Square Enix Play Arts Kai Gets New Licenses

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally I pulled the trigger on this.
Glad I got him:

PAK_GOWIII_Kratos_03.jpg

Awesome figure Timo! It looks great and congrats bud! :hi5:

Never have I been so afraid of a lineup before. When I first got into Play Arts Kai, via their Lightning figure and Gabranth, I thought they were awesome especially considering all the great licenses such as Metal Gear Solid, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, etc...

Oh boy... Now I sweat just thinking about these things. Quite possibly the most sketchy quality control of any major fairly high priced Japanese figure line, aside from Bandai's horrific D-Arts line. Little to no accessories ever. The finished product very rarely reflects the promotional shots, sometimes in our favor but often times not so much. They also do a pretty polarizing job with face sculpts. Usually they come out quite poor, like Nathan Drake and Chris Redfield, but other times they look wonderful, such as Chun Li and Cammy.

They do not come with stands anymore and the old ones from their first lineup are too weak to actually hold the figures in interesting poses. Finally, the prices are absurd and they tend to not drop at all in the aftermarket due to the poor distribution stateside. Seriously these figures are starting to approach sixty dollars plus and yet they have done nothing but go down in quality since Gabranth.

I'm not saying Play Arts Kai sucks or anything like that. I want to LOVE this line I really do, but everytime they grab a new license I like, I shed a tear. Even if their figure is good, it is too overpriced and comes with little to nothing to show for it. They have a tendency to have bad wrist joints and the quality control makes ordering them online a really bad idea.

And the final nail on the coffin? Scale. Not only do these almost never scale well with pretty much any other well existing figure lineup both Western or Eastern, but they do not even scale with themselves. Lightning from FFXIII towers over Lightning from XIII-2. It's the same character! She also towers over Cloud, Squall, and Gabranth. It's the same franchise for goodness sake! I can't even pose Final Fantasy characters together.

And no matter how you look at it the Solidus is way overpriced. Yeah he's tall, but we all know it's going to be a nightmare keeping him standing unless you heavily use his tentacles as pseudo stands. I really want to get all the figures in their MGS 1 and 2 lineups, but geeze at these prices I might as well go for other things.

i have only bought the arkham batman figure from this line and i definitely agree with you. the sculpt on this thing is phenomenal but sadly i do not agree with its price tag considering its lack of accessories and it has massive balance/functional issues with its cape.

Yeah the packaging looks pretty sweet. What does the interior say? Is it a bio of Kratos? If so, that's a nice touch.

Both bats look like the exact same sculpt to me. Just a different belt and blue instead of black (and no criss-cross suit detail)

anyone picked upa Vanquish fig yet? Im soo pumped to get one but no cash right now unfortunatley

Back