RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeview Terrace - 5/10
It was an ok watch. The whole idea of a (in this case pretty much untoucheable) terrorizing neighbour is quite scary actually. I can imagine things like this happening more often than we think.

The Banshees of Inisherin: 7/10
Fantastically acted, and a good story very well constructed, but it didn't fully resonate with me. So, it gets a high score for technical execution but loses points for not being something I loved or really want to see again. I saw it was nominated as a comedy in the Golden Globes, and while there were a handful of Coen Bros.-like dark comedy moments that had me chuckling, there was very little humor to go around. One of the bleakest movies I've seen in awhile, in fact.

The Menu: 7/10
Really fun movie. Cinematography was great. Fiennes was particularly good, as always. Over the top in a good way, though the character behaviors at various points didn't make a lot of sense, which did take me out of the film. Without using spoilers, why did the staff all buy into the chef's plan, and why did some of the customers (Leguizamo's girlfriend really jumped out) act the way they did at the end? They could have better fleshed that out, though there were a handful of throw-away lines that kind of connect the dots.

Warcraft 7/10
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. I guess because it didn’t do well and I had heard bad things about it … the story is solid, the cast excellent and the filmmaking really top notch. A shame we probably won’t get another one, especially after that ending.

The Dry 7/10
One of the best Australian films in a long time. Thoughtful murder mystery that uses the backdrop of the drought well. And after Andor and this, Genevieve O’Reilly is really on my must watch radar now.

Warcraft 7/10
Surprised how much I enjoyed this. I guess because it didn’t do well and I had heard bad things about it … the story is solid, the cast excellent and the filmmaking really top notch. A shame we probably won’t get another one, especially after that ending.
I totally agree! I think it's a highly entertaining fantasy movie with a good story and it looks beautiful. Too bad it didn't do to well, because I would've loved to see a sequel.

Dog 7/10
Really likeable Channing Tatum flick about a ranger who is ordered to drive a canine ranger down the west coast of US for the funeral of the dog’s handler who was KIA. Knowing nothing about this subject I found it a fascinating and surprisingly emotional story between these two characters. Well worth the time.

The Banshees of Inisherin: 7/10
Fantastically acted, and a good story very well constructed, but it didn't fully resonate with me. So, it gets a high score for technical execution but loses points for not being something I loved or really want to see again. I saw it was nominated as a comedy in the Golden Globes, and while there were a handful of Coen Bros.-like dark comedy moments that had me chuckling, there was very little humor to go around. One of the bleakest movies I've seen in awhile, in fact.

McDonagh strikes me as an industry darling that's far more favored internally than with widespread audiences. But to be fair, Banshees is a personal grieving love letter to Ireland more than a marketable mainstream film. In that way, I think it's like The Deer Hunter, where most of the audience doesn't have the overall context and no one wants to take the explanation to the surface level.

A more interesting Colin Farrell movie was The Lobster. I can't say it was good or bad, more than the film stuck with me for a very long time.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 9/10
This was an incredible film. For some reason I never watched it before, but I'm glad I finally did. I watched it last friday and it has been on my mind ever since. The story, setting, characters, acting and music are outstanding and make for a compelling movie that made me laugh and cry.

The Big Lebowski - 8/10
I went bowling on saturday and me and a buddy quoted some bits of this movie, so I felt I should watch it again. It remains a classic!

The Banshees of Inisherin - 8.5/10
I just saw it last night and I think it was a great film. It looked beautiful, I loved the characters and the acting was outstanding. The story was really bleak, but there was a lot of good, dark humor in it as well which balanced out perfectly in my opinion. Ofcourse the story was full of metaphores and allegories. Some of which I did get, but I'm sure there are also a lot that I haven't . The thing that resonated the most with me was the plain simple fact of Colm telling Pádraic he doesn't want to be friends anymore. I experienced something similar a couple of years ago where my best friend just stopped talking to me from one day to the next. Never have been able to get another word out of him. To this day I have no idea why, or if it was because something I had done. The way the film captured the feeling of the loss of the friendship, to the self doubt about why and ultimately resentment was really well done. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bring back feelings to my own experience. It really hits home actually.

