Reinforce shelves .. advice (PAX)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NullMind

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am getting some PAX cabinets, 1m wide, I am looking for advice on how to reinforce the shelves, as some will take on 20KG+

Any advise appreciated

Carlos (Null)

I also would like to know how everyone has reinforced their PAX shelving, as I will be purchasing a PAX system myself, once we move into a new house.
The best reinforcement I could find in my research is a thread from this website

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...your-collectibles/113791-display-info-46.html

Patriot666 gives a good explanation of how he reinforced his shelves. I plan on doing this to each of my shelves including half shelves I purchase. I dont have much space and want to display as much as I can. Ikea's website says max load for these shelves is 44lbs but once they are reinforced, how much weight do you think they would be able to hold? I read a post where someone stated he had 50-80 lbs on his PAX shelves.

Any other ideas for reinforcement and weight limits (from experience), would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Shaughn

I also would like to know how everyone has reinforced their PAX shelving, as I will be purchasing a PAX system myself, once we move into a new house.
The best reinforcement I could find in my research is a thread from this website

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...your-collectibles/113791-display-info-46.html

Patriot666 gives a good explanation of how he reinforced his shelves. I plan on doing this to each of my shelves including half shelves I purchase. I dont have much space and want to display as much as I can. Ikea's website says max load for these shelves is 44lbs but once they are reinforced, how much weight do you think they would be able to hold? I read a post where someone stated he had 50-80 lbs on his PAX shelves.

Any other ideas for reinforcement and weight limits (from experience), would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Shaughn

Yeah, I intend to do the same using the twin track uprights, I also bought some of these

31Q0LZeU0eL.jpg

The suppose to be rated up to 150kg, so figure between that and the track should allow me a good solid shelf ... I have 1M wide shelves, and need to put two Prime 1 turtles per shelve, hope it's enough, otherwise will be expensive to find out it wasn't !

Yeah i read your other post that you showed how you were going to be displaying your statues. I am currently mapping out how to display mine and distribute the weight the best way possible.

Those brackets look pretty heavy duty. Did you get them from Ikea or a hardware store?

Yeah i read your other post that you showed how you were going to be displaying your statues. I am currently mapping out how to display mine and distribute the weight the best way possible.

Those brackets look pretty heavy duty. Did you get them from Ikea or a hardware store?

I got them from Amazon, supposedly they fit the PAX shelves just right

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008I41RBQ

Do the shelves have inserts for the top peg? or are you going to drill into each shelf?

The PAX support pegs seem to have the same one, 1 cm away (center of peg) ... so I am assuming it has them still :D .. if not i'll drill

ikea_pax_peg_-_Google_Search.jpg

That is awesome. I am trying to find those same support pins, but cant find them on the US Amazon. Those are better than anything I have found currently on amazon. I will check a local hardware store as well, once I am ready to build mine. I plan on starting in about a month.

When are you planning to build yours Null?

That is awesome. I am trying to find those same support pins, but cant find them on the US Amazon. Those are better than anything I have found currently on amazon. I will check a local hardware store as well, once I am ready to build mine. I plan on starting in about a month.

When are you planning to build yours Null?

Well, the good news is that the PAX cabinets were delivered on my other house today, I am flying over to it tomorrow (Sat), so expect me to be building them up on Sunday !! :D

Those she support plugs are by Hafele, you can see them in detail here in the UK website

https://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/p/shelf-support-plug-in-with-thread-for-5-mm-holes/51580/5959

I tried to find them in the US site, but didn't found the ones you screw in, found these instead:

https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product/shelf-support-with-shelf-fixing-plug/28224720

Seems to be similar, but it's a plug in instead of screw in, it should work, I just prefere the screw in ones

I will report back on Sunday night if they were a success :)

Null did you get your PAX built and if so what were the measurements on to the holes on the shelves? I have found some similar to the ones you linked, but they are 12mm depth instead of the 10mm ones you linked. is the hole on the shelf large enough to use a 12mm or does it need to be 10mm depth?

thanks

Null did you get your PAX built and if so what were the measurements on to the holes on the shelves? I have found some similar to the ones you linked, but they are 12mm depth instead of the 10mm ones you linked. is the hole on the shelf large enough to use a 12mm or does it need to be 10mm depth?

thanks

Yes, I got it built, but waiting on the doors that will be here Friday, then I'll do a post on it, it is indeed 10mm, 12mm you will have to drill a little to expand, won't give you the same snug fit

I am having some metal brackets built to reinforce the shelves too, and because of the type of door I decided to go with I actually have to modify the shelves, but I'll put it all in a post over the weekend

But the plugs I listed are just superb, if you can find them, poke me, when I'm back in UK I can buy them for you and ship them over.

yeah really excited I found them. I will be getting them next month when i start building my shelves. I'm really excited to see the brackets you use and did you go with sliding doors or swing doors?

yeah really excited I found them. I will be getting them next month when i start building my shelves. I'm really excited to see the brackets you use and did you go with sliding doors or swing doors?

I went with swing doors, all acrylic, cost a fortune but will be worthy, pics over the weekend when it's completed :)

Wow those door looks sick!! I also need to know about these single panel hinge doors, I dont want to use the sliding doors Ikea shows. Statues keep getting bigger and I dont like having to have the dividers in the doors that i see at Ikea.

Sorry for the delay, but I will do the full write up as a post real soon, just been a bit busy :)

Finished the PAX cabinets, the bottom two shelves on each cabinet have been reenforced with a metal rod to support the heavier statues and it has the acrylic doors, unfortunately we have an issue with the middle light strips who are showing a different light colour, but will be fixed soon ... Loving it ... Only problem, I counted 10 more ¼ statues currently on PO ... They won't fit ... Need more cabinets :)

image.jpg

Back