Sideshow: The Clint Eastwood Legacy Collection (1:6 figures)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love a Dirty Harry for my shelf.

Curious if Sideshow will be stepping up its game now that it seems to be sneaking back into more 1/6th figures like Eastwood and Lebowski. Maybe a whole new team for these now. I am hoping these will not be caricaturized like Skiff Lando's sculpt is.

The Dude will tell us a lot about what we can expect... assuming he shows first.

You don't negotiate a license for Clint Eastwood and not do GBU.

I'll take that bet. :monkey1

Hope I'm wrong, but last I heard the rights to the Dollars trilogy are about as convoluted as those to the original Blade Runner are (or were...?). We'll see.

Regardless, Dirty Harry, Hang 'em High, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Heartbreak Ridge, Unforgiven, Gran Torino, just for starters. Still plenty of scope for quality pieces if Sideshow can do them justice (IF...).

That's exciting news. Seems Sideshow is taking a hint from the high-end customs game.

They have my attention.

Hopefully they realise they need to being their A game here and change what they have done before. This is a milestone license and deserves great care and respect.

While this certainly isn't the world's biggest license, it's a great opportunity for Sideshow to really show whether or not they are capable of competing with Hot Toys. If they were smart they would hire the best sculptor they can to produce a top notch portrait. Those folks are out there if SS is willing to invest the time and money. Also, since Sideshow is already working with Phicen they should have them produce the bodies. They should be able to nail the tailoring and accessories. Then just make sure they have a solid workflow and QC.
Sideshow could use this as a showpiece series. If the artisanship and quality is there, premium figures could go for $275-$300.
I'd pick up Dirty Harry if it's done well.

I've been wanting an official Clint Eastwood line for YEARS, especially Josey Wales, and of course when it actually happens it has to be Sideshow.

Slightly cartoony caricature sculpts with loose floppy bodies incoming.

This is exactly why I can?t get too excited about any 1/6 human offerings from SS. I would love to have a few Eastwood westerns on display but based on their Skiff Lando and every human portrait they?ve ever done we will be getting a nice comic book/caricature version instead of a realistic sculpt.

Still a surprising announcement that would have more exciting had it been Blitzway.

For such a monumental line, maybe Sideshow will finally acquire some outside talent for the headsculpts. Hire Vimal perhaps, because the likenesses aren't going to be great with their in house artists.
My number 1 is Will Munny.
Josey Wales and Will Munny are my two favorite Eastwood characters. I'd probably get a Walt from Gran Torino as well.

I am more likely to purchase a figure with a decent head sculpt of a character from a great film that I really love, than an amazing head sculpt of a character from a mediocre summer franchise movie that I have already forgotten about by the time the credits roll.
So this is exciting for me either way.
Even if Sideshow does not get to Hot Toys level with the sculpts (which, let?s be honest, they definitely won?t) they are doing a lot of good for the hobby by producing licensed figures from less current and mainstream subjects.

I am more likely to purchase a figure with a decent head sculpt of a character from a great film that I really love, than an amazing head sculpt of a character from a mediocre summer franchise movie that I have already forgotten about by the time the credits roll.
So this is exciting for me either way.
Even if Sideshow does not get to Hot Toys level with the sculpts (which, let?s be honest, they definitely won?t) they are doing a lot of good for the hobby by producing licensed figures from less current and mainstream subjects.

Yes to all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the choices lately, it feels like someone new is in charge. If that's the case, hopefully new ideas also lead to new artist collaborations and higher production expectations on upcoming product.

In order to succeed, Sideshow should:

a) hire Trevor Grove's services again - How long since he last worked for them? Last I heard from him, he was doing stuff for Tweeterhead.

210105091527929606.jpg

210105091528129898.jpg

b) outsource the paint apps step to a truly competent factory, one which doesn't mar Grove's wonderful work too much.

Thanks to Kenobiv for reminding me of these pics.

Trevor works for NECA now. He did all the BTTF figures which I feel were mostly panned here. He has done pretty much all of their major human likenesses the last few years. Halloween, Alien etc.

Trevor works for NECA now. He did all the BTTF figures which I feel were mostly panned here. He has done pretty much all of their major human likenesses the last few years. Halloween, Alien etc.

Oh, thanks, I didn't know, since I don't follow NECA.

Between The Dude and this, SS is clearly looking at deeper cut licenses with smaller but passionate fan bases. So maybe they are looking at shorter runs and better quality artisanship which will enable them to charge higher prices. To be honest, neither license is that big of a priority for me. I wouldn't pay $200 or even $150 for a pretty good The Dude or Dirty Harry figure. However, I would pay $300, possibly $350, for great figures.
There are some amazing Dude customs out there so that bar is set pretty high. That said, since those customs are unlicensed Sideshow could conceivably work with one of those artists to try and mass produce a figure that can rival the custom. I've also seen nice Walter Sobchak and Jesus Q customs if SS wants to expand the BL line. As for Eastwood, I believe Scott Pettersen did a pretty nice Dirty Harry a few years ago. I have the Iminime Blondie, which is good but can certainly be topped. Again, Sideshow could work with those guys on outfits and hire a top sculptor for the portraits. They could also produce Tuco and Angel Eyes to round out the GBU cast.
But with Sideshow who knows. They were able to raise the bar on their statues when XM came on the scene, but haven't come anywhere close to Hot Toys in the figure arena. That's probably why they lost the 1:6 Star Wars license (although they've never acknowledged it publically). While they are producing 1:6 Marvel and DC comic figures, those are underwhelming and inconsistent IMO. The last 1:6 figure I bought from SS was Jack Burton, which was okay but not great. I would have ordered Beetlejuice had it not been so terrible. But again I would have paid up to $350 for "custom" quality figures.
I guess we'll see where they go.

Just compare their Ledger statues to what other statue companies have coming out doesn’t give hope.

Back