, heat, light etc.), but it is inevitable. With controlled heat and humidity, and some protection added to the pleather, will only slow down the process. In the end the figure can last for decades or just a few years.

Exactly. After some years the pleather will peel no matter what. It depends on a series of factors (type of pleather, environment, humidity, heat, light etc.), but it is inevitable. With controlled heat and humidity, and some protection added to the pleather, will only slow down the process. In the end the figure can last for decades or just a few years.

This doesn't make any sense. If your materials flake, and mine don't, how can it be a materials issue?

My HT ANH Vader is six years old at this point and shows no signs of deterioration ... Cocolocoboy said his gloves have already flaked away. If it were a materials issue, I'd reasonably expect that I would see some signs of deterioration after six years.

My RO Vader is still in tact as well

the only thing in my collection that seems to be flaking is my HT original DP version .the black pleather is cracking and flaking everywhere unfortunately..but I still have the DP2 version and that one is solid to this day

This doesn't make any sense. If your materials flake, and mine don't, how can it be a materials issue?

My HT ANH Vader is six years old at this point and shows no signs of deterioration ... Cocolocoboy said his gloves have already flaked away. If it were a materials issue, I'd reasonably expect that I would see some signs of deterioration after six years.
Please read my post again.

Pleather, faux-leather, degrades over time. More so than leather. The amount of peeling issues with all pleather-figures by Hot Toys, clearly shows they use a low grade material.

Please read my post again.

You agreed with a person who said it's a materials issue, then cited numerous environmental factors that accelerate the deterioration process, essentially refuting the argument that it was a materials issue.

I agree that pleather can peel, or deteriorate with age, but it's no different than any other material, even real leather changes as it ages. Paint will fade, cotton will break down over numerous washer/dryer cycles. Metal will rust. And yes, there are methods, or treatments, you can use to prolong the life of the figure, but none of that means that Hot Toys uses poor materials.

The reality is Hot Toys are sold worldwide and people across the world live in a variety of climates, and these climates have wildly different environmental factors that affect the aging process of these figures.

I’m not sure what you’re confused about. Pleather peels overtime regardless of what environment it’s in.

I own 3 ANH Vaders and none of them showing any signs of flaking on gloves, straps, nor suit. 2 are kept in the box and 1 displayed (Sealed and moisture proofed). I don't apply any leather protection.

While I agree pleather deteoriate overtime but I believe its all comes down to how you take care of the figure.

For the material to last in my point of view you need to ensure:
1) Not too much humidity/exposed to water
2) Ensure room is not too hot (especially during hot days) or exposed to sunlight
3) The number of times you handled the figure and not to use too much force.

The more you put a stress on the material e.g. stretch/twist will weaken it (so I usually pay more attention to this whenever I need to futz).
The edges of ANH Vader gloves believe it or not are the part that get touched the most.

Last edited:
Back