Sideshow Cad Bane The Clone Wars Animated 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blame on HT Cad Bane is on showrunners of BOBF, not Hot Toys honestly. But Hot Toys deserves every blame for that Kenobi headsculpt, though.

The other thing you have to consider is how much "vegan leather" there is on this figure.

397726-c4.jpg

397727-c5.jpg

Consider also for a moment, if this sells well Sideshow will be flaying a lot of vegans to harvest that leather.

Think of the vegans...
They can flay this vegan all they like as long as the final product looks good 👍

What are the bodies like on more recent SS figures ? Still that floppy garbage ?

I wonder what the chances are that they use the same tall body as HT ? Maybe they came to an agreement on that ??
The Sideshow Skiff Lando is a very solid piece, no loose joints.

Sideshows aliens/non human characters come out better than their human sculpts. Even if this isn’t hot toys quality, paint wise, which it won’t be - I still think it’ll look good.
This is why I’m not discounting the figure just yet. Hopefully it turns out decently. Sideshow does seem to have a better track record when they don’t have to sculpt a human likeness.

The only connections I have for this character are its inspirations. Not HT's fault, but the design for theirs just seems ugh. This to me is more aesthetically pleasing. Sadly, it's being made by SS.

Not interested in this version of CB but I fall in the camp that SS has done a pretty good job here. I don't expect much of a drop from proto to prod on this one.

Can the hat be swapped over to HT's?...

Yep. I mean Hot Toys only copied what they got in live action. It's really on Filoni and co at Disney for making the live action Bane so much different to the Clone Wars look. Despite this race being in the OT already.

That live action hat looks even more comical next to the SS proto. o_O
So many of the on screen choices they made for characters were head scratchers. Take the trandosian aliens for example. They look nothing like Bossk from the movies. The Gamorean guards were also a bad design choice. Not to mention the frumpy scout troopers. And of course Cad Bane.

I get why they did it but it really throws off the continuity of the universe when you start altering the designs of well established characters and aliens. I’m disappointed in Dave Filoni because he should know better. Even though I’m sure he was probably making comprises based on production budgets. You can’t make characters who look like 80’s full masks talk with moving mouths without CGI or no mouth movement at all today. George did it creatively back in the day but modern audiences won’t put up with it.

So many of the on screen choices they made for characters were head scratchers. Take the trandosian aliens for example. They look nothing like Bossk from the movies. The Gamorean guards were also a bad design choice. Not to mention the frumpy scout troopers. And of course Cad Bane.

I get why they did it but it really throws off the continuity of the universe when you start altering the designs of well established characters and aliens. I’m disappointed in Dave Filoni because he should know better. Even though I’m sure he was probably making comprises based on production budgets. You can’t make characters who look like 80’s full masks talk with moving mouths without CGI or no mouth movement at all today. George did it creatively back in the day but modern audiences won’t put up with it.

Trandoshans badly needed updating for modern capabilities. There is no way today's audiences would put with the OT's version of Bossk, its just too primitive. We love it, but that's nostalgia. So while I felt BoBF's Trandoshans could still do with improvement, the idea that they got updated didnt surprise me.

IM MY OPINION, this is just me mind you! really, Trandoshans should be a cross between the OT lizards and really.... yautja. Not looks-wise so much, but this species are also arboreal hunters with capabilities far, far in excess of what the average human can do. Trandoshans have un-augmented infrared vision, they can jump like 50 feet, they're several times stronger than humans. They spend their lives hunting, and to them we are just one more thing to hunt. They're absolutely to be feared and the mere sight of one should make humans go, Oh sh**. Like yautja.

When Black Kroissanwich ripped that Trandoshan's arm off in BoBF, that was just one more thing to roll eyes about. Not that he was victorious, I understand B.K. to canonically be a serious problem, but he should have gotten way more fight than he did.

I just wanted to point out that Cad Bane's hat had significantly reduced in size by his last appearance in the Clone Wars animation. It was not shrunk for his appearance in BoBF, it happened in the original animated series. It was similarly small in Bad Batch.

If he made that fashion switch back during the Clone Wars, I think it's fine that he didn't decide to once again adopt giant hats many decades later.

Ps. This prototype figure looks absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
I‘ve found the reverse to be true personally, but I suppose that would depend on what the pleather was used for and what era the figures are from.

Sideshow pleather tends to be very thin and Hot Toys pleather used to be worse so perhaps comparable to each up to a certain point.

