Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still can't believe that screenplay got approved. The third generation of Skywalker (Kylo) had just taken control of a burgeoning new Empire, and instead of explore all of those potential thematic consequences (in the concluding chapter of the *Skywalker* Saga), they instead went with unexplained resurrection, Sith Fleet, Dyad, Goonies dagger, and gave Adam Driver (their best actor, btw) literally one word of dialogue in the entire second half of the movie. :slap

The PT was about what happened when a powerful Skywalker selfishly couldn't accept not having control. The OT was about how the second generation of Skywalker avoided the same tragic fate by learning to selflessly refuse power and control because it comes at too great of an expense. If there had to be an ST, the central theme *should* be an extension of this thread. But nope.

Ben Solo, being the lone next generation of Skywalker, entered TROS caught right in the middle of two destinies: having a throne of power that his grandfather had tried but failed to attain, yet sacrificing his soul to sit upon it and haunted by memories. But why explore what this Skywalker does with all that power and conflict, or how he might choose a sacrifice that would validate the true Skywalker destiny, when they could just... Rey Skywalker? :thud:

Unlike most, I'll never hate the ST. Just its third episode.

You will know peace when you accept the truth: there is no ST.

Exactly. They really haven't concerned me except where it's been speculated that The Mandalorian is going to tie itself to them....which it may do, indeed may already have done.....but currently there's enough plausible deniability. The future is not set. There is no ST but what we make for ourselves.

Unlike most, I'll never hate the ST. Just its third episode.

Same here. But it's easier if you don't think too deeply about it.

Just three simple words:

somehow-palpatine-returned-somehow.gif

I will admit they needed a new supreme villain. Kylo was fatally flawed after not being able to bring himself to kill Rey *or* his mom.

On the plus side, TROS gave us Palps' Sith contingency as well as this scene, one of the best of the whole saga:

kylo-ren-rise-of-skywalker-1587391664.jpg

Same here. But it's easier if you don't think too deeply about it.

Just three simple words:

somehow-palpatine-returned-somehow.gif

I will admit they needed a new supreme villain. Kylo was fatally flawed after not being able to bring himself to kill Rey *or* his mom.

On the plus side, TROS gave us Palps' Sith contingency as well as this scene, one of the best of the whole saga:

kylo-ren-rise-of-skywalker-1587391664.jpg
Well... there's a difference between "don't think too deeply about it" and "you can't enjoy this unless you turn your brain off completely." Every single SW film asks us to buy in to various setups which are often built on flimsy logic, but TROS asks us to accept such a staggering amount of inconsistencies and contradictions that it crosses the line for me by a very wide margin.

ANH asks us to accept a series of crazy coincidences all along the way in order to keep the plot moving. ESB asks us to accept nonsensical battle tactics on Hoth and plot logic where Luke can navigate himself from Dagobah to a vague "city in the clouds" from his visions while Vader expects Luke to somehow just know exactly where in the entire galaxy Han would be and come rescue him from unknown danger. ROTJ asks us to accept the insane rescue plan at Jabba's palace and Imperial troops being overcome by Ewoks. All of these can be reconciled with reasonable justification stretches, but no other SW movie (out of the other ten) asks its audience to just stop thinking altogether the way TROS does. I have a very high threshold for SW nonsense (we kinda *have to*), but come on!

As for Kylo being "fatally flawed" and therefore needing a new supreme villain, that'll always remain a non-starter for me. He started his time as Supreme Leader by ordering an assault on the Crait base, with his mother inside it, under the conditions of "No quarter. No prisoners." He also ordered "Blow that piece of junk out of the sky" with Rey inside it. Even without that, a conflicted villain is a story asset in this case, not a liability. Being further corrupted by acquisition of new power and authority is exactly the thematic ground that SW was built on; especially if it also happens to be someone of Skywalker lineage whose extended descent would be explored. Palpatine's story, on the other hand, was already complete. Bringing him back could only undermine the impact of how it was completed in I-VI. And so it was.

I'm pulling this Vader comic, getting my copy each month, and I haven't actually read it in... a year? That's how much Disney has me caring about SW right now...

Handmaidens (and Vader) on speeder bikes! Battle droids on Republic gunships! Wat Tambor's grandson seeking revenge!

What more could anyone want?

37msVnS.jpg

Handmaidens (and Vader) on speeder bikes! Battle droids on Republic gunships! Wat Tambor's grandson seeking revenge!

37msVnS.jpg
I'd be tempted by a Sabe if they made her look like Keira Knightley. Then I'd get over my Hollywood crush from ages past and realise I don't need a 300$ dolly of a D-List character that I don't even have anywhere to put... I'd then concentrate all my efforts to force reality to give me a new Elizabeth Swann figure in an all-new PotC line!

But seriously, I don't know, I've been feeling SW burnout for some time now. I've gotten tired of the stories set in the same timeframes where we know how it all ends. It's such a waste of time, such a recycled set of ideas, that they make Big 2 comics feel like they "progress the story". I still buy it because it's Vader, but you get the point. I don't even have these new runs in Omnibus forms; I'm just buying the Legends stuff. A part of me is kind of glad about it though, as it limits my wants dolly-wise. It's the same as how I don't care what the MCU does, but have a specific list of characters and costumes based on the comics, so I can pick and choose without the need to buy movie-specific looks, teams or whatever else. SW is an ever-expanding universe, so being able to say that I stopped in the Legends era, makes things simpler.

37msVnS.jpg
I have this TPB on Kindle and obviously I need to get to steppin', this looks like some cant-miss action here. It looks like a lot of logic was used with this storyline, can't wait.

🤷‍♀️

Well... there's a difference between "don't think too deeply about it" and "you can't enjoy this unless you turn your brain off completely." Every single SW film asks us to buy in to various setups which are often built on flimsy logic, but TROS asks us to accept such a staggering amount of inconsistencies and contradictions that it crosses the line for me by a very wide margin.

ANH asks us to accept a series of crazy coincidences all along the way in order to keep the plot moving. ESB asks us to accept nonsensical battle tactics on Hoth and plot logic where Luke can navigate himself from Dagobah to a vague "city in the clouds" from his visions while Vader expects Luke to somehow just know exactly where in the entire galaxy Han would be and come rescue him from unknown danger. ROTJ asks us to accept the insane rescue plan at Jabba's palace and Imperial troops being overcome by Ewoks. All of these can be reconciled with reasonable justification stretches, but no other SW movie (out of the other ten) asks its audience to just stop thinking altogether the way TROS does. I have a very high threshold for SW nonsense (we kinda *have to*), but come on!

true.gif

Back