Star Trek Figures -- Playmates, Diamond Select, Etc.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BOP from Diamond is an incredibly flawed release. I had nothing but problems with trying to get a halfway decent ship:

I need some info from people who own the Diamond Klingon Bird of Prey.
I just got my third Diamond BOP as the first two had issues, this one's disruptors started to flicker and dim to barely being lit. The intensity of the light is barely noticeable now. all the other lights look fine. I replaced the batteries with new ones and this does nothing to fix the issue.
Does anyone who has the ship have the same issue now or when they first got their ship?

The first one's left disruptor was split along the seam and let a ton of green light spew out, the second one's right wing was screwed up and wouldn't lock into position and just flopped around like crazy, now this one's disruptor's green lights have dimmed to nothing. The first two ships had very bright green disruptor lights that didn't flicker at all.

I've never heard of anyone having issues like these with theirs, just wanted to know if the dimmed flickering lights are common or not and if anyone might know what the issue is?

A bit of a followup on my Diamond select BOP debacle, I left the lights on #3 for half an hour and then the Disruptor lights stopped working almost entirely. So I sent #3 back to Amazon. #4 arrived and the lights, sound and wing pivots worked just fine, but the baffles (shoulders of the wings) where they attach to the fuselage moved a lot, so much that I was afraid they might break off the ship. Rather then send #4 back for a fifth one, I decided to fix this one myself.

Here's a rundown on how to fix this issue for anyone who's experiencing the same:
The screws to take the fuselage apart are located two under the neck (the plastic tube covering these easily just pulls away from the neck), two under the batteries in the battery compartment, and two in the underside rear covered by screw covers. The screw covers were removed by drilling a tiny hole in the center then inserting a paperclip and prying them off. This should only leave a tiny hole when you're done and can be filled and repainted easily, the screw covers are long and not glued in place.
But the lower half of the fuselage will not come off entirely, it's still secured in place at the neck but it will allow you to pull the two halves apart enough to fix the baffles in place as long as you have a small necked screwdriver that you can slide inside the main body. The baffles and the wings themselves secure to the fuselage with a line of four tiny screws on the outside edge inside the ships main body. Tightening these screws will help secure the wings to the body better, but I went one step further by undoing the screws and sliding out the baffles from wells in the upper fuselage. I then put superglue on the underside of the baffles, reinserted them into the wells on the body and quickly screwed the baffles back onto the body. Do one side at a time as the superglue sets up quickly.
Then you just get the fuselage together. The "try me/full on" button will come loose, just replace it on the switch before putting the ship back together.
Now I have a perfect ship! The lights all work and are bright, wings aren't floppy and set into position, baffles are strongly secured to the body, and there's no light bleed from the Disruptors.

I've never had this many issues with a Diamond/Art Asylum ship before. The experience has soured me from buying anymore of these ships, I might try again later on, but not anytime soon, I've had enough of this s-**t for now.

And just a follow up to that, my final 4th BOP ship I settled on is now showing a dimming of the green disruptor lights just like my 3rd BOP ship. Diamond really screwed up on this release, I wanted to get the Voyage Home BOP, but the headache from the first version has put me off.

That's strange, the one my friend has (and he's not a big collector like us lol, just gets the ships) seemed perfectly fine.

But having been a long-time Art Asylum/DST apologist, that's pretty much par for the course for this company. QC's always been really all over the place, especially on the ships.

I did pick up the Klingon disruptor recently, have no problems with it and am having a blast (the dog can't decide whether to be afraid and run for it or attack it lol).

Received my Diamond Select Enterprise D from BBTS today. In work so I can't fully unpackage it yet to inspect everything. Seems fine apart from some minor paint flaws here and there.

Impressed by the size, though now I see why some people thought the Excelsior/Enterprise B ship could have been made a little bigger.

Received my Diamond Select Enterprise D from BBTS today. In work so I can't fully unpackage it yet to inspect everything. Seems fine apart from some minor paint flaws here and there.

Impressed by the size, though now I see why some people thought the Excelsior/Enterprise B ship could have been made a little bigger.

