1/6 SSC Gambit Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No offense Saintv1 but one looks like Gambit and one looks like a bad cosplay Gambit. Sideshow has never got 1/6 scale, they never got what scale means. Star Wars, GI Joe etc... the closest they got was the Temple of Doom Indiana Jones but they must have fire that guy right after his release. I know a lot of collector jumped on their Marvel line and spent a lot of money so they can't call it like it is but those faces are trash, I'm a long time Marvel comic fan but couldn't send the money on the crap SS was putting out. I'm sure I'm gonna get basted but I have to call it like I see it. Both Wolverine figures they produced are garbage and way over priced. The heads are to big for the bodies and the faces are subpar to put it kindly, their Gambit and his monkey ears continue their poor design choices. I can't believe they set around the table at the design meetings and all say yep that's the best we can do. They charge Hot Toys money but give us Hasbro quality and if you can't see that I don't know what to tell you. Enjoy your distorted X-Men, I'll wait for a better option.

No offense taken; we are all looking for different things in our collection. Sideshow isn't perfect, but the criticism is overblown and I'm super happy with my "Hasbro quality" figures.
4a4d974c2d3561f2933b6ef5015b470a.jpg
56efa67d25810823743b6c9802711067.jpg
8d2ec0cffd8b260f7bc92ed719d20250.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

That would be part of why people prefer one over another wouldn?t it? The style in which a figure is made?

Absolutely. I'm not asking why people like one over the other; that is self-evident. We all have different tastes. It just seemed like almost everyone agreed that the SooSoo version was "better," and I see quality and style as very different metrics, so I asked.

I?m not trying to put down anyone?s choices and good on you for picking whatever you want but as for me I know what I like for those reasons I gave.
No worries, we're on the same page. I don't even like Gambit so I won't be buying either figure, haha, though to my eye the SS version is the cooler looking piece.

People like what they like. Sad part is you can easily get called a fanboy if you go against the grain. However, I do think price plays a certain factor here regardless if ppl are willing to admit it or not. The fact that the SooSoo is $100 cheaper than the Sideshow does make it more appealing. I made the similar comparison in another thread about how folks crapped on the Hot Toys POTC Angelica figure until SS started giving it out for free and all of sudden it wasn't such a bad figure after all. It's totally different when your wallet isn't getting impacted as much. Not saying that 100% fact for everyone all the time but I think it's fair to say that price has a good amount of sway.

Just as some see something off and overpriced with the Sideshow, I see something off and not worth the price with the SooSoo. It's a nice looking figure and I'll probably buy the stand separately to use on the Sideshow, but other than that, I prefer the Sideshow figure.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine paying full MSRP if they would be more consistent in both included accessories (something hot toys is also guilty of as of late) and QC.

Funny to look at Magneto, who is beautifully tailored and comes with 2 helmets and an alternate headsculpt. When they can't even at least give us the same unmasked wolverine sculpt they've already made with the tiger stripe wolverine...

That aside the figures are great and far from "hasbro" quality.

No offense taken; we are all looking for different things in our collection. Sideshow isn't perfect, but the criticism is overblown and I'm super happy with my "Hasbro quality" figures.
4a4d974c2d3561f2933b6ef5015b470a.jpg
56efa67d25810823743b6c9802711067.jpg
8d2ec0cffd8b260f7bc92ed719d20250.jpg

With picture quality like that and close ups, you could make a toilet look good. You have to look at pictures where normal people are just using their iphones and it looks pretty ******. If a figure looks good in crap pictures like those then you know it's gonna be good in hand. That wolverine looks like the grandpa from hey arnold.

Honestly, I'd be perfectly fine paying full MSRP if they would be more consistent in both included accessories (something hot toys is also guilty of as of late) and QC.

Funny to look at Magneto, who is beautifully tailored and comes with 2 helmets and an alternate headsculpt. When they can't even at least give us the same unmasked wolverine sculpt they've already made with the tiger stripe wolverine...

That aside the figures are great and far from "hasbro" quality.
Yeah, a second headsculpt should be standard, especially for figures that don't have a lot of obvious accessories.

