Sideshow The Crow: 1/6 Eric Draven

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I preorder this and it will be a good Comic version, and my Hot Toys one can remain being the movie version. Because I’m not seeing Brandon in this one’s sculpt. Agreed the face paint hides a lot of issues with the sculpt. My main concern is - I just really hope the under body isn’t a piece of 💩. SS’s base bodies have been utter trash for awhile.

I preorder this and it will be a good Comic version, and my Hot Toys one can remain being the movie version. Because I’m not seeing Brandon in this one’s sculpt. Agreed the face paint hides a lot of issues with the sculpt. My main concern is - I just really hope the under body isn’t a piece of 💩. SS’s base bodies have been utter trash for awhile.
It's unfortunately a case by case basis. I've had a number of more recent SS figures and some of the bodies are fine with nice stiff joints. Others are stiff in some places and floppy in others. You really just never know until you get it in hand unfortunately.

It's unfortunately a case by case basis. I've had a number of more recent SS figures and some of the bodies are fine with nice stiff joints. Others are stiff in some places and floppy in others. You really just never know until you get it in hand unfortunately.
Yeah it’s upsetting because the Batman figure with the Bruce head I went through 3. All of them couldn’t hold a leg up without flopping down. Sideshow customer service told me after the second exchange they were all like that and I wasn’t going to get one “batter” and asked if I wanted to keep the Third one they sent out. It was disappointing to say the least. Same problem with my Freddy Kruger but at least I could open that body up to tighten the joints. Same with Ghost Face which was a literally rag doll out of the box. Jedha Patrol had a new Anakin have loose joints out of the box and break on camera during his review. At least I know what to expect when I purchase one of their products - and with their Eric I should be able to get to the base body if I need to Frankenstein something.

I just wish if they are going to charge premium prices they put out a premium product. I’ve never bought a Hot Toys figure and in the back of my mind I’m thinking of the body I could use if I need to replace it. Unfortunately we still as a collectible community accept that as the norm. So we look at releases as Accessories, outfit, and a sculpt at times instead of looking at the piece as a whole. I’m guilty of it myself because being such a fan of the Crow, this was a day one preorder for me.

Yeah it’s upsetting because the Batman figure with the Bruce head I went through 3. All of them couldn’t hold a leg up without flopping down. Sideshow customer service told me after the second exchange they were all like that and I wasn’t going to get one “batter” and asked if I wanted to keep the Third one they sent out. It was disappointing to say the least. Same problem with my Freddy Kruger but at least I could open that body up to tighten the joints. Same with Ghost Face which was a literally rag doll out of the box. Jedha Patrol had a new Anakin have loose joints out of the box and break on camera during his review. At least I know what to expect when I purchase one of their products - and with their Eric I should be able to get to the base body if I need to Frankenstein something.

I just wish if they are going to charge premium prices they put out a premium product. I’ve never bought a Hot Toys figure and in the back of my mind I’m thinking of the body I could use if I need to replace it. Unfortunately we still as a collectible community accept that as the norm. So we look at releases as Accessories, outfit, and a sculpt at times instead of looking at the piece as a whole. I’m guilty of it myself because being such a fan of the Crow, this was a day one preorder for me.
Agreed. It's definitely something that shouldn't be happening at this price point. It's definitely hard to be a fan of Sideshow's products at times. They've been in the game longer than many others yet their final products tend to leave a lot to be desired esepcially in paint, casting and build quality of the bodies. Their figures end up usually needing a good amount of work to bring them up to snuff. And while the argument can usually be made that ppl even mod HT figures, they're usually taking a pretty great looking out of the box figure to the next level to make it even better, where as Sideshow figures tend to need the work just to bring them up to the level they should already be at.

I'm not actively trying to bash sideshow, as I own many of their 1/6 products still to this day, but I'm also not blind to their short comings. I have many of the original GI Joes and most are pretty floppy in the torso and hips while the knees are dang near frozen stiff. Not even the use of silicone shock oil has been able loosen them up.

Agreed. It's definitely something that shouldn't be happening at this price point. It's definitely hard to be a fan of Sideshow's products at times. They've been in the game longer than many others yet their final products tend to leave a lot to be desired esepcially in paint, casting and build quality of the bodies. Their figures end up usually needing a good amount of work to bring them up to snuff. And while the argument can usually be made that ppl even mod HT figures, they're usually taking a pretty great looking out of the box figure to the next level to make it even better, where as Sideshow figures tend to need the work just to bring them up to the level they should already be at.