Yeah it's definitely not in scale with the other ships.

I pre-ordered the Enterprise D from Forbidden Planet as soon as the pre-order went up last August. It was supposed to be in stock on the 15th of Jan, however it's apparently sold out and my order is reading that they are contacting their suppliers & to read their T&C's. The T&C's basically state that you can pre-order with them, but they make no guarantee that they will be able to fulfull that order and it's tough titty if they can't!

I'm begiing to think I'll never get hold of this ship. I originally pre-ordered with Model Zone & they went into adminstration. I then pre-ordered with Mother's Basement and they ran off with my money, and now this :(

^that's a damn shame. So many stories of Forbidden Planet not being able to fulfil preorders and I have one such story from years ago myself. Any ebay options?

It's a beauty, I'm really pleased with mine, the best lights and sound functionality of any of these ships and the usual light-bleed into areas of the ship that shouldn't be lighting up is absolutely minimal.

I noticed the Enterprise B is now on clearance on BBTS so I ordered that yesterday.

It's the cost to be honest. You can pick it up on E-bay, but you're looking at close to £100 with postage. And I've alrady spent £60 with Mother's Basement for a ship I never received. I've got the Enterprise A on pre-order with Forbiddn Planet , so I'm nervous they're going to gip me with that too.

Well I would say if any of these ships are worth that then the Enterprise D is. However your mileage may vary, depends how badly you need it represented in your collection. I've cut down on my toy purchases to a large degree where I don't mind paying a little more than things may be worth on those few things that I do buy. So I've been ordering these ships from BBTS. I haven't been hit by customs on any of them to my recollection but as far as I've heard UK customs are a different story altogether so maybe you would be.

I noticed the Enterprise B is now on clearance on BBTS so I ordered that yesterday.

And received. Looks good in the box.

So now I'm just awaiting the Enterprise A and an announcement of the Reliant, maybe Voyager and the Defiant. Only interested in Federation ships before calling it done.

I just bought the DST Excelsior on BBTS. For those of you unaware, it's the same scale as the old AMT kit: 1/1000. Which is also the scale of the Polar Lights TOS and refit kits. I'm building the PL Enterprise-A to go along with it. Star Trek VI style!

I ordered a couple of the Diamond Select figures from The Wrath of Khan recently. Got the Select Khan and Admiral Kirk (regular version). I’ve only received Khan so far (Kirk arrives tomorrow) and he’s a cool figure in my opinion. I like that he comes with the bridge piece/captains chair from Reliant and can either be seated or can stand. My only issue is that the joints are a bit hard to peg into place. I can’t wait to see what QMX will offer up eventually.

Not sure if you should double check your order, but there is no Admiral Kirk figure from wrath of Khan. The only other Kirk release is from the original series. Khan is the only TWOK figure out so far. The only Admiral Kirk figures you can get are from a different range that was out years ago and they're in a totally different scale.

The one I got is an older figure. I purchased it from Amazon so I don’t think its a fake or anything. I didn’t realize it was a different scale though.

It’s one like this:
0701kirkcarded.jpg

The one I got is an older figure. I purchased it from Amazon so I don’t think its a fake or anything. I didn’t realize it was a different scale though.

It’s one like this:
0701kirkcarded.jpg

Yes, that's the Kirk. Unfortunately when diamond moved to the 'select' range they changed scales. So Khan is going to tower over Jim by a good inch or two...

Ah bummer. Well it’s not ideal but maybe I’ll just keep Khan seated in the captains chair and have Kirk standing nearby.

Yeah, you might be able to fudge it. DST claims they are still making Trek Select so I guess they could always get to Kirk (I think Admiral Kirk with command chair would be an amazing companion piece) but I'm not holding my breath.

When it comes to DST and Star Trek it's never a good idea to hold your breath or have hope at all.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!??????? Well, this is out of nowhere! I wouldn't worry too much yet, they're obviously protos (and extremely badly posed ones at that). Odd though that they didn't go with the Beyond uniforms which are more current......

Back