People like what they like. Sad part is you can easily get called a fanboy if you go against the grain. However, I do think price plays a certain factor here regardless if ppl are willing to admit it or not. The fact that the SooSoo is $100 cheaper than the Sideshow does make it more appealing. I made the similar comparison in another thread about how folks crapped on the Hot Toys POTC Angelica figure until SS started giving it out for free and all of sudden it wasn't such a bad figure after all. It's totally different when your wallet isn't getting impacted as much. Not saying that 100% fact for everyone all the time but I think it's fair to say that price has a good amount of sway.

Just as some see something off and overpriced with the Sideshow, I see something off and not worth the price with the SooSoo. It's a nice looking figure and I'll probably buy the stand separately to use on the Sideshow, but other than that, I prefer the Sideshow figure.

I know everything?s subjective. There were times when I was in the minority also in liking a medicom figure over hot toys version, such as the Amazing Spider-Man.
But I had a chance to get SS Gambit for free when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. My option was SS gambit, Tamashii R2d2, or damtoys Resident evil 2 Leon. I really wanted to pick Gambit, it was my first option. In the end, I ended up getting R2D2.

Its ironic to me cause if I wasnt aware of either figure, if I was shown those comparison pics and I dont know which is which, I would have thought the soosoo toys would have been Sideshow. For me, the Sideshow version looks like a 3rd party figure.
I would have thought Sideshow version would have been better cause their 1/4 Gambit Statue is outstanding.

To each his own, and its all good if people prefer one over the other.
Just my .02 since someone is asking why people prefer soosoo toys over SS.

With picture quality like that and close ups, you could make a toilet look good. You have to look at pictures where normal people are just using their iphones and it looks pretty ******. If a figure looks good in crap pictures like those then you know it's gonna be good in hand. That wolverine looks like the grandpa from hey arnold.
Well, I am a normal person and I took those photos. No, I didn't take them on a cell phone, but I can tell you the figures look the same on my shelf as they in those photos. I'm not magic.

I think Wolverine looks the way he was drawn by the likes of Dave Cockrum and John Byrne. I know many fans want all their action figures to look like Jim Lee art, and that's fine--but I don't.

This type of thinking cannot be further from the truth. Look at the scare just about EVERY Hot Toys figure has when those crappy unfutzed cell phone pics come out with people who just had to be first to post pics. This forum literally blows up each time saying how awful the figure looks, how glad some folks are that they waited for ?in hand pics? etc, followed with a good handful of people canceling their orders every single time that happens b/c of the ?normal people? using their iPhones. With that said, a person can take beautiful pics of these with just their iphone if you know how to use it properly just as someone can take crappy pics with a fancy $1000 camera if they don?t know how to use it.
I know everything?s subjective. There were times when I was in the minority also in liking a medicom figure over hot toys version, such as the Amazing Spider-Man.
But I had a chance to get SS Gambit for free when my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. My option was SS gambit, Tamashii R2d2, or damtoys Resident evil 2 Leon. I really wanted to pick Gambit, it was my first option. In the end, I ended up getting R2D2.

Its ironic to me cause if I wasnt aware of either figure, if I was shown those comparison pics and I dont know which is which, I would have thought the soosoo toys would have been Sideshow. For me, the Sideshow version looks like a 3rd party figure.
I would have thought Sideshow version would have been better cause their 1/4 Gambit Statue is outstanding.

To each his own, and its all good if people prefer one over the other.
Just my .02 since someone is asking why people prefer soosoo toys over SS.

For sure. Everyone has the right to choose what they like and I am by no means trying to sway anyone from one toward the other. At the end of the day, it is good to have options; especially with Xmen, when we haven?t had any good ones for awhile. And even though I prefer the Sideshow to SooSoo in this instance, that doesn?t mean I won?t prefer the SooSoo for a different character. It will be interesting to see if they do Wolverine and/or Cyclops. I?ve mentioned before that there is no Sideshow figure in my collection that I haven?t customized in some sort of way, so I definitely know they tend to fall short a lot of the time and have no biased towards them.

This type of thinking cannot be further from the truth. Look at the scare just about EVERY Hot Toys figure has when those crappy unfutzed cell phone pics come out with people who just had to be first to post pics. This forum literally blows up each time saying how awful the figure looks, how glad some folks are that they waited for ?in hand pics? etc, followed with a good handful of people canceling their orders every single time that happens b/c of the ?normal people? using their iPhones. With that said, a person can take beautiful pics of these with just their iphone if you know how to use it properly just as someone can take crappy pics with a fancy $1000 camera if they don?t know how to use it.