I'm not actively trying to bash sideshow, as I own many of their 1/6 products still to this day, but I'm also not blind to their short comings. I have many of the original GI Joes and most are pretty floppy in the torso and hips while the knees are dang near frozen stiff. Not even the use of silicone shock oil has been able loosen them up.
100% with you on that and I don’t want to bash Sideshow either in fact I wish they would step up. I just hope a lot of these guys that actual make the decisions on the pieces and parts they use knowing full well how the final product is going to turn out lacking either start making better decisions or step down and someone who’s passionate about the hobby steps in.

I honest see a swing in figure collecting in the last several years where collectors are becoming more savvy with what they are going to buy. Especially with so many third party companies coming to the table and delivering figures of outstanding quality and for a fair price. Lim Toys, SooSooToys, VTS, and others to the point it’s making the larger manufacturers look bad. Not arguing the unlicensed verses Licensed properties I’m just saying on the stand point of the quality of a finished piece. After a while of years of this people will turn away. I’ve seen it with the comic book industry where publishers thought the lack of story and art could be saved by hydrofoil, wrap around, die cut, scratch and sniff, poly bagged, multi variant covers. They assumed they could replace readers that left by looking at their collector base as addicts….that the completest in them would want to buy every single cover issue no matter what 💩 they put out. They created false scarcity by short printing certain covers over others. I know of multiple friends who complete got out of collecting because of that. Might not be a true comparison of Apples to Apples but the same thing rings true, if you keep putting out an inferior product be it a $3 comic book or $250 figure…people will walk away. At that point it’s next to impossible to bring them back.

Again this is just my opinion which means absolutely nothing. I’m a 52 year old collector, I collected comics from the time I was 12/13 (early 80s) well into my early 30s when the gimmicks started and it became style over substance.

Last edited:
So surprisingly I got mine in today and got to say he is a very awesome looking figure.For those who are worried about the coat being too big or puffy that was just bad angles/posing for the final product pics from sideshow.Though through time be wary of the material,It's screaming flakeyness.

The accessories are good,although the sword is not metal which is a ******* shame (considering the price your paying for this guy) Even though it being plastic will help with posing, the gripping hands are a bit too big to snugly slide the hilt in, so it'll be loose unless you add double sided tape or putty.The guns are good nothing to really say they are just plastic.The crow is a well added piece that you can pose next to Eric nothing much else to add about that.The guitar is cheap plastic to be honest but has pretty decent details.The hands are painted decent and have good detail to them.The outfit is really well done.No popping out stitches or defects with the clothes thankfully

Also want to note when sideshow was doing their unboxing video, the narrator mentioned that the guitar had metal strings.They don't,they are see through plastic strings.Either a mistake on the narrator or false advertising just thought I should put that out there.

I will probably message sideshow about my figure. Because I've noticed on the headsculpt that the left eye has a bit too much gloss paint than the right,so it looks like Eric is shedding a tear when you look at certain angles.

Also when I was shining a light on the face I noticed little dust hairs got stuck to the white face paint (I'm guessing during paint process) and some are really hard to remove.So I will most likely ask them if they can send me another headsculpt if possible,but for now here are some pics I took of him.
Overall it's decent and a must own if you don't have the Hot toys version like I did.

Attachments

• 20221006_220946.jpg
    20221006_220946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_221243.jpg
    20221006_221243.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_221255.jpg
    20221006_221255.jpg
  • 20221006_221302.jpg
    20221006_221302.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_221307.jpg
    20221006_221307.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_221335.jpg
    20221006_221335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
So surprisingly I got mine in today and got to say he is a very awesome looking figure.For those who are worried about the coat being too big or puffy that was just bad angles/posing for the final product pics from sideshow.Though through time be wary of the material,It's screaming flakeyness.

The accessories are good,although the sword is not metal which is a ******* shame (considering the price your paying for this guy) Even though it being plastic will help with posing, the gripping hands are a bit too big to snugly slide the hilt in, so it'll be loose unless you add double sided tape or putty.The guns are good nothing to really say they are just plastic.The crow is a well added piece that you can pose next to Eric nothing much else to add about that.The guitar is cheap plastic to be honest but has pretty decent details.The hands are painted decent and have good detail to them.The outfit is really well done.No popping out stitches or defects with the clothes thankfully

Also want to note when sideshow was doing their unboxing video, the narrator mentioned that the guitar had metal strings.They don't,they are see through plastic strings.Either a mistake on the narrator or false advertising just thought I should put that out there.

I will probably message sideshow about my figure. Because I've noticed on the headsculpt that the left eye has a bit too much gloss paint than the right,so it looks like Eric is shedding a tear when you look at certain angles.

