1/6 Sideshow 1:6 Indiana Jones - Temple of Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the eye the contrast between the 'stain' and the rest of the shirt isn't as pronounced as it appears in the photo.

But what I'm finding with this camera is that it's very good at picking out even subtle weathering whereas the old camera would've usually washed it out, as has happened to some of the DX05 photos at the beginning of that thread.

With a little help some my friends and my bank account this one is finally done.
IMG_20231020_133819332.jpg

Sorry to bump the thread with just random thoughts, but, since I'm still tweaking with this figure, I come across things I wish Sideshow would do for a 2.0 that could be just minor fixes based on their work of the recent Clint Eastwood figures that could really bump this figure up. And with SS having an Ash 2.0 coming at some point as well as another Snake Plissken, I feel like there could be chance for a TOD Indy 2.0. Of course, we'd probably want a redo from top to bottom, but this is Sideshow and I wouldn't expect too much effort put into one beyond what they've shown they're currently capable of.

I just got a lot of parts from their Josey Wales figure and while the paint isn't HT/InArt level it's leaps and bounds better than anything I've had from them in the past, particularly that of the body and the hands. The handsculpts are also really well done and scaled better than what SS had with the original figure. Oddly enough, the factory paint job on the TOD Indy sculpt matches pretty close in tone (but not quality) to that of the Josey Wales.

So, below is my list of what I would have SS "fix" if they were going to do the minimum which are mostly cosmetic:
  • Body with matching paint apps that are as good as the Josey Wales figure. And keep the sleeved arm fully articulated while the expose arm stays the sculpted muscular arm - sort of like what they did with their Ash figure
  • Match the paint apps across the entire figure. One of my biggest pet peeves with the stock figure is how all the exposed skin tones are different from the headsculpt, neck/chestpiece, arms, color of the wrist joints and then the hands. Add blood paint to the back of the rubber chest piece and paint the exposed knee better as well.
  • Use the newly sculpted hands they've been using for the Clint Eastwood line and just add the wrapping sculpt detail or do that out of fabric.
  • Newly sculpted hat
Honorable Mentions:
  • Enlarging the head or at least the opening of the head, so it sits lower on the neck
  • Get the hairpiece to sit better onto the headsculpt reducing the seam
  • Chrome the blade of the metal machete
I know there's more that could ideally be done, but I feel the above is the bare minimum Sideshow could do

A v2 would be interesting to see. The pants are already terrific but the shirt could be more refined 10 years later or so. And some of the accessories could be improved -- bag strap, whips, hat of course, dull metal tone of the machete.

The head sculpt was actually pretty nice, let down by some aspects of the paint and suffered really from the size and the oversized hat, would be interesting to see a new sculpt attempted though at this point given those issues.

I'd see them doing a Last Crusade to finish off the Original trilogy. Then possibly if that sold well enough a Raiders 2.0. I don't know if they'd go the distance and do another TOD 2.0 though. Maybe.

Or maybe Hot Toys will do them? I'd say it's almost a guarantee now that they've sorted the Ford likeness issue. They'll wiat for Dial of Destiny to release/in hand to collectors and then announce a young [OT] Indy. They've pulled that stunt with the DX10 / DX13 all those years back.

A v2 would be interesting to see. The pants are already terrific but the shirt could be more refined 10 years later or so. And some of the accessories could be improved -- bag strap, whips, hat of course, dull metal tone of the machete.

The head sculpt was actually pretty nice, let down by some aspects of the paint and suffered really from the size and the oversized hat, would be interesting to see a new sculpt attempted though at this point given those issues.
Agreed on that. Just not sure how far they'd if they were to do a sort of 2.0 figure given Beetlejuice only got a new head from what we can tell. The shirt definitely needs the sharper tailoring that we know they're capable of so that would also be a nice upgrade.

I still think this TOD headsculpt is one of the better Indy/Ford headsculpts we've gotten. As you said, just suffered from paint apps and sizing mostly.

I'd see them doing a Last Crusade to finish off the Original trilogy. Then possibly if that sold well enough a Raiders 2.0. I don't know if they'd go the distance and do another TOD 2.0 though. Maybe.
Only reason I don't think Sideshow would go for Raiders or a whole new figure on Last Crusade is simply b/c they haven't done it already on their newer bodies, hand types, artbox style, etc., not to mention the stronger possibility that HT would revisit Raiders instead.

