RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't Look Up - 7/10

Had a fun time watching this. Slightly too long and it's full of unlikeable characters (part of the story). Leo and Lawrence carry it well. Ignore the mixed reviews and give it a go.
It was about an hour longer than it needed to be I reckon, with the last hour spent simply wondering which ending would be served up 'cause nothing of note really happens. The film maintained a really weird narrative rhythm throughout, and as a satire it wasn't as clever as I think it aspired to be. The cast did make it worthwhile despite not being given a lot to work with.

I tried watching Oliver Stone's follow up documentary to JFK.

It was so boring and covered ZERO new ground. I only made it about an hour and turned it off.

Wheelman (Netflix)

Just about the entire movie is shot inside this one dude’s car - clever technically, but also a tense action heist thriller supported by good writing, pacing and performances/10

Silent night deadly night 2: 6.5/10

Not a great movie by any means, and half the movie is just a recut of the first film (though that part is enjoyable)... but the performance by the main psycho alone makes this a distinctive and memorable movie. Well worth watching if you enjoy horror, schlock, or a combination of the two. GARBAGE DAY!

Conan The Barbarian (1982)

8/10 - This testosterone fueled fantasy film is awesome! Lol I haven’t seen this movie since I was a little kid in the late 80’s. I even spotted Sven-Ole Thorsen who is in a lot of movies I like. I got a lot of Skyrim vibes as well. I might have to revisit that game…

Conan The Barbarian (1982)

8/10 - This testosterone fueled fantasy film is awesome! Lol I haven’t seen this movie since I was a little kid in the late 80’s. I even spotted Sven-Ole Thorsen who is in a lot of movies I like. I got a lot of Skyrim vibes as well. I might have to revisit that game…
Conan is one of my favorite fantasy movies. It just has a really cool atmosphere and Skyrim definitely had some Conan vibes. I always hoped HT would've picked up the Conan license back when they were on their Arnold streak a number of years back. I think I will watch this one again soon. Haven't seen it in a while. I never watch the sequel though... I don't like that one.

Arcane - 9.5/10
Not a movie, but a tv-show made for Netflix. And I have to say probably the best TV-show I've seen this year. Let me start by saying I know next to nothing about League of Legends. I know it exists, but what it exactly is, I don't know. A game of some kind, but that's it. Still don't know to be honest. But that doesn't matter. I pretty much loved everything about this show:

• The story was great. There were actual stakes and some great consequenses to actions done and things being said. It was engaging, brutal, funny and sad. I often noticed myself tensing up, or holding my breath. That doesn't happen too often honestly.
  • I loved the characters. There were some really powerful characters, but they felt real. They weren't perfect. They made mistakes. Some which cost them dearly and had tragical consequenses.
  • The animation was absolutely beautiful. I said the same about What If earlier this year, but this is so much better. It looked like a painting came to life and the way they animated some of the emotions on the character's faces was absolutely stunning. I love the style so much, I'm going to try to incorporate some of it in my own drawings.

I hope there will be a second season, but only if they can keep it just as good as this one. It feels like this is a niche show, which hasn't reached the main public (yet). It hasn't blown up like Squid Game has (hated that show) and I'm kinda hoping it won't. Sure it will probably increase the chances of a second season, but I'm afraid it also increases chances of agendas and the message being pushed, none of which was there in this season. So I'd rather have one near-to-perfect season, than have more which in time will diminish everything that came before.

I'd love to have HT get the license and produce some figures of this. I'd love to at least have figures of Vi and Jinx. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe someone else or some third party will make something.

For more than a decade, mainstream CG animation has told one type of story with one look: kid-friendly and big-eyed.

Releases like Arcane, Into The Spiderverse, and Love Death + Robots really give me hope for the future of the medium. Computers give us the ability to tell any story we want with any aesthetic we can imagine, so why limit ourselves to a single audience and style? I'm so glad to see more of that potential being explored.

Heck, a lot of the adaptations coming out of streaming services might be better off as full CG features. If Netflix is still planning a Conan show, I'm beginning to think animating it is more likely to give us the over-the-top, Frazetta-esque adventure we expect. Imagine doing it with live actors and sets, dealing with all the logistical and conceptual hangups live-action adaptations tend to have these days. Ugh, no thanks. Animate it and make it truly fantastic, as it should be.

Last edited:
Gladiator (9/10) this holds up much better than I was expecting. The CG gets a bit wobbly due to the age, but the writing, direction and performances are all amazing. It could have been a disaster, especially with Crowe in the lead but somehow he pulls it off, his laidback style actually works to the films advantage because when he lets it all out he really is phenomenally charismatic and intense. Phoenix is just creepy as hell as this role should be and I really liked Connie Nielsen, in some ways the most complex role in the film. The action scenes stand up extremely well and in 4K the whole thing just pops gloriously. The music as everyone knows is spectacular and the sound design, the surrounds etc are all terrific.

