Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol at people saying rey has a fighting style. I don’t remember palpatine swinging a lightsaber at mace like some crazed maniac. He was literally twirling in the air like a crazed maniac

JJ is an expert at creating intrigue and mystery.....but like many, fails to deliver answers to those ideas that can satisfy the majority. LOST was the perfect example of this.

While we got a great beginning to the new characters, Finn especially to me, we ended up with half answers that did not satisfy most fans. We can live with the answers, but the mystery promised more than could possible be delivered. Maz summed up JJ style best I’m her “ those answers are for another time” line.

I never assumed the new trilogy would somehow unite fans , or even please the majority of them.....at my age I just wanted to see more space wizards and Laser battles....... not gain some new religious meaning in a movie.
What an awesome idea a stormtrooper-turned-rebel was. And what a terrible delivery of that idea Finn was.

My favorite aspect was the stormtrooper who's never killed anyone, followed closely by the zero tension in terms of "can we trust this guy who was a stormtrooper last week?"

Plus he was far from being the first black Stormtrooper, lol.

79462.jpg
5HwNxCkehUZmoJsSSCs9ADvbKD6wMM0T_fNMoEnwpP4.png

Finn is one of the worst developed characters I have ever seen on film. JJ just didn't know what to do.
I agree they could’ve done so much more with him and he even says this in his complaint to Disney but I’m OK with that because my focus was on the main characters being Rey and Kylo and i’m more than pleased with how they turned out.

Him being a Jedi should have been explored more.

Plus you ST haters are nuts for thinking I’m going to hate Han, Luke and Leia lol

Last edited:
I was watching ESB again the other day and finally realized that they totally wasted that white protocol droid that got impaled on Hoth. Imagine what his story could have been and he didn't even appear on the Chinese poster. Film ruined, lol.

What an awesome idea a stormtrooper-turned-rebel was. And what a terrible delivery of that idea Finn was.

My favorite aspect was the stormtrooper who's never killed anyone, followed closely by the zero tension in terms of "can we trust this guy who was a stormtrooper last week?"
Yeah, it was a great idea... but then the very same Stormtrooper who couldn't handle the fighting and deaths, and actually couldn't bring himself to shoot, gleefully massacres the Stormtroopers who had been his companions for his entire life...

If I can live with Han, Fett, and Vader being wasted in ROTJ then I can sure as hell live with Finn being wasted in the ST, lol.
How was Vader or Han wasted?

ST wasted the OT, The New Republic, Episode 7, Episode 8, Episode 9, Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, Ackbar, C-3PO, R2-D2, Poe, Finn, Palpatine, Snoke, Kylo, Ben Solo, Anakin, Kenobi, Lando, Rose, Old Guy in TFA, new deisgns, new unique planets....

Wait, how was Vader wasted in ROTJ?
You mean you don't like his arc of redemption from ESB to ROTJ?
I'll let Gary Kurtz answer this one for me:

"The one story thread that got totally tossed out the window, which was really pretty important I think, was the one of Vader trying to convince Luke to join him to overthrow the Emperor. That together they had enough power that they could do that, and it wasn’t him saying I want to take over the world and be the evil leader, it was that transition. It was Vader saying, “I’m looking again at what I’ve done and where my life has gone and who I’ve served and, very much in the Samurai tradition, and saying if I can join forces with my son, who is just as strong as I am, that maybe we can make some amends.” So there was all of that going on in Jedi as well, that was supposed to go on. So the story was quite a bit more poignant and the ending was the coronation of Leia as the queen of what was left of her people, to take over the royal symbol. That meant she was then isolated from all of the rest and Luke went off then by himself. It was basically a kind of bittersweet ending. She’s not his sister that dropped in to wrap up everything neatly. His sister was someone else way over on the other side of the galaxy and she wasn’t going to show up until the next episode."

https://filmthreat.com/interviews/gary-kurtz-interview-the-original-star-wars-producer-speaks/
What they were setting up with ESB got totally thrown out the window when George got burned out and just wanted to wrap up the whole Saga in one movie which led to Vader being neutered and having his character suffer greatly as a result. I'm just glad that the ST moved things closer back to the road they envisioned when making ESB by having Luke go off by himself and having Rey be a stand in for the female twin on the other side of the galaxy that was originally supposed to be introduced in Episode VII.