Currently, Sideshow doesn't seem to be teasing at revisiting any of the figures from the Prometheus body era which Raiders and KOTCS figures are from. Ash, Snake Plissken and Beetlejuice are from the sort of newer era of figures for them which are getting a 2.0-Beetlejuice being the only one we've seen so far but the others have been teased. TOD Indy is also from that same "era," if you will, which is why I think he'd be more likely to get a 2.0 (or really just a 1.5 if they just do a new headsculpt like Beetlejuice) than other versions of past Indy figures.

Anyway, it was just random thoughts after handling a lot of parts from the newer Clint Eastwood figures.

Agreed on that. Just not sure how far they'd if they were to do a sort of 2.0 figure given Beetlejuice only got a new head from what we can tell. The shirt definitely needs the sharper tailoring that we know they're capable of so that would also be a nice upgrade.

I still think this TOD headsculpt is one of the better Indy/Ford headsculpts we've gotten. As you said, just suffered from paint apps and sizing mostly.

Only reason I don't think Sideshow would go for Raiders or a whole new figure on Last Crusade is simply b/c they haven't done it already on their newer bodies, hand types, artbox style, etc., not to mention the stronger possibility that HT would revisit Raiders instead.

Currently, Sideshow doesn't seem to be teasing at revisiting any of the figures from the Prometheus body era which Raiders and KOTCS figures are from. Ash, Snake Plissken and Beetlejuice are from the sort of newer era of figures for them which are getting a 2.0-Beetlejuice being the only one we've seen so far but the others have been teased. TOD Indy is also from that same "era," if you will, which is why I think he'd be more likely to get a 2.0 (or really just a 1.5 if they just do a new headsculpt like Beetlejuice) than other versions of past Indy figures.

Anyway, it was just random thoughts after handling a lot of parts from the newer Clint Eastwood figures.
My thinking is the opposite. They would likely do Last Crusade as they haven't done it and would finish out the OT first before doing 2.0s

Raiders 2.0 would more likely from Hot Toys as well imo. Or a TOD from HT would be epic.

Did they tease a new Snake Plisken? Or Ash? I know I saw a Premium Format teased but didn't hear about another 1:6 offering.

My thinking is the opposite. They would likely do Last Crusade as they haven't done it and would finish out the OT first before doing 2.0s

Raiders 2.0 would more likely from Hot Toys as well imo. Or a TOD from HT would be epic.

Did they tease a new Snake Plisken? Or Ash? I know I saw a Premium Format teased but didn't hear about another 1:6 offering.
On Ash-you're correct, the official tease was for a PF. But, I thought 1/6 was rumored as well? 🤔 Escape from New York is said to be a whole line of collectibles.

But, the whole point of my original post was simply thoughts on how easily a spruced up upgraded TOD Indy could be done by Sideshow if they were to simply implement what they've done with the latest Clint Eastwood figures to the existing TOD figure with what would appear to be minimal effort on their end rather than whole new TOD figure top to bottom or from one of the other Indy movies. And going by the recent Beetlejuice 2.0, minimal changes is what they'd probably be after.

No one is right or wrong here though as it's all speculative. I was only sharing how impressed I was with the Clint Eastwood stuff and thought about how nice it would be if TOD were to get the same treatment.

Last edited:
On Ash-you're correct, the official tease was for a PF. But, I thought 1/6 was rumored as well? 🤔 Escape from New York is said to be a whole line of collectibles.

But, the whole point of my original post was simply thoughts on how easily a spruced up upgraded TOD Indy could be done by Sideshow if they were to simply implement what they've done with the latest Clint Eastwood figures to the existing TOD figure with what would appear to be minimal effort on their end rather than whole new TOD figure top to bottom or from one of the other Indy movies. And going by the recent Beetlejuice 2.0, minimal changes is what they'd probably be after.

No one is right or wrong here though as it's all speculative. I was only sharing how impressed I was with the Clint Eastwood stuff and thought about how nice it would be if TOD were to get the same treatment.
I think any Indy from SS or HT would be miles better than what either have done in the past. So it would be welcomed announcement for sure!

Back