Sideshow Collectibles Universal Monsters: SSE Bela Lugosi Dracula 1:6 Figure Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApeManRyan

Super Freak
Reaction score

Hello Sideshow Freaks,

So this is my first Blog EVER! Pretty excited to start making Blogs. Most Blogs I will post will be reviews on new figures I receive or older pieces I own. I collect 1:6 Scale Figures but I may slip in some other scales or props. I just got a new camera and a light box studio to FINALLY take some professional pictures. I thought today would be the day to make my first entry. For this entry since it's the month of October it will be a review on a Classic. What Classic you ask? Well Universal Monsters! I could of picked some Modern Horror figures to review like Jason or Freddy but nope. This is perfect! For this Blog entry I will be reviewing the Sideshow Collectibles Universal Monsters: Silver Screen Edition Bela Lugosi Dracula 1:6 Scale Figure! Yes an oldie but a good one at that! Let's get onto the review shall we?

"I bid you...welcome."-Bela Lugosi​

Back in the day Sideshow produced some very nice pieces. Many at that but the line that has always caught my eye as "Grails" was indeed the Universal Monsters line! They made many pieces from the line but sadly around 2008-2009 they stopped making more Monsters and Characters from the classic films we love. Today I'll be review the Sideshow Collectibles Universal Monsters: Silver Screen Edition Bela Lugosi Dracula 1:6 Scale Figure! You must all know who Bela Lugosi is. Do you? Yes you must! He is an icon of what a Vampire should be! He started it all even though Nosferatu came first. Lugosi's Dracula stuck more as a pop culture trademark. It all started in 1931. A film that would make a landmark in history. One of the first sound films made. From silent to sound. It was a huge deal at the time. Directed by Tom Browning starring Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula, Dwight Frye as Renfield and Edward Van Sloan as Van Helsing. These men have made a landmark in the Universal Monsters Legacy and all return in other Universal Films. The film released on February 12th, 1931 and was a hit. Making a legacy that still lives on today by die hard fans. Now since you know the history. Why don't we movie onto the figure shall we? Does it hold up to today's standards or does it really show it's age? Let's find out!​

Packaging: 5/5

Sideshow back in the day made some great packaging. I always loved the window box style look and the way it housed the figure. The box here is excellent. Since this is the Silver Screen Edition, It displays a different design than the colored version. It sticks with the rest of the Silver Screen line. Box is in Black n White. A very nice picture of Bela on the front with his name scrolled down the left side. On the top left it reads Dracula but the text has a silver shine to it making it very much pop. Universal Monsters Logo above Lugosi's name. Top quality as the back has another nice still of Bela. Dracula name wrapping around the sides, top, bottom along with the Universal Monsters Logo. A flap opens to reveal the figure which is house in a clamshell tray. Very nice and on the side it has another image of Bela with the cast and crew that made the film. At the top in text it reads Silver Screen Edition. Overall packaging is flawless and very cool. I would like to add that the box has a cool cobblestone effect going around the whole box which adds Classic Monsters to the theme! If you were to keep your figure unopened. It would look very nice. Excellent job! The box just screams quality!
13zo8z6.jpg

i3ubeo.jpg

1zxa83d.jpg

30cvqzm.jpg

Sculpt/Paint: 5/5

Now this figure may have been made back In 2001 but for an old piece. It really holds up well. What can I say about the sculpt? It looks fantastic! The artist captured Lugosi perfectly. The wrinkle detail along with his facial structure is perfect. Totally looks like Lugosi. The sinister smile is a signature of his and really makes the figure stand out. Hands are very nicely detailed. Most of the older Sideshow figures reuse the same hands but here they added on his left hand his signature ring. Very nicely done that Sideshow made the extra effort for accuracy. Paint on the head and hands are excellent. Not much to say since it's in Black n White. The figure is based in a Grey paint with some black shadings. The hair itself is full black but it really makes the figure pop. Looks stunning! No complaints. It's clean and perfect.
2itoqj8.jpg