But Hot Toys pleather and textiles have improved a bit over the years (though still not without issues). I don’t think the same could be said of Sideshow since they stopped focusing on their in-house 1:6 figures.
True and everyone's experience with pleather tends to be different whether it's by company or even by individual figure. For me, newer HT pleather has had more issues than older HT pleather. My DX06 and DX05 belts all have flaked, original Winter Soldier jacket/vest has fallen apart, my ANH Han Solo boots cracked as well as the glove pieces on original ANH Vader. But my original HT AWE Jack Sparrow belts look like new oddly enough 🤔 . But of all the Sideshow pieces I've owned, not one cracked/flaked. Even my extra old LOTR PFs are still intact (thankfully).

True and everyone's experience with pleather tends to be different whether it's by company or even by individual figure. For me, newer HT pleather has had more issues than older HT pleather. My DX06 and DX05 belts all have flaked, original Winter Soldier jacket/vest has fallen apart, my ANH Han Solo boots cracked as well as the glove pieces on original ANH Vader. But my original HT AWE Jack Sparrow belts look like new oddly enough 🤔 . But of all the Sideshow pieces I've owned, not one cracked/flaked. Even my extra old LOTR PFs are still intact (thankfully).

Sorry to hear about those figures. Do you still have them? Have you repaired or replaced the pleather parts? At least the AWE Jack has survived, which is surprising considering its age.

Are you referring to DX06, DX05, Winter Soldier, Han, and Vader when you say issues with newer figures? They're all just about a decade old or getting very close. Time flies.

I would say it's only in the last couple of years that they've made more attempts at improving material durability. Around when they started phasing out older style full rubber suits for their new synthetic material.

Do you still have Sideshow figures or just PFs? Awesome that the LOTR PFs are still going strong which is how it should be.

I don't have any older statues left myself, but I've had a few pleather Sideshow figure parts disintegrate. Mostly holsters.

Not interested in this version of CB but I fall in the camp that SS has done a pretty good job here. I don't expect much of a drop from proto to prod on this one.

Can the hat be swapped over to HT's?...
Yeah I don't really see this dropping off much either, since he doesn't have a very complex paint job to begin with. Maybe the tailoring won't be quite as sharp as we see here, but I think there's a bit more leeway in an outfit like this compared to some Jedi robes or what Ahsoka's wearing.

Sorry to hear about those figures. Do you still have them? Have you repaired or replaced the pleather parts? At least the AWE Jack has survived, which is surprising considering its age.

Are you referring to DX06, DX05, Winter Soldier, Han, and Vader when you say issues with newer figures? They're all just about a decade old or getting very close. Time flies.

I would say it's only in the last couple of years that they've made more attempts at improving material durability. Around when they started phasing out older style full rubber suits for their new synthetic material.

Do you still have Sideshow figures or just PFs? Awesome that the LOTR PFs are still going strong which is how it should be.

I don't have any older statues left myself, but I've had a few pleather Sideshow figure parts disintegrate. Mostly holsters.
Wow true now that you mention it. I guess when I think of old, I’m thinking back in 2008-2010ish when HT was really taking off.

But yea, I’ve pretty much replaced all Indy’s gear with real leather. I got HT replacements for DX06 Jack, though I do plan on commissioning someone to make real leather versions eventually. And Rise collectibles is/has taken care of the other ones with real leather bits as well thankfully.

I currently only have mostly newer sideshow figures (ROTJ Luke and Vader and comic figures) with the exception of their original DC comic figures that are now fairly old pieces. I had many of their original Star Wars figures up until HT officially got the license when it was clear we were going to get more than just DX07. But up until that point, I had no problem with the pleather on any of those.

What’s interesting to me is how usually it’s only certain pleather parts of figures that flake sometimes. Like how for Termiantor it tends to be the belt, but the jacket and pants on the mms T2 figure seem to hold up really well. And while I think I just got a bad one out of the bunch, my Endgame Cap belt has cracked ever so slightly at the bottom edge near the buckle. But I think that was an issue right out of the box that I never really noticed until recently since I’ve been thinking about customizing it and have been looking it over more closely than when I originally purchased it.

But again, everyone’s mileage really does vary when it comes to pleather flaking. Though I’ve gone more and more on the offensive than I used to with applying protectant over the faux leather bits having bought older figures the past couple of months.

What is Sideshow’s Cyclops’ leather jacket made of?
That’s fantastic so, if Bane’s clothing is made from the same ‘leather-like material’ they’re referring to in the video, his outfit should hold up well.

Back