Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very much enjoying this show. Loving the old school EU references creeping in and not like fan-wank "look at me" easter eggs, just moments that help build the world and move the story forward. It's also reminding me of the old EU books by James Lucerno, Karen Traviss and Matthew Stover...adding new characters, worlds and ways of living that augment the tried-n-true elements of SW that have been so abused by the other recent D+ entries.

Folks are complaining how slow it is...man, I'm not feeling that at all. That so-called slow pace is allowing time to soak in all that details, from the costumes that are recalling the best elements of Mollo and Biggar to the great settings and equipment. I am so ready for a walk-through video tour of Luthen's ship. So cool! Hitting on Coruscant on different angles was sheer heaven - the architecture was bold and stark and full of variety. Luthen's shop was great, every corner offering up a potential story. Mon Mothma's quarters were simply breathtaking. So many cultures combining in a look that helps define this woman.

So far, this show is demonstrating how great Star Wars can still be when smart thinking, careful planning and respect for the property come together in a considered and intelligent way by artists who not only manage to study the storied universe they're "playing" in, but have a willingness to enhance and build upon it.

I haven't felt this engaged in enjoying Star Wars content in years. Yes, Mando has had some fleeting good moments early on, but I fear it's getting overrun by stunt casting, easter egg hunts and the strange need to bring every past cartoon character to "life" at the expense of the lead character and his journey. That last trailer actually made me uneasy. From the flying Mandalorian Skittles to the MANY shots of doting dad with the "baby", the vibe was more shark-jumping "wouldn't it be cool?" moments than anything. Want to be wrong...I really do.

As for BOBF, yes, it had many flaws that have been well-trodden on these boards and elsewhere. Oh, the strange irony that the line of figures from the show have such effective design and are so well-rendered, they almost make the source material (the show) into an afterthought. As for Kenobi., what a heartbreaking mess. An idea that practically wrote itself ended up being skewered into a cheap looking, shoddy unwatchable slog. It breaks the heart of old fans everywhere...

Now the pendulum has swung back the other way. Now we have a show created by a self-professed "non-fan" that feels more sincere and well done that any of the previous drivel recently put out.

Can't wait to keep watching more of Andor's journey...

Jist saw ep4. They are really challenging the image of the Rebellion as well as the Empire. The Empire looks like the everyday life that we live daily while showing the Rebellion as the envious terrorists.

Jist saw ep4. They are really challenging the image of the Rebellion as well as the Empire. The Empire looks like the everyday life that we live daily while showing the Rebellion as the envious terrorists.
May takeaway, is that the Empire makes living in its main hubs wonderful for the elite. Yet just under the surface, you have people living not so comfortable lives. Then the further out you go, the worse it gets.

So yeah, it actually is like our everyday life. :D

May takeaway, is that the Empire makes living in its main hubs wonderful for the elite. Yet just under the surface, you have people living not so comfortable lives. Then the further out you go, the worse it gets.

So yeah, it actually is like our everyday life. :D
Exactly. The espionage feel of the storytelling is nuts. They picked the right director, the right characters and the right story.

Exactly. The espionage feel of the storytelling is nuts. They picked the right director, the right characters and the right story.
I also have to add, Mon Mothma was living a very comfortable life. It puts her sacrifice for the rebellion into perspective.

On the Empire's side, we're starting to see the culture of fear and "staying in one's lane" take hold which will set them up for failure later on. I also love that some people in the Empire aren't actually evil. Look at the corporate security guys for example. They're people who believed their cause was good.

Glad I am not the only one who feels like the show is so slow, sometimes even boring - with preparations for the heist it feels like remake of Solo. I will still see it, quality is good, but it should speed up the process, not do "the Andor killed somebody, left planet, joined rebellion" splashed into 8 episodes.

Btw who noticed recycling of the props from Halo there? The safety "curtains" on the window of main office E3.

I can appreciate a good story, but holy hell, that was boring.
Pretty much what I thought. And I like slow burns. I can see why better SW fans than me would like it. But no worries will be back for the next episode.

