Safest way to clean statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md99

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong subforum but if anyone would know its you guys who make your own pieces. I've returned home after a few months away and unfortunately a bit of dampness has occured in the room I keep my statues in. Most are fine but a few of them, resin based, have become a bit grubby. I've used water based baby wipes with no chemicals to clean down a Gaming Heads Lara Croft statue and it seems to be fine but am a but aprehensive about using it on some of my more expensive, rarer pieces.

Are the wipes okay? Will they remove paint or damage it long term? Basically what is the absolute safest way to clean them? Also, what could I use to safely get into some of the tiny nooks and crannies on my pieces?

Thanks for your time.

Not sure about grit if it's stuck to the surface, but dust and other loose particles can be brushed away with a makeup brush.

Not sure about grit if it's stuck to the surface, but dust and other loose particles can be brushed away with a makeup brush.

It was actually mildew stuck to the surface of them. I was horrified. I've moved them to a safe area and will investigate the underlying cause. I use an anti-static blusher brush for dust. No after problems with my Lara statue so far. I think I may be safe using water based baby wipes, maybe a micro-fibre cloth for drying too.

Can anyone confirm if this is okay?

If they are made from plastic or Polystone Resin you can just Wash them with warm soapy water. Use a soft toothbrush or even a paint/makeup brush

my PVC figures I get from Japan are sometimes sticky and I soak them in Degreaser and then wash they with a soft toothbrush and dish sop and none of the paint comes off.

Also if one of my figs is super dusty and a soft paintbrush doesn't take it off i just use the soft toothbrush and wash it.

For the clothing i would wash anything that is just fabric Don't wash the parts that look like they are "leather" it is usually just a top part and it will come right off.

Ant' nothing gunna take they paint of but As atone or Oven Cleaner

It seems to me that everything that is made of plastic can be perfectly cleaned with steam. These paints must be heat-resistant (as opposed to mechanical damage). You can simply steam it to avoid scratches and chips. You can see one of the options for how to do it. This is the most convenient for me.

Back