Star trek: Strange new worlds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oof this one hurt lol.... In less than 1 season I already care more for this crew than I did with 4 seasons of Discovery and 2 of Picard.

I'd honestly prefer if it was a full reboot/remake of Trek - its own thing, inspired by but totally unconnected to the rest. Because it is good and perhaps deserves to be unrestrained by canon - and then they could go ahead and have their new Kirk and do whatever they want. It would totally free me up to enjoy it rather than wondering why this event/character was never mentioned in chronologically later Trek or why the ships and technology are more advanced etc etc.
It's kind of ironic, since for decades there's been clamoring among fans for a series about Pike. Now we finally have it, it's very very good, and there are people saying "Yeah, but maybe it should just be its own thing."

Which would kind of defeat the purpose of doing a series about Pike.

Just goes to show you can't please everyone.

I was never one of those people but OK.
I wasn't either. I never cared about PIke BUT, this show has won me over.

I only meant to point out that it's interesting to see the diverse reactions. Trying to give the fans "what they want" is a nightmare, and usually doesn't lead to something as good as Strange New Worlds.

Ok I will nitpick...

1. Why didn't La'an say anything about when Hemmer got sprayed? It looks like she knew what that was. M'Benga could have done somehting.
2. We spent 3 episodes showing how M'Benga saved his daughter by keeping her in the pattern buffer. It's a missed opportunity here to connect those episodes to this one by using the pattern buffers to save Hemmer.

Ok I will nitpick...

1. Why didn't La'an say anything about when Hemmer got sprayed? It looks like she knew what that was. M'Benga could have done somehting.
2. We spent 3 episodes showing how M'Benga saved his daughter by keeping her in the pattern buffer. It's a missed opportunity here to connect those episodes to this one by using the pattern buffers to save Hemmer.

1. I'm betting La'an did not have any idea. I imagine there are more ways the Gorn breed than just asexually.
2. Hemmer said himself it was happening very quickly. He said, given more time, they probably could cure him, but they didn't have time. There was no working transporter buffer to put him in. A decision had to be made right then, and Hemmer made it.

It's a testament to the writers/directors that they can make an Alien rip-off (homage) episode and still make it entertaining and have it carry an emotional punch.

1. I'm betting La'an did not have any idea. I imagine there are more ways the Gorn breed than just asexually.
2. Hemmer said himself it was happening very quickly. He said, given more time, they probably could cure him, but they didn't have time. There was no working transporter buffer to put him in. A decision had to be made right then, and Hemmer made it.

The way she said it though:

"The spray, it's more than a venom. It's how they reproduce."

The wording implies she knew, and it would make sense that she knew because of how her past experience with the Gorn.

It's a testament to the writers/directors that they can make an Alien rip-off (homage) episode and still make it entertaining and have it carry an emotional punch.

Yes, they managed to make a better Alien and Predator story than the people who are actually trying to make an Alien or Predator movie. :lol

The way she said it though:

"The spray, it's more than a venom. It's how they reproduce."

The wording implies she knew, and it would make sense that she knew because of how her past experience with the Gorn.
An argument can be made that she quickly deduced that was another way, besides asexually, they reproduced with all the evidence they gathered.

That's how I see it anyway.

I wasn't either. I never cared about PIke BUT, this show has won me over.

I only meant to point out that it's interesting to see the diverse reactions. Trying to give the fans "what they want" is a nightmare, and usually doesn't lead to something as good as Strange New Worlds.
Further to my earlier post you quoted - for me it's not merely cynicism about nu-Trek - I never liked Star Trek Enterprise. And it was because it was a prequel. That's the core problem I have. Inevitably prequels in the sci-fi genre run into problems where of course because they're made with today's production values they end up looking and actually being more futuristic than the shows that came out in the 60s and then the 80s and 90s. Add in things like certain Alien races all of a sudden looking completely different than they used to (the Klingons as of Abrams movies and Discovery), the necessity of recasting classic characters (Abrams movies, Discovery, SNW), inconsistency of portrayal and writing and so on - there's too much scope for pissing people off.

Along comes a show like this and it's actually good in its own right - and I do love the heightened production values - the special effects are fantastic, the sets and lighting are terrific and the incidental music is much better than the droney crap they used to have in TNG, DS9 and Voyager (with occasional exceptions where there'd be a good drama or action composition). The characters are mostly great....yet I still approach the show with trepidation with every episode - preparing myself for what previous canon they're going to contradict or retcon, what tech they're going to use that sure woulda come in handy in chronologically later Star Trek but seemingly won't exist anymore, what character relationships will seem like a big thing here but will never be referenced again etc etc

This problem of mine would be entirely eliminated if they separated SNW (and Discovery) from all past Star Trek. Perhaps it's not too late to do that. Just call it a remake. I know that was once a very unpopular, uncool term but SNW is building a lot of goodwill. The thing is I think it deserves to be unbound by canon. I think its potential is constrained by canon. I'd like to see the show be inspired by the past of Star Trek but not constantly having to defer to it, to take what's really working here and build organically on it without having to arbitrarily reset to the status quo of TOS.

Last edited:
Further to my earlier post you quoted - for me it's not merely cynicism about nu-Trek - I never liked Star Trek Enterprise. And it was because it was a prequel. That's the core problem I have. Inevitably prequels in the sci-fi genre run into problems where of course because they're made with today's production values they end up looking and actually being more futuristic than the shows that came out in the 60s and then the 80s and 90s. Add in things like certain Alien races all of a sudden looking completely different than they used to (the Klingons as of Abrams movies and Discovery), the necessity of recasting classic characters (Abrams movies, Discovery, SNW), inconsistency of portrayal and writing and so on - there's too much scope for pissing people off.

Along comes a show like this and it's actually good in its own right - and I do love the heightened production values - the special effects are fantastic, the sets and lighting are terrific and the incidental music is much better than the droney crap they used to have in TNG, DS9 and Voyager (with occasional exceptions where there'd be a good drama or action composition). The characters are mostly great....yet I still approach the show with trepidation with every episode - preparing myself for what previous canon they're going to contradict or retcon, what tech they're going to use that sure woulda come in handy in chronologically later Star Trek but seemingly won't exist anymore, what character relationships will seem like a big thing here but will never be referenced again etc etc

This problem of mine would be entirely eliminated if they separated SNW (and Discovery) from all past Star Trek. Perhaps it's not too late to do that. Just call it a remake. I know that was once a very unpopular, uncool term but SNW is building a lot of goodwill. The thing is I think it deserves to be unbound by canon. I think its potential is constrained by canon. I'd like to see the show be inspired by the past of Star Trek but not constantly having to defer to it, to take what's really working here and build organically on it without having to arbitrarily reset to the status quo of TOS.
I have a feeling they might go alternate-universe with this... as in they enter some black hole or another type of space-time anomaly in order to create an alternate reality where Pike and his crew continue their adventures, because they are taking an awful lot of time developing Pike's moral dilemma with his terrible fate (Number 1 keeps alluding that his destiny is his own to make), and building Spock and Chapel's relationship. I mean, both stories make for great drama knowing how it all ends in TOS, really tragic stuff, but if you have the possibility of creating a split where a version of the crew just goes on... why not? On the other hand, you've got ten years worth of story-time to play with, so there no real hurry. Although the Spock/Chapel dilemma might get a bit stale after a while.

Back