Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad that I asked you to elaborate because this post really crystallizes some things for me that help me understand and appreciate your stance on Andor. If I perceived the tonal re-calibration in all the ways that you do, I'd probably feel just as cold about the show.

You see Andor's tone as departing stylistically from the DNA of Star Wars, not only by not having any of the lighter fare, but by going heavy on what SW used to avoid. I see Andor, on the other hand, as magnifying a facet of SW that was always there (sometimes even prominently) but never without eventually being balanced out and overshadowed by the "lighter" aspects.

As Khev alluded to a few posts earlier, many fans are irritated by ROTJ for going too silly, but if I were to describe for you how dark I interpret a major amount of that movie to be, I think you'd see why Andor's tone could never be perceived by me as much of a departure from *any* movie in the OT, much less the entirety of it.

By the way, I don't think anyone here would ever mistake you for being someone who dumps on something in order to get others to want to dump on it too. I was seeking to better understand your objections because I respect your opinion. As I stated, your response here made some things finally click for me, so I thank you for taking the time. :duff
a-dev now when he comes into this thread…

1669577872486.gif

Strange that people are trying to fit "tone" into some cohesive structure for all of Star Wars. I mean, the tone of the PT is all over the place compared to the OT in many ways... so is alot of Star Wars.

Andor is deeper, darker and more adult. Is it the OT tone? No. It's a different animal, a different place, a different story.

But real life isn't a consistent tone. Is it the same tone when you were drinking beers with your buddies at a frat party as it was when you're girlfriend dumped you... Certainly not. "Life" isn't one tone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange that people are trying to fit "tone" into some cohesive structure for all of Star Wars. I mean, the tone of the PT is all over the place compared to the OT in many ways... so is alot of Star Wars.

Andor is deeper, darker and more adult. Is it the OT tone? No. It's a different animal, a different place, a different story.

But real life isn't a consistent tone. Is it the same tone when you were drinking beers with your buddies at a frat party as it was when you're girlfriend dumped you... Certainly not. "Life" isn't one tone.
1669581041477.gif

What time is it in Ireland….

:chase

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I watched multiple episodes of this show at a time. Which is what I prefer to do unless it's something I don't want to get spoiled, which quite frankly today, is pretty much nothing. :lol

I watched the first 1-3, then 4-7, then 8-10, and finally 11-12. I really don't get all you guys' love for this show. It's not that I think it's bad or would say I don't like it, but I'm finding it hard to understand how you guys enjoy it so much. For me, it's kinda boring. Like try to stay awake and engaged boring. I like a slow burn with a good story and engaging characters, but that this is not. There are good moments, and the story itself is somewhat intriguing. But there's just so much snore fest. So many characters I could care less about. Even Andor himself. I only like Stellan Skarsgard's character (and I can't even type his character's name) and Mon Mothma. Great acting and believable characters. Andor himself puts me to sleep. He seems more of an idiot always complaining than some great importance to the rebellion.

I don't know... I just don't see anything great here. But I honestly feel like I will never have any desire to ever watch this show ever again. It's like Solo for me. It's just there. Unnecessary, but there....

Has BOBF and OWK (which I haven't watched) being sooo bad made you guys feel this is something it isn't? :dunno

Last edited:
So, I watched multiple episodes of this show at a time. Which is what I prefer to do unless it's something I don't want to get spoiled, which quite frankly today, is pretty much nothing. :lol

I watched the first 1-3, then 4-7, then 8-10, and finally 11-12. I really don't get all you guys' love for this show. It's not that I think it's bad or would say I don't like it, but I'm finding it hard to understand how you guys enjoy it so much. For me, it's kinda boring. Like try to stay awake and engaged boring. I like a slow burn with a good story and engaging characters, but that this is not. There are good moments, the story itself is somewhat intriguing. But there's just so much snore fest. So many characters I could care less about. Even Andor himself. I only like Stellan Skarsgard's character (and I can't even type his character's name) and Mon Mothma. Great acting and believable characters, Andor himself puts me to sleep. He seems more of an idiot always complaining than some great importance to the rebellion.

I don't know... I just don't see anything great here. But I honestly feel like I will never have any desire to ever watch this show ever again. It's like Solo for me. It's just there. Unnecessary, but there....

Has BOBF and OWK (which I haven't watched) being sooo bad made you guys feel this is something it isn't? :dunno
No, it's the ST.

They were so bad, and I had lost hope Disney could make anything good again.

ROTJ.... TPM.... AOTC.... ROTS.... TFA... all these over three decades had me thinking "why do I like Star Wars again?" Maybe it really is for kids?

Then RO came along and I perked up. Oh yeah, this is why... mostly...

