Shazam 2 : Fury of the Gods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawson85tr

Freaked Out
Reaction score
First of all my expectation were quite low when I go to this movie but it contains everything that a superhero should give to us

There was outstanding effects a god damn badass cgi dragon good actresses such as Lucy Liu and Helen Mirren and this was the best cameo showed up at the end of movie Gal Gadot showed up as Wonder Woman and all of us has goosebumps and I can’t describe my level of satisfaction all over when the movie was over saddest part is we still didn’t have a good Shazam figure hope movie gets a success and Hot Toys this time releases a battle damage Shazam figure

I could just say this was one of the best DC movies at all I strongly advise you to see it guys

I enjoyed it, but it looks like this is the end of "Shazam!" this go around. The stink of the previous DC is all over this unfortunately, and it's tanking at the box office.

Thought it was a pretty fun movie. Nothing that special or original, and the story dragged a bit more than the first one did, but it still worked well enough in the end.

And wow, I didn't think anything would top that Cavill cameo at the end of Black Adam, but this one definitely did and actually had me tearing up a bit at the sight of her.

It was entertaining, but definitely not as good as the first. Biggest problem was a lot of the humor didn't hit. Oh, and WB...don't release a movie the same weekend as the start of the NCAA tournament. Probably one of the reasons it's tanking.

Yea, it was entertaining. Not as cringe inducing as the trailers made it seem. I do wish they made Shazam a bit less of a dork. Kid Billy Batson isn't that spastic or idiotic. The cgi was actually pretty good for a comic book movie.

Michael Gray, who played Billy in the original TV made a neat cameo, calling Shazam Captain Marvel!

A big 3 character showed up and dun dun dunnnnnnn didn't have their head cropped off.

But yea, this is bombing so prolly the end for Shazam.

Yeah that's been my biggest issue with these movies. Shazam should come across more like a wholesome, likable, excited kid but this version is more of a cartoonish idiot and joke machine that you kinda have a hard time rooting for. And it just feels like a totally different character than the Billy Batson we see in teenager form.

Probably shouldn't have cast a dude in his 40s for the role. In the trailers he looks significantly older than the first movie. Oh well. Shazam was never a strong enough character to be a franchise anyway.

Did they not market this thing? I don't remember hearing about it. Didn't even know it was coming out. :oops:

Director released a statement over the abysmal box office…this is actually real lol:

“No worries. It’s not like this comes as a surprise. I saw where this was heading a long time ago. I’ll be alright though. I got paid all my money upfront.”

Director released a statement over the abysmal box office…this is actually real lol:

“No worries. It’s not like this comes as a surprise. I saw where this was heading a long time ago. I’ll be alright though. I got paid all my money upfront.”
Lol wow. I thought Sony was bad. Basically saying
“I knew it would suck but I got paid so I do t care about the numbers. Peace”

Did they not market this thing? I don't remember hearing about it. Didn't even know it was coming out. :oops:

The prevailing rumor I keep hearing is that Gunn has been pushed to create the DCEU version of the "Kelvin Timeline", i.e. the workaround that JJ Abrams used in the 2009 Star Trek reboot. That allowed new stories with new characters, but preserved a version of the TOS and canon in another somewhat accessible reality in the world building.

If you think about it, it does make some sense. Pattinson and Phoenix could then enter the more mainstream DCEU and exit it at will. Gunn can have his own vision of the DC world while leaving the door open for Cavill, Gadot, Affleck, etc, etc to make some kind of cameo or partial return. This could alleviate some hard blood by fans more invested in the Snyder version of things.

I can see the resistance though. There are no stakes if anyone can return at any time. If RDJ can simply return at Iron Man if his own real life career stalls and he needs the money, then what was the point of his end resolution during End Game?

But I can see IMHO, the desire to burn off the IP, there's no real star power here. No real sequel potential. And no real merchandising bonanza like a Baby Yoda or a Frozen situation.

Shazam has the problem of being perceived as a dollar store Superman. Fair or not, the average movie goer might lean that way. Still a big believer you stick with your best actors no matter what. So for the sequel, I would have liked to see Helen Mirren headline the film. That's a clearly rough fit though. The Shazam films are good family movies. But to garner box office, I hate to say it, they need a tween appeal to co-anchor the cast. Someone like Kendall Jenner.

I'm not a huge fan of stunt casting, but a ten second snippet of Taylor Swift probably salvaged most of the box office for that film, The Giver. I mean even Meryl Streep couldn't save that film on her own.

Sounds like this is basically dead on arrival. I never was interested in this. I thought the first film was overall underwhelming.
I thought the first one was fairly entertaining, but it didn't exactly have me clamoring for a sequel. And given the box office I'm not sure why the studio even bothered with one. Unless they just felt obligated to with it being one of their best reviewed DC movies.

There’s too many factors against it. It’s a DCEU film with us knowing the DCEU is rapidly ending. It’s a sequel to a film that didn’t exactly set the box office on fire. Too many mediocre superhero films have sapped enthusiasm. Limited (non-existent?) marketing during peak release season. Almost zero merch on store shelves.

It sucks. I hope whatever DC universe we have in future movies has a place for the Big Red Cheese.

If it was in any way a decent movie, they wouldn't have dumped it in the movie graveyard of late winter releases. January to March is where they dump all the crap they know won't perform and won't win any awards.

I just saw this last night. I wasn't planning to but my kids really wanted to see this so we did. I was glad I did.

It was really fun and yes that cameo in the end was much better than Black Adam's cameo. It's a shame this is tanking in the box office. I feel like the general audience (like me) did not give this film the chance it deserves.

I just saw this last night. I wasn't planning to but my kids really wanted to see this so we did. I was glad I did.

It was really fun and yes that cameo in the end was much better than Black Adam's cameo. It's a shame this is tanking in the box office. I feel like the general audience (like me) did not give this film the chance it deserves.

Unfortunately, I think it’s a victim of Warner Bros Discovery announcing ahead of time that they’re dumping the old DCEU. Even with the caveat that some of the characters might carry over, it’s too confusing for people to try to follow and I think a lot have people have opted to sit out the last few movies of the old DCEU and wait until the the new DCU starts. The same thing happened with towards the end of the Fox X-Men universe. It’s unfortunate in this case, because I think had Gunn and Safron waited a little longer before confirming any of their plans, they wouldn’t have undermined the box office performance. I don’t think it’s the only reason for Shazam 2’s low box office and I don’t think it was an intentional undermining, but I definitely think it has had a negative impact.

Back