Star Trek: Picard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good episode. I don't like Vadic though. Too showy, too grandstanding.

LeVar did some great work, and that character's cameo would have been more of a surprise had the official Trek Facebook page not ruined it this morning.
That’s why I stay away from social media till I can watch it.

Every episode has a moment were it feels like we've hit the end for the week... and then it keeps going for maybe 10 more minutes. Not this week though. We hit that spot and it actually ended, and I'm left thinking:

I very much enjoyed that one.

Loving to see the TNG crew properly engaging with DS9's Dominion War and its aftermath - as opposed to the minor references from Star Trek Insurrection that only made you wonder why the Flagship of the Federation wasn't right in the thick of it.

Loving the return of Lore.

Loving that this season of Picard has just brought the Data/Geordi friendship back to the fore, which I always felt was pretty much forgotten about in the movies in favour of the Data/Picard dynamic.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I very much enjoyed that one.

Loving to see the TNG crew properly engaging with DS9's Dominion War and its aftermath - as opposed to the minor references from Star Trek Insurrection that only made you wonder why the Flagship of the Federation wasn't right in the thick of it.

Loving the return of Lore.

Loving that this season of Picard has just brought the Data/Geordi friendship back to the fore, which I always felt was pretty much forgotten about in the movies in favour of the Data/Picard dynamic.

Spoiler Spoiler:
God... They better not have
Spoiler Spoiler:

God... They better not have
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Yeah I am hoping that is the case.

Spoiler Spoiler:

So this weeks started off with a BANG. Another surprise visit from a known character. But then the the rest of the episode didn’t live up to the beginning.

Not saying todays was bad. It was still good. Moved the plot along revealed some things but it wasn’t an improvement over the previous weeks like the other episodes were doing for the last several weeks.

Some good emotional beats this week and emotional closure for some characters.

If the other episodes were all 9s and 10s. Todays was more like a 8. Although that opening was a 10 for sure.
I agree, the first 6 minutes were intense then it throttled back a bit. I’ll take the Tuvok cameo (Russ still has it) but Miles O’Brien or Reginald Barclay would’ve been more TNG-ish.

The whole situation with Jack is becoming more complex, I hope there’s a well written payoff at the end of this mystery box. He’s now a telepath with the ability to influence others (the fight scene with Sidney). I don’t want some cop out that he’s not really Crusher’s and Picard’s son. Data had said that there was an “anonymous form” inside Picard’s body, is this Borg influence? Anything else would’ve presented itself during his time on the Enterprise.

We learned a little more about Vadic’s backstory but nothing about the real motive and who is behind it.

With three episodes to go they have a lot to cover. This weeks episode was the shortest of the lot and it felt like it too.

Yeah I am hoping that is the case.

Spoiler Spoiler:
I think the Voyager-B is already around in this period according to the newsfeed we saw a few episodes back. It also mentioned the Enterprise-F being decommissioned.

The rate they go through ships now is a little bizarre, there are such things as refits. In TNG, the ships were designed to have a 100 year lifespan with refits.

I think the Voyager-B is already around in this period according to the newsfeed we saw a few episodes back. It also mentioned the Enterprise-F being decommissioned.

The rate they go through ships now is a little bizarre, there are such things as refits. In TNG, the ships were designed to have a 100 year lifespan with refits.
I think the ships being retired early could be due to the whole conspiracy in the background. The new ships are supposedly networked to each other. Maybe Voy-A and Ent-F are both still disconnected.

But this is just me wanting to see the Pathfinder (this used to be my primary ship in STO) and Odyssey class in live action. I'm especially curious what they'd do with the Odyssey bridge.

I am still enjoying the show, but....I'm starting to get the vibe that it's going to end up doing what a lot of Trek used to do back in the day.
Exposition, exposition, exposition....what? Only 15 minutes left? Time to wrap it up!

Seriously though...they have a lot going on here and with only three episodes left, I'm hoping the build-up starts turning into pay-off next week. Otherwise, some of these story threads could end up being wrapped so fast that they may not be that great. Want to be wrong and trust this creative crew putting this together. They've been making this really good so far. The main thing I'm enjoying is just how great the cast has been with their scenes. Even the so-called background characters on the bridge are bringing it and feel more substantial than anything in the other modern "Trek" shows. It's been great.