Last edited:
I suppose I should watch this film. Hearing so much about these Banshees.

I've never (knowingly) experienced the deliberate ending of a friendship. Which is not to say I'm still actively friends with everyone I've ever been friends with - just as far as I'm concerned those were natural transitions from one person or group of people to another.

I've never (knowingly) experienced the deliberate ending of a friendship. Which is not to say I'm still actively friends with everyone I've ever been friends with - just as far as I'm concerned those were natural transitions from one person or group of people to another.
I've had those too. I think everybody does. That's just life. The sudden and deliberate ending of a friendship is... quite an experience.

I totally agree! I think it's a highly entertaining fantasy movie with a good story and it looks beautiful. Too bad it didn't do to well, because I would've loved to see a sequel.

There's a Warcraft movie?

Glass Onion 9/10

Smartly written, kept me engaged, didn't seem like it was over 2 hours. Not too hard figure out 1 angle though. This is close as you can get to an Agatha Christie story in the 21st century.

Welcome, my friend

(Pause)

It's not you, it's me, it's always been me.

(Slightly longer pause)

I don't know where you begin and I end

(Stares at you uncomfortably. You consider if you've ever lent me money or not )

Letting go isn't a one time thing, its something you do everyday, over and over again.

( The horror within you comes up to your throat. You realize I've been quoting Dawson's Creek the entire time you've known me. THE ENTIRE TIME )

As you exit, consider this as a growth opportunity. Anybody who ever built an empire, or changed the world, sat where you are now. And it's because they sat there that they were able to do it.

( You back slowly to the door. Not turning your back. Very deliberate. You suddenly realize you could strangle James Van Der Beek with piano wire and no one would notice. Not even Pacey. )

#WelcomeToTheClubOfEndedFriendships

The Banshees of Inisherin - 8.5/10
I just saw it last night and I think it was a great film. It looked beautiful, I loved the characters and the acting was outstanding. The story was really bleak, but there was a lot of good, dark humor in it as well which balanced out perfectly in my opinion. Ofcourse the story was full of metaphores and allegories. Some of which I did get, but I'm sure there are also a lot that I haven't . The thing that resonated the most with me was the plain simple fact of Colm telling Pádraic he doesn't want to be friends anymore. I experienced something similar a couple of years ago where my best friend just stopped talking to me from one day to the next. Never have been able to get another word out of him. To this day I have no idea why, or if it was because something I had done. The way the film captured the feeling of the loss of the friendship, to the self doubt about why and ultimately resentment was really well done. I'd be lying if I said it didn't bring back feelings to my own experience. It really hits home actually.

Banshees rides right on the edge of satire. McDonagh doesn't take it all the way there, but it comes very close.

Two shows that do a better and more extended job of discussing dysfunction and the pathology of loss and narcissism would be, IMHO, Ryan Murphy's Nip/Tuck and David Chase's The Sopranos.

An uncomfortable truth about most people ( not all but I'd say nearly all) is their interactions comes with motives and with a sharp eye on utility. What can this person do for me today or possibly do for me in the future. Status is a very powerful social weapon, sometimes it can be downright lethal.

For any number of reasons, when a person sees the utility wash away, their motive disappears and they disappear.

Nip/Tuck takes a pretty hard look at "What You Are" Versus "Who You Are" What You Are is about utility. It's how you look, it's your job or career, it's how much money you have, it's the neighborhood you live in, it's if you are college educated or not, etc, etc. Who You Are is your character, your sense of humor, your value system, how you treat people, what you do when adversity strikes, etc, etc. Very few people see the value in others based on "Who You Are"

The Sopranos is a cautionary tale, the only way out of a legacy of toxicity is to escape in full. In that way, what Colm does makes perfect sense and yet no sense at all ( his sister points out the open flaws in the behavior, it's an island, it's a tiny town, where is he going to go?) This is why Kerry Condon has a mental breakdown and leaves Colin Farrell behind. She's more self aware than both of them and sees her only chance is to escape.

