Star Wars concept art books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old book that I recently re-acquired. I already have it, but mine has a bad shape cover (a guy signing as B. Jones "took care" of it) - I got it like this many years ago for free from a friend together with many items, he bought it on a garage sale for $1.

Anyway decided I need to upgrade it with a brand new book (the old one will be donated) so here it is, a highly recommended book, not just for the cool Star Wars stories by Kevin J. Anderson, but also for the fantastic artwork by talented artists like Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Nilo Rodis Jamero and Mike Pangrazio.

I first intended to go for the hardcover version, but knowing the ultimate Ralph McQuarrie book is due to be published in 2016, I finally decided to save the extra money for that, and go for the softcover in this case (the old one was also softcover).

Book%20The%20Illustrated%20Star%20Wars%20Universe%2001.jpg

Book%20The%20Illustrated%20Star%20Wars%20Universe%2002.jpg

A masterful book from The Master himself :)

Very happy to have it in my collection also.

An old book that I recently re-acquired. I already have it, but mine has a bad shape cover (a guy signing as B. Jones "took care" of it) - I got it like this many years ago for free from a friend together with many items, he bought it on a garage sale for $1.

Anyway decided I need to upgrade it with a brand new book (the old one will be donated) so here it is, a highly recommended book, not just for the cool Star Wars stories by Kevin J. Anderson, but also for the fantastic artwork by talented artists like Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Nilo Rodis Jamero and Mike Pangrazio.

I first intended to go for the hardcover version, but knowing the ultimate Ralph McQuarrie book is due to be published in 2016, I finally decided to save the extra money for that, and go for the softcover in this case (the old one was also softcover).

Book%20The%20Illustrated%20Star%20Wars%20Universe%2001.jpg

Book%20The%20Illustrated%20Star%20Wars%20Universe%2002.jpg

The last Star Wars art book for now: Star Wars Storyboards - Original Trilogy. A beautiful big hardcover book (350 pages), with superb concept drawings of the 3 classic movies, presented in various styles depending on the talented artist involved in drawing them.

I love some of the early concept drawings, where Lucas didn't have the full story yet, and we have Luke as a girl, Bespin cloud city as Alderaan, and 3 Star Destroyers following the Rebel Blockade Runner, and even one Imperial ship being destroyed in that battle etc. A must have book for any SW fan.

Book%20Star%20Wars%20Storyboards%20OT%2001.jpg

Book%20Star%20Wars%20Storyboards%20OT%2002.jpg

Yup. Love that one to JKNO.

Here's my crazy bunch. Some gems, some mass market stuff.

IMG_0232_zpsnkaldjkm.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsbadektzb.jpg

Very cool!! :clap Which are your favs?

As you know I'm only interested in Original Trilogy, though I have a couple Prequels books strayed in my collection. For example I wish Sculpting a Galaxy (besides a better binding) to be about OT only. I passed on Frames on an excellent deal because I'd only want the OT book.

My favs....??? Damn. Too many to chose from. OT Chronicles (as you said) is simply amazing. Like you, I'm primarily OT with my collecting, but with books I grab it all - particularly the Making Of, Art Of, books.

As a kid I saved for the original OT Art Of books, so they have a special place.

Out of the newer stuff these days, most of it is fodder, but 365 Days is a gem. The Poster Book is great. Sounds of Star Wars is very cool to read (and hear). Costumes is also very cool.

But I guess the ones that I'm blown away by (because of my work) is Frames (pictured below with my large version of Blueprints) because I'm fascinated at what Lucas thought was a good frame.

Some are obvious, and others I think he must have been smoking some serious cones - but that's what's cool. When you're trying to tell a story through the frame, every millimetre of that frame should count in giving the viewer the exact feeling, emotion, understanding, etc to elevate it beyond "just a frame." You don't truly see how his brain worked until you see what he chose out of the entire 1,147,680 frames.

Fascinating and bizarre...

IMG_3778.jpg

Nice to see the "once in a generation game" The Last of Us in there too!

As far as "Art of" game books (not so much the games themselves) - these would be my pick of the bunch; The Order 1886 one is jaw-dropping in every aspect.

IMG_02331_zpsqposdhdw.jpg

The Last of Us art book is great. From my non-SW bunch there, I'd recommend Infinite Worlds, I got it as present last year. It is a history of sci-fi art, a superb book. And since I've seen you own The Winston Effect I also recommend Terminator Vault, a cool art book with very nice prop replicas inside.

Anyone have any of the Limited Edition "Star Wars: Art" series books? A sealed copy of Illustration just showed up at my doorstep yesterday, I'll post pics of it here when I get home. I can say it's very nice, and well worth what I paid (about 75% off of the $400 list price.) I wouldn't pay retail or even half off, but the presentation is very nice. Curious if anyone has some of the others, I'm interested in picking some of them up if I can find similar deals.

Edit: a bit slow but I added some now. The book comes in a protective clamshell, which in turn has a cardboard shipping box. First few pieces of art are actually signed prints included with the limited edition.

Back