Star trek: Strange new worlds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't either. I never cared about PIke BUT, this show has won me over.

I only meant to point out that it's interesting to see the diverse reactions. Trying to give the fans "what they want" is a nightmare, and usually doesn't lead to something as good as Strange New Worlds.
He!! yes. This may be the best first season of a Star Trek since TOS (although Discovery S1 was no slouch). They've found a good formula of familiar characters or relations of characters and new ones that you instantly can roll with. Also, good episodic stories (except for Episode 8) and mini-arcs within the same season. Also liking the use of the Gorn as a big baddie instead of the same-ol-same-ol Klingon or Romulans.

The season finale was really cool and I loved all the callbacks and easter eggs to...
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm really looking forward to season two. :rock
This was so good!

Spoiler Spoiler:

Good way to complete the season, with a nod to a TOS episode! Not sure I like a certain casting choice but...I can roll with it. Looking forward to Season 2, whenever that is.

This show has given me hope for ST again. Discovery & Picard are unwatchable to me - just awful on every level. I tuned into this show with VERY low expectations and by the end of the season, I'm hooked. Great performances (especially Mount) beautiful production and solid writing. This show feels like it's being produced by actual ST fans instead of people out to deconstruct and ignore what came before like Discovery and Picard are.

The recent SW shows could take a lesson from the SNW team on how to do legacy characters with thoughtfulness and respect, callbacks that aren't gratuitous but instead fun and well done and introducing new ideas and characters with balance and good integration into the story along with strong writing and direction.

ST:SNW is everything Kenobi WASN'T. As a SW fan, that thought is a little heartbreaking, but I'm glad to have decent ST to watch and enjoy again. Bring on season 2!

Very much enjoyed that finale. Don't think it needed the cliffhanger at the very end though - that particular story thread didn't have anything to do with what we'd just watched and could easily have waited till next season. What had been a cinematic Star Trek production became just another 'episode' by doing that IMO. Minor nitpick.

I thought the first seven episodes were very average, faring only a little better than Discovery or Picard.

The eighth was downright awful.

By the ninth episode it was as though the floundering writers were desperately looking for inspiration, and decided to 'borrow' the plot of Aliens.

This was the episode where the series finally showed any promise. Characters who'd been joking their way through dire situations as though nothing really mattered were now being taken more seriously by the writers. Even though it was merely a retelling of Aliens it was the best episode of the series.

The tenth was good, and maybe an indication that the team had hit their stride in preparation for season 2.

Nevertheless, Star Trek ended for me when the real Kirk hung up his uniform prematurely in 1991.

This show has given me hope for ST again. Discovery & Picard are unwatchable to me - just awful on every level. I tuned into this show with VERY low expectations and by the end of the season, I'm hooked. Great performances (especially Mount) beautiful production and solid writing. This show feels like it's being produced by actual ST fans instead of people out to deconstruct and ignore what came before like Discovery and Picard are.

The recent SW shows could take a lesson from the SNW team on how to do legacy characters with thoughtfulness and respect, callbacks that aren't gratuitous but instead fun and well done and introducing new ideas and characters with balance and good integration into the story along with strong writing and direction.

ST:SNW is everything Kenobi WASN'T. As a SW fan, that thought is a little heartbreaking, but I'm glad to have decent ST to watch and enjoy again. Bring on season 2!
I agree Discovery is too worried about characters sexual preferences and their feelings and like a day time soap . Picard started good but fell of fast season with boring story line . Discovery is by far the best star trek in years . As far as star wars shows on Disney I was pleasantly surprised how good they are .

Very much enjoyed that finale. Don't think it needed the cliffhanger at the very end though - that particular story thread didn't have anything to do with what we'd just watched and could easily have waited till next season. What had been a cinematic Star Trek production became just another 'episode' by doing that IMO. Minor nitpick.
While it didn't ruin anything for me in the season finale, I do agree that the cliffhanger could have waited until next season. Perhaps as a midseason nail-biter.

Nevertheless, Star Trek ended for me when the real Kirk hung up his uniform prematurely in 1991.
angry-frustration.gif

ASTAAAAA!!

Discovery was weirdly intriguing when it began, but got loopier as it went on. It finally ended up like a continual therapy session for the characters.

Star Trek was on the way down as soon as they put a counsellor on the bridge in TNG.

Picard had the advantage of doing the fish out of water thing by sending them into the past in the second season. But Patrick Stewart looked and sounded so old it was uneasy to watch, and the show ended up being as gushy as Discovery.

Modernising the Enterprise in Discovery and SNW to meet contemporary expectations is always off-putting. Crusty old Trek is the best Trek.

While it didn't ruin anything for me in the season finale, I do agree that the cliffhanger could have waited until next season. Perhaps as a midseason nail-biter.
Exactly. It didn't ruin anything and it wasn't my intention to suggest that it did. It just felt tacked on and disrupted a nice flow of scenes that wrapped up the content of this episode and Pike's arc this season. It could easily have waited.

I thought everything else was great.

Crusty old Trek is the best Trek.
Excited-Star-Trek-Fan-Kenan-Thompson.gif

*Crusty old ST fans approve* :monkey3
Exactly. It didn't ruin anything and it wasn't my intention to suggest that it did. It just felt tacked on and disrupted a nice flow of scenes that wrapped up the content of this episode and Pike's arc this season. It could easily have waited.

I thought everything else was great.
We already got an explanation of the character's situation and I was expecting something for next season but we got it at the very end.

Back