Also when I was shining a light on the face I noticed little dust hairs got stuck to the white face paint (I'm guessing during paint process) and some are really hard to remove.So I will most likely ask them if they can send me another headsculpt if possible,but for now here are some pics I took of him.
Overall it's decent and a must own if you don't have the Hot toys version like I did.

Just curious, is the left eye perhaps purposefully that way? In the comic I believe his left eye is different than his right because it was damaged when he was shot in the back of the head.

Just curious, is the left eye perhaps purposefully that way? In the comic I believe his left eye is different than his right because it was damaged when he was shot in the back of the head.
I don't think so, I believe who ever painted this head just had too much gloss on the brush when painting it.When you shine a light on it, it sticks out. The right eye almost seems to not have any gloss over it which is why I'm questioning the left eye

Looks good. I literally postponed my last payment until I could see some in hand photos of him. So, thank you.

I got my crow figure this week too. Love how he looks, love the stuff that came with it, but that body.... my left hip is so wobbly. It almost feels like its not even the socket, but whats wierd is once i started messing with the foot ball joints, the hip started working better. which makes no sense at all. the leg is still loose, but he is a bit better at posing than when i first took him out. Im still on the fence about contacting sideshow. No one else has said thier hip is that loose. I just hate the idea of messing with a exchange. I did do a few quick shots but my heart wasn't in it because of the leg. If i did decide to do a body swap, which i've never done on a figure before, does anyone have any idea what the best body, least amount of customizing it would take to just make it all work?

Attachments

• ER6_0446 is that gasoline.jpg
    ER6_0446 is that gasoline.jpg
  • ER6_0449 head.jpg
    ER6_0449 head.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 0
I got my crow figure this week too. Love how he looks, love the stuff that came with it, but that body.... my left hip is so wobbly. It almost feels like its not even the socket, but whats wierd is once i started messing with the foot ball joints, the hip started working better. which makes no sense at all. the leg is still loose, but he is a bit better at posing than when i first took him out. Im still on the fence about contacting sideshow. No one else has said thier hip is that loose. I just hate the idea of messing with an exchange. I did do a few quick shots but my heart wasn't in it because of the leg. If i did decide to do a body swap, which i've never done on a figure before, does anyone have any idea what the best body, least amount of customizing it would take to just make it all work?
If you do a body swap, the main thing that won’t fit are the boots. Sideshow uses much larger ball joints at the ankles than anyone else. So you’d either have to mode the boot to accept a standard sized ball joint, glue one end of a standard ball joint in so you’ll still have function of the upper ball joint, it just use blue tack to secure the joint in place.

I was thinking if I were to get this and the body was an issue, I’d probably use the KO HT bruce Lee body that’s regularly available.

Mine arrives tomorrow, I can’t help but to think after the new Bill Skarsgård Crow movie releases (apparently it finished production in Prague recently) that we will be introduced to a host of new Crow merchandise and maybe a new Hot Toys Crow figure based of him.

Got mine today, better than expected. A few dissapointments though. The weapons should have had more love. A metal katana or at least weathering effect, weathering paint app on guns as well. Another crow in flying position wouId've also been nice. The plain black base is a let down too.

Don't mind the look, it's not Brandon look and it's not the comic look, sort of both, but it works for me at least. Better than the HT head.

Overall glad I got it.

Just want to say that I got this recently and I think it's great, fortunately the body on mine wasn't loose at all, the paint was good and I think the sculpt is nice especially in the right lighting. I'm really happy I got it! And I know Sideshow always does this but the wrist pegs in each hand is such a good idea, makes the whole figure so much more fun lol

I got mine and overall very pleased. Does it look like Brandon Lee, not at all. It looks like a young Rob Lowe in Crow make up and wig. It’s no where near the sculpt Hot Toys gave us and HT gave us the weird smiling face but at least it looked like him. Put my review up on YouTube, you’ll have to pardon my voice it was done after working a 16hr nursing shift and all I wanted to do was hit the rack.
70FC936F-F4FD-46F7-8765-F5D588E9B755.jpeg
02AE9B53-C544-4FF0-A9DC-6A55FD3D5DED.jpeg
1BE8B415-C519-4671-A29B-CFA4DDCAB48E.jpeg
E33FBAB0-CC2A-4F99-BFDA-8F0CBB005927.jpeg
8FB458E8-2177-49C6-B1CA-EA612AADC305.jpeg

Attachments

• F578BDC8-5CCC-40CE-835F-0D70BC2F34FD.jpeg
    F578BDC8-5CCC-40CE-835F-0D70BC2F34FD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 82F9CD4D-2AA3-4292-B0F6-5B5A330FA1A0.jpeg
    82F9CD4D-2AA3-4292-B0F6-5B5A330FA1A0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0