I am very much enjoying this show. Loving the old school EU references creeping in and not like fan-wank "look at me" easter eggs, just moments that help build the world and move the story forward. It's also reminding me of the old EU books by James Lucerno, Karen Traviss and Matthew Stover...adding new characters, worlds and ways of living that augment the tried-n-true elements of SW that have been so abused by the other recent D+ entries.

Folks are complaining how slow it is...man, I'm not feeling that at all. That so-called slow pace is allowing time to soak in all that details, from the costumes that are recalling the best elements of Mollo and Biggar to the great settings and equipment. I am so ready for a walk-through video tour of Luthen's ship. So cool! Hitting on Coruscant on different angles was sheer heaven - the architecture was bold and stark and full of variety. Luthen's shop was great, every corner offering up a potential story. Mon Mothma's quarters were simply breathtaking. So many cultures combining in a look that helps define this woman.

So far, this show is demonstrating how great Star Wars can still be when smart thinking, careful planning and respect for the property come together in a considered and intelligent way by artists who not only manage to study the storied universe they're "playing" in, but have a willingness to enhance and build upon it.

I haven't felt this engaged in enjoying Star Wars content in years. Yes, Mando has had some fleeting good moments early on, but I fear it's getting overrun by stunt casting, easter egg hunts and the strange need to bring every past cartoon character to "life" at the expense of the lead character and his journey. That last trailer actually made me uneasy. From the flying Mandalorian Skittles to the MANY shots of doting dad with the "baby", the vibe was more shark-jumping "wouldn't it be cool?" moments than anything. Want to be wrong...I really do.

As for BOBF, yes, it had many flaws that have been well-trodden on these boards and elsewhere. Oh, the strange irony that the line of figures from the show have such effective design and are so well-rendered, they almost make the source material (the show) into an afterthought. As for Kenobi., what a heartbreaking mess. An idea that practically wrote itself ended up being skewered into a cheap looking, shoddy unwatchable slog. It breaks the heart of old fans everywhere...

Now the pendulum has swung back the other way. Now we have a show created by a self-professed "non-fan" that feels more sincere and well done that any of the previous drivel recently put out.

Can't wait to keep watching more of Andor's journey...
Well said.
I'm loving this so far!
Last nights ep was awesome.
A lot of PT and TCW and Lucasart references!!
For me,seeing Mothma,and how she leads in the formation of the Rebellion,while dodging spies and Imps on Coruscant is what I'm here for.
Anything else is icing.
Her scenes with Luthian were great.
Also loving the Imperial scenes.
Am sure for all the slow burners out there,this show will heat up soon enough.

For me, it's not instant gratification, it's just writing/filmmaking 101 - if you can remove a scene and it has no impact on the story, then it doesn't need to be there - and it definitely feels like some of the Cassian/rebels scenes could be trimmed, deleted, or re-worked to include material that doesn't feel like it's going over the same ground.
I think it works pretty well, personally, but we also haven't seen the whole story so we don't know what comes into play later or not. Watching Prey some of the scenes could be chalked up as unncessary at first; until you reach the climax of the film and all of those things start coming into play and delivering a satisfying pay off.

I'll take this slow burn over the breakneck pace of OWK trying to cover the story in 6 episodes of pathetic length.

I still think this is good, but it needs to stop dragging it's feet a wee bit. Also too many british actors for my taste, needs more American accents. I got Blake's 7 vibes this week, which is a good thing.
It was shot it Britain, primarily with British actors, why would it have or need more American accents? Besides the main two characters have Latin & Swedish accents.

It was shot it Britain, primarily with British actors, why would it have or need more American accents? Besides the main two characters have Latin & Swedish accents.
Ahh that makes sense. It's just a personal thing. To me Star Wars has always been an American creation, so not having any American accents seems a bit off for some reason.

Ahh that makes sense. It's just a personal thing. To me Star Wars has always been an American creation, so not having any American accents seems a bit off for some reason.
That's funny to me, because I've always had strong associations between Star Wars and British accents -- thanks in part to Tarkin and Fisher's intermittent aristocratic accent in the beginning of ANH.

Back