Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

Captain_Trips

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Was anybody else checking their Disney+ setting to make sure there weren't supposed to be subtitles for the flashback scenes? Or just me? 😄
Probably everyone. There was a little too much dialogue to be left without subs. Still, it was quite easy to understand what was going on. The whole kid tribe thing reminded me of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdrome and Captain Walker.

Victοr

Completionism Is The Collection Killer
CF Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
I got around to watching all 3. It's fine. Nothing jumps out, really. Boring cinematography, style, even writing. It's not bad per se, it's just "fine". I don't care for any of the characters thus far, as they're all pretty stocky. It doesn't feel "Star Wars-y" but I don't have a problem with that, as the franchise/setting is huge and not everything should be the same. My issue is that I never cared much for the SW worldbuilding beyond the Jedi/Sith/Force, so I'm left cold. I could go for an Empire series, but I find the Rebel stuff utterly uninteresting. Though that's an issue of taste and which genres we lean on, not a fault of the show. On a technical level it's fine, it's just got nothing to write home about. I hope now that we're done with the scrap planet they'll move to better set pieces, or at least some Empire level politicking. For the time being, it's a "on background at 2.0x" show for me. But it's certainly an improvement over the dreadful nonsense that were Beta Fatt and the Reeva show.

davejames

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reaction score
Yeah have to admit I've gotten a little tired of the "early days of the Rebellion" thing after Rogue One, Solo, Obi-Wan, and 4 seasons of Rebels. It's like we get it already, we know what this is all leading to. Lol

I'd be much more interested at this point in following a group of Rebels fighting the Empire during the OT who are operating away from Han, Luke and Leia and having their own crazy adventures.

Last edited:

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reaction score
Star Wars -- Its all toxic family and daddy issues. Nothing new.

woke thanos.jpg

Mondragon

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
just a little confused about the dead republic officer comment when CIS symbols... not sure what is happening there
Yeah I thought the same thing! Wonder what's up with that.
Definitely more to that than they are letting on so far.
Why all the adults are dead,
And why Andors adopted "parents" were the first ones to arrive.

Wor-Gar

Torturer of OCD
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reaction score
Watch Episode 2 last night -- or, I should say, I watched the set-up episode for episode 3.

Yes, it is slow. Seems to be going nowhere at the moment. But I'm hanging in there. I know this will be a good show. It's already far and above any Boba shtick or Little-Leia antics. It doesn't rely on "awww so cute" moments to hide its emptiness. It proudly expounds its tediousness, and it does it very well. It's so realistic it seems boring. But is it? Maybe its not.

Slow burn? Gilroy hasn't even lit the match yet.

jaztermareal

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
The Democratic Peoples Republic of England
Definitely more to that than they are letting on so far.
Why all the adults are dead,
And why Andors adopted "parents" were the first ones to arrive.

if the gas was gonna ruin the planet and killed the occupants surely Cassian and his friends would have been effected by it. if it dissipates quickly enough to not harm them or the adoptive parents then surely it can't do much to the environment

Cocoboloboy

Coco the Cantankerous
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Reaction score
Finished Ep.3 Impressive. Quite the departure from the traditional SW feel for sure.

Ep.1 and 3 were outstanding in look and score. Ep. 2 scared me as it started to look and sound like the lesser quality Disney SW they’ve been churning out but I was happy to see Ep. 3 was back to Ep.1 form.

If TLJ is at the goofy end of the SW spectrum then Andor has easily got to be at the far serious side of that scale with R1 a couple steps below it. The best SW content for me is a good balance between the two which ESB hit with R1 second place in that regard. TFA also had a nice balance IMHO.

That being said if I had to choose one extreme or the other then give me all the serious SW you want and keep the 90% goofball SW for the cartoons and kiddos.

jaztermareal

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
The Democratic Peoples Republic of England
Finished Ep.3 Impressive. Quite the departure from the traditional SW feel for sure.

Ep.1 and 3 were outstanding in look and score. Ep. 2 scared me as it started to look and sound like the lesser quality Disney SW they’ve been churning out but I was happy to see Ep. 3 was back to Ep.1 form.

If TLJ is at the goofy end of the SW spectrum then Andor has easily got to be at the far serious side of that scale with R1 a couple steps below it. The best SW content for me is a good balance between the two which ESB hit with R1 second place in that regard. TFA also had a nice balance IMHO.

That being said if I had to choose one extreme or the other then give me all the serious SW you want and keep the 90% goofball SW for the cartoons and kiddos.
agree with almost all of that (except I thought TFA was bad on opening night). Gimme more serious, gritty, adult targeted Star Wars for live action. Cartoons aimed at kids can be silly and OTT

davejames

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Reaction score
Watch Episode 2 last night -- or, I should say, I watched the set-up episode for episode 3.

Yes, it is slow. Seems to be going nowhere at the moment. But I'm hanging in there. I know this will be a good show. It's already far and above any Boba shtick or Little-Leia antics. It doesn't rely on "awww so cute" moments to hide its emptiness. It proudly expounds its tediousness, and it does it very well. It's so realistic it seems boring. But is it? Maybe its not.

Slow burn? Gilroy hasn't even lit the match yet.
Yeah I'm not sure this qualifies as a "slow burn" like we got with Better Call Saul, where you're glued to the screen and every tiny thing that happens along the way. This does build up to something good in the third episode, but the buildup itself is pretty tedious and uninteresting to sit through.

Ramatuelle

Mod Bait
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Rama's Episode 1 great big, itty-bitty b.s. review:

[I doubt I'll have time to watch the other two this weekend - I'll get to it tho]

*Blade-Runner-esque red light?? district? 'Aight.
*More aliens casually interspersed with the human population. Cool.
*Dark and gritty: okay.
*Depictions of high social inequality and hardscrabble urban environment? let's do it.

All this is good. But there's one huge problem: I dont give a damn what happens to this Cassian guy. I came out of Mando ep. 1 highly invested in what happened next, I liked him and cared about him although he had not even shown us a face. I could not wait to see more.

I felt the same way about Vikings and Breaking Bad. I loved those shows, and they really strung you along, kept you emotionally attached.

I'll watch more of this, but I'm not emotionally invested at all.

jye4ever

STAR WARS
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Reaction score
So far Mando S1/S2 BLOW AWAY Andor and no amount of a mature new narrative style with Blade Runner aesthetics and sound effects is changing that for me.

I certainly don’t hate it like I did most of Obi-Wan and all of BOBF!