Then... TLJ... TROS... and again, Star Wars had died.

Mando... oh wait, there's hope. This is some good ****.

Then... BOBF.... OWK... and I couldn't believe it was Obi-Wan that finally killed Star Wars for me. I'm done. I'm out.

I held out a little hope for Andor because Gilroy... and it was a pleasure to see Star Wars in a whole new way... and to have it finally stop going backwards into childish, amateurish junk-food for simpletons.

Yup, I thought nothing could be worse than the Ewok movies, BOBF, ST, and The Holiday Special, but OBK was a level of low I thought wasn't humanly possible. I'm sure if you look up the word "abhorrent" in the dictionary there would be a poster for OWK next to it.

Hand on my heart, I would prefer to watch The Holiday Special 1000 times again before suffering through one minute of OWK again. It was inconceivably baffling how poor it was.

And as Wor said, the more you remember/think about it, the worse it truly gets.

2 hour fan edit of Obi-Wan is Obi-Wandeful!
Tried watching it - like I tried watching that Last Jedi edit - but it was just to hard to separate it from the trash.

As the old saying goes; "You can't make strawberry jam out of frog ****."

I watched the first 1-3, then 4-7, then 8-10, and finally 11-12. I really don't get all you guys' love for this show. It's not that I think it's bad or would say I don't like it, but I'm finding it hard to understand how you guys enjoy it so much. For me, it's kinda boring. Like try to stay awake and engaged boring. I like a slow burn with a good story and engaging characters, but that this is not. There are good moments, and the story itself is somewhat intriguing. But there's just so much snore fest. So many characters I could care less about. Even Andor himself. I only like Stellan Skarsgard's character (and I can't even type his character's name) and Mon Mothma. Great acting and believable characters. Andor himself puts me to sleep. He seems more of an idiot always complaining than some great importance to the rebellion.

Nah. Different strokes. And you can come back to something months, years later and see differently. Or not.

For me, one thing I appreciate is the realism and "fine detail" shaping of Cassian's character. Watching his shell get chipped away. For instance his interchanges with Nemik. Superficially Cassian is interacting with a young offbeat character. Nothing spectacular. But this same character is incredibly intelligent, a true believer. He makes Cassian think. Ultimately, a sort of hardscrabble thief is shaped into a believer.

This show doesn't give relaxation moments either. Not so far. There isn't really a sense of triumph. Maybe survival and getting deeper into the hole in order to survive. It's not the kind of writing or characters for everyone. Like one of the heroes is a puppet master willing to sacrifice lives.

Andor himself puts me to sleep. He seems more of an idiot always complaining than some great importance to the rebellion.
He's not particularly likeable but his story remains interesting to me. He's not of great importance to the Rebellion ... yet. Just a thief and a con artist trying to get by. He doesn't even really cast his lot with the Rebellion until the final episode. I'm interested to see what they do with him in season 2.

Reading through the last few pages it's interesting the "debate" over Andor fitting with the OT or not.

For me, if you went through Ep 4 and edited out all the Imperial scenes (taking note of the scripting, acting, etc), and then inserted them into an Imperial scene from Andor, I think it would be absolutely seamless (other than the obvious production value, modern cinematography techniques, etc).

The dialogue between Tarkin and the rest of the Imperials at the table about The Emperor dissolving the senate, is very much on par with the Imperials in Andor. So by extension, the rest of Andor fits with that tone, dialogue, feel, and so on.

Same with Ep 5, and most Ep 6.
I don’t think it has to fit, really. The OT is from the perspective of the larger than life heroes of the rebellion on an epic adventure; whereas Andor is street level, showing the effects the Empires regime has on the little people.

I don’t think it has to fit, really. The OT is from the perspective of the larger than life heroes of the rebellion on an epic adventure; whereas Andor is street level, showing the effects the Empires regime has on the little people.
Agreed. All I was saying is that for me it doesn't feel that far removed from the OT (particularly ep 4) as some folks have been feeling.

Moving forward, my 'happy place" for SW will simply be Andor (hopefully season 2 is as fulfilling), and the "unspecialized" OT. Anything beyond that is a bonus :)

Agreed. All I was saying is that for me it doesn't feel that far removed from the OT (particularly ep 4) as some folks have been feeling.

Moving forward, my 'happy place" for SW will simply be Andor (hopefully season 2 is as fulfilling), and the "unspecialized" OT. Anything beyond that is a bonus :)
Yeah of course, I still think it fits in nicely; it's just a different perspective. The OT didn't show much of the Empire being truly evil apart from blowing up a planet, Andor shows how much of a grip they truly have over the galaxy and its people, and how that grip can be broken.

Back