Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aotc.jpg

#ReleaseTheInappropriateCut

Last edited:
“I think it’s impossible for any of us to approach Star Wars without thinking about it as a myth that we were raised with, and how that myth, that story, baked itself into us and affected us,” Johnson explains. “The ultimate intent was not to strip away – the intent was to get to the basic, fundamental power of myth. And ultimately I hope the film is an affirmation of the power of the myth of Star Wars in our lives.”

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

“When I was up at bat, I really swung at the ball.”

That kinda epitomizes his failure with this movie to me, that it was all about doing whatever he felt like with no real consideration for the established lore/characters or what people might actually want to see in the movie. Like he would be the type of baseball player to swing wildly and strikeout when all he had to do was bunt to score in a run. I would say most directors these days still make their movies with the hope/intent that people will enjoy watching it but he just didn’t seem to care as long as it tickled his own fancy. It would be like a horror director not caring one bit if the audience thought their film was scary.

His whole thing about audiences wanting to be surprised and see things happen that subverts their expectations is quite the general assumption. Did a film like Mad Max Fury Road surprise me and subvert my expectations? Not really. I guess I was surprised by how amazing the action sequences were and how I was on the edge of my seat the whole time through. But otherwise the plot and characters still went in the direction I expected and made sense for what was set up in the film itself—and it’s still one of the best movies of the 21st Century!

I will say I still think the score and cinematography in TLJ are brilliant. But watching Knives Out when it came out a few years ago kinda solidified to me that he thinks he’s *way* more clever of a writer than he actually is.

Last edited:
Back