Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1/6th scale Darth Vader™ Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I POd Robocop and basic Tobey Spidey. I'm debating whether I should PO this Vader. Is it good "definitive" Vader if I'm planning to own just ONE 1/6 Vader figure or should I keep waiting? There's something about this particular Vader that really gets my attention.
Well, I have 15 days to decide. I thought about season 2 and the inevitable ROTJ version, along with any other anniversary edition of ANH and ESB. It sounds never ending with no definitive version in sight, just updated stuff with cool gimmicks and accessories. This is why I stay away from the SW and MCU 1/6 scale stuff. It'll never end.
Same situation here man - I'm (usually) a "one and done" collector and only want 1 "definitive" version of Vader in my collection, I have avoided the Star Wars Black Hole successfully so far, a while back I (with the helpful enabling advice of this forum :ROFLMAO: ) bought my first figure in this line of the Mandalorian and the Child deluxe pack and haven't gone deeper yet. Nevertheless I have been looking for a Vader to go with them as I like the character, love the design and think he is such an iconic character I want him in the collection - so I've also been looking for a definitive Vader.

So, naturally, I am the furthest possible thing from an expert, but if you want the opinion of someone in similar shoes to yourself who is a somewhat casual fan of the Star Wars universe I am happy to throw in my 2 cents.
I think I will pre-order the Deluxe package of this figure - it comes with both head sculpts which I really like as it has more options to allow me to display a classic Vader, I also really like the Battle-damaged sculpt because it gives a hint to the man beneath the armour without ditching the iconic helmet entirely like in ROTJ (and speaking for myself I think Vader doesn't look good, cool or intimidating in that scene - but more like a wounded Uncle Fester - not an option I want to display), the glimpse of his face we see in this figure looks especially evil which I love, Hayden Christiansen has portrayed Anakin/Vader longer than any other actor at this point (other than James Earl Jones' voice - but you can hardly capture that in 1/6!) and is in the canon considered the "true" man beneath the armour so I am happy to have his likeness be the one peeking through the armour, I really like the idea of the USB light-up effects, he comes with a fairly decent number of accessories including 2 pretty damn good looking bases (in my opinion).

Now I am not some die-hard fan who will notice if a very minor detail is from a certain film or not, to me most Vaders look pretty much the same unless I really study some pictures, but what I see here impresses me.
Does that make this a definitive Vader? Maybe, if like myself you want a Vader who represents the character in general, rather than one that characterizes a singular moment in time perfectly.
The problem is that I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect Vader and there never will be - because everyones idea of a perfect Vader differs, in fact the only thing I think most agree on is a real leather suit - which I doubt HT would ever make and if they did it would be years from now and cost a fortune and STILL would have something preventing it from being "perfect" in some die-hard Star Wars fans eyes.
So you may be waiting for not only a long time, but forever.
But that may just be me.
I think the USB lighting is of particular interest compared to previous Vaders. Should make it easier to dispay lit, which hasn't been a realistic option before with all those batteries and switches. And with the version that comes with additional standard clean parts, it can serve as both a fresh and a damaged display. The OWK armor itself is also a bit of a hybrid between ANH style and ESB/RotJ styles, making it a sort of amalgam of past Vader appearances, a middle point between existing Vaders. Not to mention the exposed face sculpt which also acknowledges Anakin underneath.

So as a figure that sort of represents all of Vader's history in one way or another, it's seemingly not a bad choice. But it depends on what you like. Would you prefer a Vader that strongly invokes one distinctive point in time, like a future RotJ Vader perhaps, or a Vader like this that is created to be more of a broad amalgam?

Many would consider a RotJ Vader with an unmasked head sculpt option to be the dream Vader. I don't think Hot Toys has released one in 1/6 yet. But it just depends on your preference. Personally I like the option of the battle damaged helmet, because it's a way to show both the face and the helmet simultaneously, rather than having to choose one or the other like you would with a RotJ Vader.
Completely agree with you mate.
I think when it comes to the OT, the only downside is the lack of accessories. Vader doesn't show his face until ROTJ, and I doubt most people would display Vader without the helmet using the ROTJ head. At least the OWK version has a cool battle-damaged head. Aside from the lightsaber, there aren't too many other accessories or even damaged parts in the OT. It seems that the best bang for your buck option might be the new Disney Vader. Thanks, I think I might PO this guy. He looks cool enough.
Also agree, OT Vader is going to be light on accessories and alternate looks aside from the Shaw helmetless look (which I do not like at all) which again is why I am drawn to this offering.

Dunno man, if you look carefully on the helmet's reflection on the blade, the LED is not even turned on?

