Speculation: Hot Toys 2018 OT Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo1126

Super Freak
Reaction score
With just over a week to go to NY ToyFair (although I'm not sure Hot Toys has attended in past years), the start of the 2018 con season is upon us. Last year I believe Hot Toys revealed 4 new OT figures at Star Wars Celebration: Royal Guard, Palpatine, Hoth Leia, and Jedi Luke - all of which have now gone up for preorder. So what's next? With no SW Celebration this year, when will the first new figures be revealed? Will HT focus on Solo Figures (separate thread for Solo speculation) in early 2018, and hold OT figures until mid-2018 at SDCC? Regardless of when, we know HT continues to support OT fans, and we can expect new reveals in the coming months. Here's my guess as to what might be revealed this year:
1. Han Bespin
2. Lando Bespin
3. Scout Trooper
4. Leia Boussh
5. TIE Pilot
6. Rebel Fleet Trooper

My thinking for Han and Lando, is that we know young versions of these figures are pretty much a given, so to me it would make sense for HT to also release the original versions as well. HT likes the Empire, so a TIE Pilot would follow the Death Star Gunner, and the eventual release of the Death Star Trooper. Scout Trooper goes with Endor Luke and Leia shown last year. And Leia Boussh while not as likely could happen with the release of Jabba's Palace/Jedi Luke. As for the Rebel Fleet Trooper, this is more of a hope and a want than any educated guess.

As for some of the figures shown at previous events...
I think the reason we have yet to see some of these figures is because a precursor figure is still available. For instance you can still purchase the Sandtrooper at retail, and therefore HT has yet to release it's Sandtrooper Sergeant shown a few years back. Death Star Gunner is still available and maybe HT is waiting for it to sell out before putting Death Star Trooper up for preorder. Personally I would think that putting these figures up for preorder would drive sales for what stock remains of the previous releases. But as we saw with Han Stormtrooper, HT did not put it up for presale until Luke Stormtrooper was sold out.

What does everyone else think?

I'd like to see:
1. Bespin Lando
2. Bespin Han
3. Slave Leia (if Disney would allow)
4. Rebel pilot Luke that finally cracks the Ep IV Hamill portrait

I’m betting Bespin Han and Bespin Lando as well. My hope is also for Jabba and his throne along with Salacious Crumb. I’d take either Slave Leia or Leia in Boussh disguise.

I hope we get a Scout Trooper. It just makes sense seeing as all the other OT troopers (minus TIE Pilot) have been made, and the fact that we have ROTJ Stormtrooper, Endor Luke, and Endor Leia were shown earlier. I will be disappointed if we don't get this guy.

I just bought a Sideshow TIE Pilot, so knowing my luck the Hot Toy version will come out soon. :lol

It's my dream to see HT nail Ford's likeness. They just can't get it down after all these years unless it's an old version.

Wedge, please. I need a damn Wedge.

I'm guessing Lando and the Death Star Trooper will pop up around the time of the Han Solo movie. I'm also going to guess that the Scout Trooper will show up, since they're hitting RotJ pretty hard now and we all know Howard loves troopers.

They'll probably be pretty busy with Marvel and a couple of Han Solo figures this year, so I don't think we'll see too many OT figures. Just my guess.

I love Lando (and wow, is he overdue) but what should HT announce in 2018?

1. Han Bespin
2. Han Bespin
3. Han Bespin
4. Han Bespin
5. Han Bespin

I think we will see ESB Han and Lando, and the Scout Trooper this year. I also think the Death Star Trooper finally goes up for PO.

I wished we would get a PO for Baze and Sandtrooper Sergeant but don't see it happening.

I really hope they nail the Lando sculpt.

I'm holding out for RotJ Vader.

They just announced ESB Vader not that long ago...RotJ Vader is probably another year away, at least. They aren't going to have the two compete against each other for sales when they know people are always going to buy a new/nother Vader.

You mean ANH ceremonial? Or Bespin dress Leia?

I think he means Bespin gown Leia. I would love to see one. Just started this SW collecting, trying to limit myself to 3 Detolfs and one version of all the main characters. Bespin gown would be my preferred Leia. I am weird.

As for my guesses for this year, more like my hopes:

Bespin Lando
Death Star Trooper
Biker Scout
C-3PO

That would finish off the 3 Detolfs.

We better get a Lando, and it had better be Billy Dee, or else I'll...whine about it on the internet. Repeatedly. And if we get a Donald Glover Lando before a Billy Dee Williams one, I will go crazy. Just saying.

As to what else, a new (Ford based) Han seems a strong bet, either Hoth or, more likely, Bespin, to mirror the near inevitable young Han from Solo that must surely be coming. There hasn't been a regular Stormtrooper for a while, so maybe the Sandtrooper Sgt might be getting closer to release. Same with the Death Star Trooper, who seems like a perfect candidate for release, hitting both the OT demographic, as well as the newer fans riding off the back of Solo. Might be a good time for Jabba the Hutt, too, if Hot Toys have any plans to make him. Though I shudder to think what they'd charge...

As to what I'd most like to see, other than Lando, Scout Trooper, Tie Fighter Pilot, Admiral Ackbar, and Greedo are top of my remaining OT wants right now, along with the inevitable pilot Luke Skywalker, and so any time Hot Toys wants to roll any of those out I'll be ready and waiting.

We better get a Lando, and it had better be Billy Dee, or else I'll...whine about it on the internet. Repeatedly. And if we get a Donald Glover Lando before a Billy Dee Williams one, I will go crazy. Just saying.

As to what else, a new (Ford based) Han seems a strong bet, either Hoth or, more likely, Bespin, to mirror the near inevitable young Han from Solo that must surely be coming. There hasn't been a regular Stormtrooper for a while, so maybe the Sandtrooper Sgt might be getting closer to release. Same with the Death Star Trooper, who seems like a perfect candidate for release, hitting both the OT demographic, as well as the newer fans riding off the back of Solo. Might be a good time for Jabba the Hutt, too, if Hot Toys have any plans to make him. Though I shudder to think what they'd charge...

As to what I'd most like to see, other than Lando, Scout Trooper, Tie Fighter Pilot, Admiral Ackbar, and Greedo are top of my remaining OT wants right now, along with the inevitable pilot Luke Skywalker, and so any time Hot Toys wants to roll any of those out I'll be ready and waiting.

I agree. It would somehow seem rude and disrespectful to release a Donald Glover Lando before a Billy Dee Williams Lando. Bespin Han, Lando, and Leia are at the top of my OT want list.

Back