2rxuvrb.jpg

10ggp09.jpg

Outfit/Clothing: 5/5

Sideshow back in the day made some great outfits for there figures. Hot Toys has the upper hand now but in the 2000, Sideshow hit the outfits out of the park especially on the Universal Monsters line. Here's a great example of a very well done outfit. Dracula comes in his signature suit. Since this is the Silver Screen Edition, The outfit will be in Black n White. The tailoring is out of this world. The suit is very well done. The buttons are nicely detailed as is his bowtie. Vest underneath is well done. His signature necklace is very nicely detailed and hangs around his neck. Pants are stitched well and the boots are very well sculpted. I haven't seen these boots before so it definitely will get an extra point! As I have stated. Most of the time Sideshow would have reused parts like the hands and especially boots/shoes. Here looks to be totally new. His signature cape is very well stitched. It comes in the box folded underneath the cobblestone stand so you must tie it on yourself. Again it's very well tailored and the silver fabric on the inside very much pops. Not much more to say since it is just a Black n White outfit but at that it's still very well done. Simplistic but effective. Very accurate to the film​
.​
359ibnn.jpg

2eyzyuh.jpg

2gujd7d.jpg

mkku10.jpg

Articulation: 3/5

Here's where the score goes down a bit. Probably Sideshow's worst problem with there 1:6 line was the Buck Bodies. They are just Horrible. Articulation is pretty good on Dracula. You can get him in some very neat poses and if you just mess around with him long enough you'll be satisfied. The nitpick I really have with some of these old figures is one leg is longer than the other. That just really irritates me! It's hard for them to stand up and even the cobble base don't help at all. That's the only downside really. I won't get to much into articulation. You can achieve some great poses but it will be a hassle to keep him up. During the photo shoot. Dracula kept falling down causing hours of pain to get the pictures taken. Again, Sideshow's Buck bodies are alright but not a True Type.​

54hcfa.jpg

jf84ew.jpg

2ih1405.jpg

Accessories: 3/5

Alright here's a category I love. Accessories! Now with this figure you get jack sadly. I always love when there are tons of display options but in Dracula's case. There really is nothing. He includes a couple of rats and a huge bat. All 3 are very well sculpted and painted. Has some nice grey/black shading, especially the bat looks nice. Most of the Universal Monster figures will have the rats so they are just a reuse item. The bat is new I believe and only you can get it with Dracula. The Cobblestone foot stand is nicely sculpted and detail but doesn't hold the figure up so it is useless. The cape was packaged separately from the figure but it's more of an outfit so not going to consider it apart of this category. Overall not a lot with this one. The rats and bat are nice which can add some great scenery but nothing more. Sideshow could of included a Candle for him to hold or the House documents that Renfield gives to him. That would of been nice.​
vhb9dk.jpg

Overall score: 19/25

Overall the figure is a true classic! A score of 19 out of a possible 25. It's a high score for an old figure. If you are a Universal Monsters fan. This is a must have! If you collect the Classics than you should add this to your collection. You can find Dracula for a pretty good price. eBay is the way to go. I got mine for about $94 shipped straight to my house. You can find him for around $90-$100 or even cheaper if you look around. He's worth the money but I say find a good deal that you are satisfied with. The Silver Screen version will be a little more money than the colored but it would be worth it. If you can get both I say get both! I have much more to get from this line. It truly is a fantastic line to collect. So many great ones to still pick up. Universal Monsters will forever be my favorite and this figure is proudly displayed in my collection. Bela Lugosi made a legacy with Dracula. His Legacy will continue to live on for years to come. Thanks for reading and much more to come! This isn't the last Blog I do. It's only the beginning. I have a lot more coming very soon. I hope you enjoyed my review! Thanks!​

Ryan​

Nicely done Ryan!
I love everything that's Universal Monster Classics related. This one is quite a gem.
Thanks for sharing.

Centurion;bt1149 said:
Nicely done Ryan!
I love everything that's Universal Monster Classics related. This one is quite a gem.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Centurion! Very much appreciate it.

Back