I'll let Gary Kurtz answer this one for me:

"The one story thread that got totally tossed out the window, which was really pretty important I think, was the one of Vader trying to convince Luke to join him to overthrow the Emperor. That together they had enough power that they could do that, and it wasn’t him saying I want to take over the world and be the evil leader, it was that transition. It was Vader saying, “I’m looking again at what I’ve done and where my life has gone and who I’ve served and, very much in the Samurai tradition, and saying if I can join forces with my son, who is just as strong as I am, that maybe we can make some amends.” So there was all of that going on in Jedi as well, that was supposed to go on. So the story was quite a bit more poignant and the ending was the coronation of Leia as the queen of what was left of her people, to take over the royal symbol. That meant she was then isolated from all of the rest and Luke went off then by himself. It was basically a kind of bittersweet ending. She’s not his sister that dropped in to wrap up everything neatly. His sister was someone else way over on the other side of the galaxy and she wasn’t going to show up until the next episode."

https://filmthreat.com/interviews/gary-kurtz-interview-the-original-star-wars-producer-speaks/
What they were setting up with ESB got totally thrown out the window when George got burned out and just wanted to wrap up the whole Saga in one movie which led to Vader being neutered and having his character suffer greatly as a result. I'm just glad that the ST moved things closer back to the road they envisioned when making ESB by having Luke go off by himself and having Rey be a stand in for the female twin on the other side of the galaxy that was originally supposed to be introduced in Episode VII.
Sounds interesting, but to be honest, to have Vader want to become a good guy again just takes away from the tragedy of the character and takes away from his actual redemption IMHO.
I find it much more poignant that Vader realises that he's enslaved to the dark side and the Emperor because of the choices he made. And the fact that he wants Luke to help him overthrown the Emperor so that they can rule the galaxy keeps him evil, keeps him a villain, which makes his ultimate sacrifice to save his son much more powerful.
I think that a Vader moaning around to see if his son helps him kill the Big Bad Emperor because he can't do it alone is way ore of a neutering of the character...

Plus he was far from being the first black Stormtrooper, lol.

View attachment 528624View attachment 528625
Whoever said Finn was the first black stormtrooper? No one, that’s who.
The character’s race wasn’t written in to it.
The point is he was the first main character who was a stormtrooper turned good and it was a good idea that was poorly executed, like everything else in the sequel trilogy.

Sounds interesting, but to be honest, to have Vader want to become a good guy again just takes away from the tragedy of the character and takes away from his actual redemption IMHO.
I find it much more poignant that Vader realises that he's enslaved to the dark side and the Emperor because of the choices he made. And the fact that he wants Luke to help him overthrown the Emperor so that they can rule the galaxy keeps him evil, keeps him a villain, which makes his ultimate sacrifice to save his son much more powerful.
I think that a Vader moaning around to see if his son helps him kill the Big Bad Emperor because he can't do it alone is way ore of a neutering of the character...
Except ROTJ completely threw out the entire notion that Vader wanted to join forces with Luke to overthrow the Emperor. It literally made ESB Vader just another bullshitter like the prequels made Obi-Wan. And for what purpose? For him to mope around begrudgingly doing the Emperor's bidding while failing to hide his own thoughts of good from his son? That's not stronger than him continuing his purpose from ESB and wanting to take out the Emperor himself fully in control of his own destiny.

Last edited:
I'm used to what we got but I suppose if I was a bit older and had seen ESB then had to wait the three years I too might have been disappointed in Vader's final show.

I'm used to what we got but I suppose if I was a bit older and had seen ESB then had to wait the three years I too might have been disappointed in Vader's final show.
unnamed.jpg

Yes, this man gets it! :clap

Imagine witnessing the epic final moments of ESB on the big screen, being absolutely floored by Vader's pitch for Luke to join him that he pretty much repeated until the end credits rolled and then three long years later they FINALLY meet up only for Luke to say "okay we can take out the Emperor" and then Vader's all nah, never mind, I must obey my master...and then he freaking proves it by deflecting Luke's attack while Palps was totally defenseless. :slap

Like most I've accepted ROTJ for what it is but man, what a disappointing fulfilment of the promises of ESB. So if I can accept them blowing the perfect setup of ESB then yeah a random Stormtrooper side character that isn't remotely like any character that George ever envisioned that some people thought should have been the lead really doesn't upset me.

Actually I think I'd have to be about 15 years older than I am because I don't think a child me would really have thought about it much and would simply have lapped up the Jabba stuff, the space battle and the AT-STs.

Back