With this week, I felt like we were seeing some threads that could lead into some cool storylines for that "section 31" show that has been bandied about. Then I remembered that one is going to a more Kurtzman dreck. More crying and more pronouns. Oh well. That "section 31" vibe also made me wonder...could we get a "Bashir" cameo at some point? The genetically enhanced brilliant doctor who attracted the interest of Section 31 way back when could certainly have been drawn into those nasty science projects that were going on. Just a thought...

I'm also hoping that the mystery surrounding Jack has a worthy resolution. Lots still going on in this show to keep the interest!

With how often they keep name-dropping Janeway this season, there's no way she's not showing up at some point.

I just wish we could get a freakin DS9 cameo given that this is basically a continuation of that show's main storyline.

So this weeks started off with a BANG. Another surprise visit from a known character. But then the the rest of the episode didn’t live up to the beginning.

Not saying todays was bad. It was still good. Moved the plot along revealed some things but it wasn’t an improvement over the previous weeks like the other episodes were doing for the last several weeks.

Some good emotional beats this week and emotional closure for some characters.

If the other episodes were all 9s and 10s. Todays was more like a 8. Although that opening was a 10 for sure.

Yeah - agreed.

Star Trek: 90210 announced with Kurtzman as showrunner… I guess they didn’t learn after all.

How this got green lit over Matalas’ Star Trek: Legacy is baffling.

https://ca.startrek.com/news/new-series-star-trek-starfleet-academy
st_academy_anno_b-3.30.23-01.jpg

st_academy_anno_b-3.30.23-02.jpg
This was the in the works for a few years now.

First Contact Day is coming up. Maybe we will get a Matalas announcment. But even if we did it will be a couple years. He’s deep into running Witch Mountain Over at Disney +

This was the in the works for a few years now.

First Contact Day is coming up. Maybe we will get a Matalas announcment. But even if we did it will be a couple years. He’s deep into running Witch Mountain Over at Disney +
I know this and Section 31 have been in discussion for a while now. The Academy show, if you put any weight in the various YouTube critics/commentators, has apparently been shot down more than once. Maybe Picard S3 success swayed them.

With Paramount announcing that they are scaling back streaming spend in 2024, it’s questionable to give this a green light - I don’t see fan outcry for this content. It’s rumoured to take place in the Discovery timeline so it’ll likely carry the same hyper emotional, modern day social tone.

If Picard S3 has shown anything it’s that the majority of the fan base wants a series set in the 25th century that builds on the stories and characters of the past while introducing new ones.

Even if Matalas isn’t available, there’s literally a bountiful opportunity of storytelling between the period of The Undiscovered Country and Encounter at Farpoint though I doubt they would get it right.

You could be right with more announcements, we’ll see!

Yeah, even as someone who likes DSC I have a hard time getting excited for a Starfleet Academy series set in that time period. As their 32nd century world just feels so ill-defined and uninteresting (with the biggest threat apparently being Orion pirates), compared to the much more established 23rd-25th century. And I still have a hard time taking the whole "Burn" storyline seriously (the entire Federation collapsing because some alien caused all the dilithium in the galaxy to explode at once? Really??), so it's hard for me to get excited at the idea of following up on that in any way.

I figured Starfleet Academy would be set in the Discovery timeline, Tully will surely be I that series with her move off of Discovery last season.

I just want a show that continues on from Picard with Seven as Captain and Admiral Janeway also being involved.

I figured Starfleet Academy would be set in the Discovery timeline, Tully will surely be I that series with her move off of Discovery last season.

I just want a show that continues on from Picard with Seven as Captain and Admiral Janeway also being involved.
Much like with the Pike series, the demand for a Seven/Titan series has been so loud and constant I think it's probably inevitable by this point. It's just a matter of when they announce.

This 3rd season of Picard, as it has villains from DS9, cameos from iconic ships, characters from Voyager, to me really feels like, not just a fairwell to TNG, but a fairwell to an entire era of Trek that was so beloved to fans.
And to me personally, a fairwell to Star Trek itself.
The latest news just confirms they haven't learnt a thing and it's business as usual. Straight back to Kurtzman Trek.
This last season of Picard is bittersweet to me. A great season, a goodbye to it all.

Back