For sure. Everyone has the right to choose what they like and I am by no means trying to sway anyone from one toward the other. At the end of the day, it is good to have options; especially with Xmen, when we haven?t had any good ones for awhile. And even though I prefer the Sideshow to SooSoo in this instance, that doesn?t mean I won?t prefer the SooSoo for a different character. It will be interesting to see if they do Wolverine and/or Cyclops. I?ve mentioned before that there is no Sideshow figure in my collection that I haven?t customized in some sort of way, so I definitely know they tend to fall short a lot of the time and have no biased towards them.

I guess to me, my biggest disappointment with SS gambit is that as I mentioned, their gambit statue is phenomenal.
I had the hardest time choosing between XM or sideshow gambit statue. For me, they we?re almost neck and neck. In the end, speaking of things being Subjective, I know most people prefer SS, but I prefer the XM better cause of the details and pose.
But a lot of people reviewing the SS gambit statue talks about it being a
Contender of statue of the year.
So I would have thought Sideshow would have used reverse engineering in to making their 1/6 figure, look like their statue.
If their 1/6 would have looked closer to their statue, then I might have opted to get the sideshow version.

I guess to me, my biggest disappointment with SS gambit is that as I mentioned, their gambit statue is phenomenal.
I had the hardest time choosing between XM or sideshow gambit statue. For me, they we?re almost neck and neck. In the end, speaking of things being Subjective, I know most people prefer SS, but I prefer the XM better cause of the details and pose.
But a lot of people reviewing the SS gambit statue talks about it being a
Contender of statue of the year.
So I would have thought Sideshow would have used reverse engineering in to making their 1/6 figure, look like their statue.
If their 1/6 would have looked closer to their statue, then I might have opted to get the sideshow version.

I completely agree and totally get it. The PFs and Maquettes tend to look pretty sweet overall (some not so much) that it is always very curious as to why they don't shrink down those portraits and costume elements down to 1/6. Wonder Woman is a great example. It's such a plain figure but had they added just a smidge more detail and a headsculpt like either the PF or the small scale bust, it would've been an easy purchase and a much more stellar figure to me. Again, I'm not trying to persuade anyone that the Sideshow Gambit is better. I even said I think the SooSoo Gambit is a nice figure, I just like the Sideshow one more. I do find it interesting how the majority in this thread were for the most part on board with the Sideshow Gambit especially when official pics showed up, but now that the SooSoo one is revealed, the Sideshow one is all of sudden garbage. Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, when does anything on this board ever really make sense? :lol

Everyone likes what they like and no one should pay attention to anyone trying to knock their choices. You can tell people are either trying to justify their purchase or non purchase. Whatever reason you have for your choice is your business. No one else?s. If you want to share your opinions you are free to do so but we could all do with a little less disparaging of others.

I really want to like the sideshow because I know it will fit perfectly into the line they started. I know the quality to expect and the materials will look similar and therefore streamline. Things I am wary of with the soosoo are height and paintwork. Will it be tall enough for Gambit and will it look good with my other X-men? This is a big gamble when purchasing from a third party company. Some figures tend to be the right height and build but others even from the same company can be too short. Toys era the Ock is just such a figure. Alfred Molina is 6?2? but the figure came up way too short. Overall a great figure but there can be trade offs with mixing and matching other companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One side note. The green goblin TE figure is too tall. Willem Defoe was 5?7? and the figure is bordering on 6? scaled.

I completely agree and totally get it. The PFs and Maquettes tend to look pretty sweet overall (some not so much) that it is always very curious as to why they don't shrink down those portraits and costume elements down to 1/6. I do find it interesting how the majority in this thread were for the most part on board with the Sideshow Gambit especially when official pics showed up, but now that the SooSoo one is revealed, the Sideshow one is all of sudden garbage. Doesn't make sense to me

Things I am wary of with the soosoo are height and paintwork. Will it be tall enough for Gambit and will it look good with my other X-men? This is a big gamble when purchasing from a third party company... there can be trade offs with mixing and matching other companies.

