Star Wars: Andor (September 21st, 2022)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It feels like a show that should be compared to SW but not actually SW. When the SW bits take you out of the show it can't be SW.

For example hey describe Blade Runner or The Fifth Element or Starship Troopers (All movies/shows that have been compared to SW) -They are a little like SW and a little like this and a little like that but they are their own thing. Okay then describe Andor - well, it's a lot like Blade Runner but it literally has SW things in it that don't feel very much like SW because the tone of the show feels more like Blade Runner.

Yeah I'm starting to lose myself - but I think you get the point as I am echoing other opinions that have already been made.

In short, this would have probably been served better as a Blade Runner show lol.

Yeah, its about time Star Wars "smartened" up. Nothing wrong with it. A Star Wars story can be told in any number of genre styles. I mean, everyone was excited by the horror narrative aspect to Multiverse of Madness. I see nothing wrong with changing tone. Unless of course you like what you're being served and want more of the same.

At the moment, this show seems to have a very similar tone to Rogue One, which is still the best single thing to come out of Disney Wars.

Yeah, I have enjoyed growing up with SW being this serial inspired space opera that sparked the imagination and I am use to that tone. I am also very much a fan of the other movies I mentioned especially Blade Runner - and If it were to get a show I would like it to stick to the universe/tone that made me fall in love with it in the first place without repeating itself. I wouldn't want a goofy Lucas character in that universe.

I am more of a fan of Solo as a whole than Rogue One, although the second half is probably the best thing Disney has done. The Mando and Grogu characters/arc hold that show together.

Last edited:
I agree with you about tone within a series or a trilogy. But the universe has gotten so vast that I believe the only way to truly expand is with different stories and different tones.

Even Bond, whose universe is considerably smaller than SW, has changed its tone over the years, getting more humorous or more serious as the times changed.

I agree with you about tone within a series or a trilogy. But the universe has gotten so vast that I believe the only way to truly expand is with different stories and different tones.

Even Bond, whose universe is considerably smaller than SW, has changed its tone over the years, getting more humorous or more serious as the times changed.

I should probably confess that I never got into the EU for similar reasons as a lot of it just didn't feel like my SW head canon which admittedly was just the OT at the time. And then the prequels came and while very different, they still felt like Star Wars. (John Williams is Star Wars?) And then The Clone Wars came and expanded that era greatly. I guess "It feels like Star Wars" has been put on hold then.

Yeah, its about time Star Wars "smartened" up. Nothing wrong with it. A Star Wars story can be told in any number of genre styles. I mean, everyone was excited by the horror narrative aspect to Multiverse of Madness. I see nothing wrong with changing tone. Unless of course you like what you're being served and want more of the same.

At the moment, this show seems to have a very similar tone to Rogue One, which is still the best single thing to come out of Disney Wars.
The beauty of Star Wars is that the galaxy is so vast and diverse that essentially anything can happen and it can be anything.

Although to Disney this usually means butchering Legacy characters on Tatooine.

While I appreciated the Blade Runner style (also felt like Lucas’s first film 1971 THX 1138) I found it to be a complete snooze fest.

The narrative is pretty sloppy and everything to do with those kids was annoying lol and more importantly a waste of time.

A lot of wheel spinning for very little distance.

While I appreciated the Blade Runner style (also felt like Lucas’s first film 1971 THX 1138) I found it to be a complete snooze fest.

The narrative is pretty sloppy and everything to do with those kids was annoying lol and more importantly a waste of time.

A lot of wheel spinning for very little distance.

The flashback was definitely done a bit too much. It should have started with them at the ship and Cassian getting picked up. Then we can get to some actual scenes of his first time off planet if they help reflect current time Cassian.

It was very much a setting up the pieces type premiere, but if this is the mission statement for the show im on board I think.

Was anybody else checking their Disney+ setting to make sure there weren't supposed to be subtitles for the flashback scenes? Or just me? 😄
I had heard previously they did that and it seems to be more and more common not to use subtitles where appropriate - if you are telling a visual story and only a small portion is in a different language quite often there is no need for subtitles.

Was anybody else checking their Disney+ setting to make sure there weren't supposed to be subtitles for the flashback scenes? Or just me? 😄
Probably everyone. There was a little too much dialogue to be left without subs. Still, it was quite easy to understand what was going on. The whole kid tribe thing reminded me of Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdrome and Captain Walker.

I got around to watching all 3. It's fine. Nothing jumps out, really. Boring cinematography, style, even writing. It's not bad per se, it's just "fine". I don't care for any of the characters thus far, as they're all pretty stocky. It doesn't feel "Star Wars-y" but I don't have a problem with that, as the franchise/setting is huge and not everything should be the same. My issue is that I never cared much for the SW worldbuilding beyond the Jedi/Sith/Force, so I'm left cold. I could go for an Empire series, but I find the Rebel stuff utterly uninteresting. Though that's an issue of taste and which genres we lean on, not a fault of the show. On a technical level it's fine, it's just got nothing to write home about. I hope now that we're done with the scrap planet they'll move to better set pieces, or at least some Empire level politicking. For the time being, it's a "on background at 2.0x" show for me. But it's certainly an improvement over the dreadful nonsense that were Beta Fatt and the Reeva show.

Back