Gladiator (9/10) this holds up much better than I was expecting. The CG gets a bit wobbly due to the age, but the writing, direction and performances are all amazing. It could have been a disaster, especially with Crowe in the lead but somehow he pulls it off, his laidback style actually works to the films advantage because when he lets it all out he really is phenomenally charismatic and intense. Phoenix is just creepy as hell as this role should be and I really liked Connie Nielsen, in some ways the most complex role in the film. The action scenes stand up extremely well and in 4K the whole thing just pops gloriously. The music as everyone knows is spectacular and the sound design, the surrounds etc are all terrific.
LoL wut? Did you see him in Romper Stomper? That role was all intensity and charisma.

LoL wut? Did you see him in Romper Stomper? That role was all intensity and charisma.
Yes he was amazing in that but Gladiator was a completely different film, more like an old school Charlton Heston epic and on the face of it, Crowe does not seem like the best choice for the role. I never said he wasn’t terrific in the role, just that the whole thing could have been laughable if they had not handled it the way they did.

Their version of Robin Hood, for example, just made me cringe, and I never once believed him in that role.

Watched a few films lately, but two really stood out positively for me:

The Last Duel
Brilliant, brilliant movie. It's a crying shame it bombed box-office wise, because it's one of Scott's best movies. The cinematography is (as expected) beautiful, the score a bit on the bland side, but where it really shines is in the acting and the script. The way the story unfolds, and how each character is portrayed and presented throughout the three segments of the movie is brilliant. And what I found most impressive is that at no point do they fall to the temptation of portraying anyone in a manner at odds with the era they are representing. Matt Damon as Jean de Carrouges is an unlikeable brute, Adam Driver as Jaques LeGris is charming and perfectly credible in his self-denial and Jamie Comer as Marguerite is perfect as the docile but proud wife. Oh, and Affleck is great as the dissolute Count Pierre.
The editing and pacing are also excellent, as at first is seems slightly disjointed, but as each story is told, the whole falls perfectly into place. Truly magnificent. 9.5/10

The Power of the Dog
I think this is my first Jane Campion film, and man, what a first experience... Everybody acts amazingly, the story is told in such an understated manner, yet with such simple clarity that it just sucks you in. Cumberbatch and Kodi kid are really fantastic in their roles, especially Cumberbatch. Seeing him in this movie reminded me of an old Brando interview, where he told the host how you should always try to surprise your audience, always do something unexpected. Anyway, effing brilliant movie. 9.5/10

I also saw House of Gucci.
While Lady Gaga and Leto are quite good (Leto in an over-the-top, comical way), Driver really steals the show, although it's hard to understand his change of heart, as it comes so suddenly. I also looked the true story up, and other than the key facts, the movie has very little to do with reality... but it's entertaining and it's got a great soundtrack. 7/10

And finally, I watched Don't Look Up.
It's not bad at all, but it's also a very far cry from Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb), which some "critic" had the audacity to compare this to. It has none of the subtle commentary, none of the clever wit, none of the subversive humour of Dr. Strangelove. I suppose it's a sad sign of the times that a movie so obvious and in-your-face is what is needed to get a message across. However, the cast does a good job with what they have to work with. 5.5/10

Oh, and Conan '82 is simply brilliant. 10/10:yess:

Rogue One - 8/10
Not much to say about this. I like it a lot. Love the feel of the classics it manages to replicate while still introducing some new designs and spaceships. Also a great (space)battle in the end.

Richard Jewell - 7/10
Never heard of this story before, but it made for a good watch.

Official Secrets - 7.5/10
Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Keire Knightley in this one. I mostly know her from the PotC movies, but this was definitely something different. Quite an interesting film.

The Cable Guy - 5/10
It has been many years since I last saw this. I think it is a weird film. On the one hand it wants to be a comedy, on the other almost a serious thriller but because of that it feels a bit disjointed.

Been busy …

Freaky - 7/10 most modern horror films have been leaving me cold lately but this is a lot of fun. Nothing particularly new but really well made. Vince Vaughn is particularly good.

The Outsiders - 8/10 this one is a rose colored glasses thing. I read and watched this when I was maybe 13 and had a lasting impact on me. Incredibly well directed, obviously, by Coppola and the cast is extraordinary.

Judas The Black Messiah - 7.5/10 really terrific film about Fred Hampton who was Black Panthers chair in Illinois. Daniel Kaluuya is extraordinary in the role.

Beverly Hills Cop 3 4/10 - absolute rubbish. Only the first one is a great film. Only watch it for the ridiculous George Lucas cameo!

Promising Young Woman 8/10 - one of the best films of last year. Confronting stuff about toxic behavior and lots of other things as well. Bowled over seeing Clancy Brown play an utterly normal dad!

Rear Window 9/10 - classic. The 4K is a bit disappointing, too many poor looking shots.

The French Dispatch - 7/10 too much like Grand Budapest Hotel but still incredibly entertaining.

Don't Look Up- enjoyed immensely/10

There will be scenes and lines that hit me in the middle of the day and I just start laughing. I enjoyed everyone's performance and it just gets funnier the more I think about it.

R.I.P.D. - 6/10
It's not a good movie. I watched it years ago when it came out and didn't really like it. Saw it was on Netflix yesterday and figured I'd give it another chance. I enjoyed it quite a bit. CGI was a bit iffy and Ryan Reynolds is just Ryan Reynolds again, but nevertheless I liked it. Jeff Bridges stole the show.

Back