Fully agree with these comments. I've been saying that same thing since (I think) the GI Joe line, that although I was quite happy with them, I wish they had simply re-scaled their PFFs and used the same designs for 1/6. I can only assume that they have some business idea/reason for not doing it. Maybe they think they can reach a wider audience in the event that some people don't like the look/design of the PFFs/Statues.

Personally, I like the look of both of these figures. If the Sideshow one wasn't coming out, I would have bought the SooSoo (after seeing in-hand pics/vids). For me, I used a lot of SS Points so for me, the costs of these figures are the same.

To suggest that the SSC figures look like Hasbro quality figures, is simply ridiculous. The suggestions that they look like bad cosplay has some merit. But that's exactly why (other than Spiderman) pretty much all film superhero costumes are NOT SPANDEX like their comic counterparts. Spandex just doesn't translate well to film. If they use some spandex-looking material, they always add a muscle suit underneath to make the heroes look better. But that said, I think the spandex look can translate very nice to 1/6 figures when done right, and I personally think the recent SS figs have been done very well. Overpriced, but well done.

It's all about what you want on your shelves. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the movie/film/tv designs, or having specific actors represent characters I love. In Gambit's case, I would never have a Gambit fig with Taylor Kitsch's headsculpt... in my opinion, that was a TERRIBLE representation of the character...

Everyone likes what they like and no one should pay attention to anyone trying to knock their choices. You can tell people are either trying to justify their purchase or non purchase. Whatever reason you have for your choice is your business. No one else's. If you want to share your opinions you are free to do so but we could all do with a little less disparaging of others.

very well said Jim :clap:

I don't get why a thread like this has to turn negative. While I personally don't care for Sideshow's 1/6 comic figures, there are plenty of folks who do. And if they weren't selling, SS wouldn't be producing them. There's no reason to call something that people have put their time, energy and talent into "trash" or "garbage". Most of the head sculpts are quite good, it's primarily the proportions, tailoring and some of the materials that don't work for me. Folks who collect these lines enjoy having them on display, which is all that matters. I like the SooSoo Gambit as it looks more like what I'd been hoping for when SS first announced their 1/6 DC comic line. However, I won't know for sure until it's in hand. Maybe SooSoo is producing a line of 1/6 comic figures that I'll collect, or Gambit could be a letdown or a one and done. The good news is there's more competition, albeit unlicensed, in the category. Perhaps the competition will push SS to step up production, which will make their collectors happy.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I immediately deleted my original reply to Saintv1 post after reading jedijim's well worded reply (#219), but Sanitv1 had already "replied with quote" to my post. What he selected was not my entire reply, I had also stated if you collected the sideshow marvel line and enjoyed them, more power to ya. I am a big believer in collecting what you love and not worrying about other people opinions, and I have never been one that jumps into a thread just to trash a figure. My original reply was more about my years of frustration with Sideshow and how they have treated the 1/6 collector. After re-reading it I decided to delete it because I didn't like the tone. I apologize to anyone that took it as me disparaging you for collecting what you enjoy. And I know that the SSC Marvel Line is not Hasbro quality or garbage, it's just not for me.

Well said. I have had plenty of Sideshow figures over the years. Some have been great and some not so great. Not so long ago there was a time when sideshow was the only producer of certain franchises and we had no choice but to get their representation of a figure if you wanted to collect those characters because there was no promise on the horizon of another company producing anything. Now it seems there is a wide array of competition which is ultimately good for the consumer. Competition breeds innovation and increases quality.

For me, I consider Hot Toys to be an upgrade if I already have a sideshow figure of that character. I know that the base bodies will be better and have tighter joints that will hold poses instead of being floppy either right out of the box or sometime down the road. Many sideshow figures I?ve had I consider bash kits because I need to upgrade the body. I know this going in so I choose to spend my money accordingly. Hot toys bodies can do this over time as well but in my experience sideshow always start out much floppier that HT.

I do thank sideshow for giving us some great figures over the years at great prices when there were almost none even if they had issues. Without them there would almost assuredly be no hot toys Star Wars. Things have changed quite a bit since I started collecting. Prices have risen and also quality. I like to think that it?s due to sideshow that the 1/6 collecting community is where it is today.

Back