It's Photoshopped
You guys are correct, definitely some photoshop. I saw some vids and his helmet and other areas did look shiny enough. I think with the right pose he could acheive something close. Will also need some accent lighting on the other side of the saber's reflection.

So, does the undamaged chest box have a light up feature? It’s for sure lit up in the promo photos, and the only “simulated light-up feature” disclaimer on those photos references the saber effect only.

I’m scratching my head on this because from the display piece presentation, that undamaged swap in box looks like a flat Velcro press on piece. I hope I’m just reading the visual wrong because light up belt boxes with non-light up chest box would be a serious bummer…

The saber is wired, the belt boxes are wired, so one must assume the chest box will be wired too.

But with the switch out ability on the deluxe, and with the “standard” version having only the dead box, having the chest box light up and be switchable on one one version, having a lighting option (especially with USB power) seems like it would be tricky engineering wise, and it would likely mean that each version would have to have a somewhat unique design.

This would appear to be the answer 😊:
C8191339-CCE3-4E94-8262-D16379F14EE6.jpeg

Shouldn’t the circle on Vaders belt buckle be all silver and not black? I know that’s being super nit picky but just something I happened to notice.

Also it would’ve been cool to see Palpatine as the “exclusive” Holo projector accessory instead of the GI.

Shouldn’t the circle on Vaders belt buckle be all silver and not black? I know that’s being super nit picky but just something I happened to notice.

Also it would’ve been cool to see Palpatine as the “exclusive” Holo projector accessory instead of the GI.
In person, it appears reflective. I kept walking back and forth and side-to-side and it wasn't necessarily all black.

There's quite a few things that are inaccurate about this Darth Vader though so no worry about being nit picky.

In person, it appears reflective. I kept walking back and forth and side-to-side and it wasn't necessarily all black.

There's quite a few things that are inaccurate about this Darth Vader though so no worry about being nit picky.

I can definitely be a nit picker so I’ve got nothing but respect for my fellow nit picky Star Wars fans.

But I personally don’t find it worthwhile to pick every nit on these figures and just enjoy them for what they are unless it’s a serious issue that’s not easily fixed.

I have lineage replicas for my screen accuracy fix.

No Vader Hot Toys has made so far is truly accurate (and this goes for most other characters to). They all miss something, big or small. Some of us wish to see HT being more interested in accuracy, but on the other hand we need to realize that their figures will sell, either way, no matter accuracy.

It actually is silver, it's just a different and more reflective material than the rest of the belt. So it's reflecting dark from this angle. From another angle it could be brighter.
Why is it different than the rest of the belt, I don't know. But it was the same way on older Vaders from Hot Toys as well.

I can definitely be a nit picker so I’ve got nothing but respect for my fellow nit picky Star Wars fans.

But I personally don’t find it worthwhile to pick every nit on these figures and just enjoy them for what they are unless it’s a serious issue that’s not easily fixed.

I have lineage replicas for my screen accuracy fix.
I agree, this will be an amazing piece to have in my collection. The Hayden Christensen head sculpt within the Vader helmet is what I wanted most and it came out extremely well.
No Vader Hot Toys has made so far is truly accurate (and this goes for most other characters to). They all miss something, big or small. Some of us wish to see HT being more interested in accuracy, but on the other hand we need to realize that their figures will sell, either way, no matter accuracy.
That's true. While I wish Hot Toys made the product more accurate to the content, I'm happier having it than not having it at all.

I'm with you on ROTS Vader, I really like the helmet and shoulder design. Fresh and shiny and as you said a different look.
Really hoping HT will make it.
I'm certain they'll do it for the anniversary in 2025. Even though I PO'd this Vader instantly (For £180 too!! Bargain!), I think I'll hold off on unboxing him just until I see what their ROTS Vader looks like. A full unmasked Hayden, freshly charred HS with the ROTS suit design would be the definitive Vader for me.

I buy most of my figures from Collectibles Direct UK and Vader’s just came up for pre-order on the site. Decisions, decisions. I’m tempted to wait until a couple of my pre-orders release early next year and get those reward points to use toward Vader. Hopefully he’ll still be available to pre-order by that time 🤔

It has the windows peak which isn’t esb accurate (and the aforementioned small chin vent). However, the helmet overall is a MUCH better shape than the ESB Vader. I would
much rather deal with those inaccuracies then the elongated face on ESB. Having said that, I was disappointed they didn’t give us a newly sculpted helmet. The new 3.75 inch hasbro Vader has a more accurate helmet than any of the hot toys figures and that is a shame.
I was hoping they would have shrunken down the 1/4 helmet:mad:

Back