My answer to you is both more simple and more complex at the same time. When people leave your life, often they are just trying to save themselves. They are drowning in something and can't carry anything else as they reach up to find a lifeline. The people already in their life are not that lifeline. Right or wrong, once I looked at things in those terms, it processed much differently. And if it doesn't make sense, the truth is it probably makes absolutely no sense at all. Just like in Banshees ( There's a certain level of cognitive dissonance in someone who resents the tiny town on an island that they won't leave) , the actions aren't always measured and rational, often they are from a place of total desperation.

I've seen a lot of death in my life. So I process loss a bit differently. Not better or worse, just differently. When people have come in and out of my life, I accept the loss, both good and bad, just like how a book moves the story forward as you turn pages. I'm also OK with not having answers. Grief and loss are things you feel. Once I came to terms that I could not apply logic to feelings, it was much easier to let go.

The things that stick to you aren't the narratives that try to corner you and demand you comply to their viewpoints ( which is why woke and identity politics in film receives so much back lash) , it's the arcs that ask you to deeply think and consider your overall value system as a person. A good film incites within a person an uncomfortable conversation that they don't want to have with themselves but can't ignore any longer.

Saw Avatar: The Way Of Water yesterday. It did not lose sight of the original plot, and I quite enjoyed it overall. It was equal to the first one for me, which sequels are typically not. It's obviously water-flavored instead of air-flavored this time. The only part of the movie that seemed sort-of far-fetched to me or like "Nah no way" was obviously needed for the third movie to exist, so you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. Other than that I liked it a lot and the 3 hours went by quickly with good pacing.

8.5/10

Skinamarink - 2 out of 10

New horror film that some are raving over

I think I’m giving it two stars because I talked to people after the film that were really freaked out by it. So I tried to look at it differently.

Seemed like it was made by a gifted 4yr old. The closer you are to that age the more you might enjoy this film and I don’t mean that as an insult.

Watch the trailer. Then imagine watching that for an hour and forty minutes. Lol.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 7/10
Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. It isn't a good movie, but it is a fun one. Great creature designs, awesome score, cool actors. Just an awesome popcorn flick.
I hadn't seen this since I first saw it 13 years ago. I remember being slightly disappointed by it however I really wanted to give it another watch.

On second viewing it's not as bad as I remember and I quite enjoyed it. The filming locations are gorgeous - especially the slate mines in Wales, a place I have been too.

The two things that bugged me back in the day still bug me now; Worthington's Aussie accent (he was good in the role however I think Perseus could have been cast better) and the dodgy CGI on Medusa (especially the face).

Is Wrath worth watching?

I hadn't seen this since I first saw it 13 years ago. I remember being slightly disappointed by it however I really wanted to give it another watch.

On second viewing it's not as bad as I remember and I quite enjoyed it. The filming locations are gorgeous - especially the slate mines in Wales, a place I have been too.

The two things that bugged me back in the day still bug me now; Worthington's Aussie accent (he was good in the role however I think Perseus could have been cast better) and the dodgy CGI on Medusa (especially the face).

Is Wrath worth watching?

Perseus has a Danny McBride mullet and a lame son, Gemma Arterton isn't around, Alexa Davalos has been replaced with Rosemund Pike. But both Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are back. Toby Kebbell and Bill Nighy join the cast and there are new and different monsters and creatures around that still look pretty cool. The locations feel a bit more bland, but yeah I'd say it's worth a watch.

Everything Everywhere All at Once 6/10

So much hype around this movie, even a BP Oscar frontrunner, but I wasn't a huge fan. Overall it was just too absurd and rather stupid in places. It was a decent message, but it was just a bit weird for me. I think the performances were decent, but all have been overhyped with this film.

Tàr 8.5/10

This was a slow burn, but really built up towards the end as Lydia's life eventually implodes due to her own actions. Exceptional performance by Cate Blanchett who completely embodies the character of Lydia Tàr. Watched this twice to pick up on some of the finer details.

Everything Everywhere All at Once 6/10

So much hype around this movie, even a BP Oscar frontrunner, but I wasn't a huge fan. Overall it was just too absurd and rather stupid in places. It was a decent message, but it was just a bit weird for me. I think the performances were decent, but all have been overhyped with this film.
Yeah I wasn’t overly keen on it the first time but ended up seeing it again a second time and it played much better. It does pack a lot in and it’s easy to get overwhelmed by it the first time.

Back